BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

11-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #1299
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

We've had an uptick in car jackings this week in Orleans Parish. This poor guy had all his truck stolen with the bed full of his work tools. The first video is the news video but the second is from his camera on the corner. I wish someone would have put a bullet in these mofo's and dropped them.

The other car jacking someone beat an 80 something year old woman and stole her car. The 2nd yanked the mom & child out of the car & then stole it. All in broad daylight. I don't watch the news but had 3 different people on 3 different days tell me these stories. I'm like damn, need to charge my taser.

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/11/12/...8axKLIvBWuuXBM
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24821.50
      11-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #1300
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Truthfully......

....that the narratives presented/depicted by the media regarding use(s) of force are bullshit. If I could take every person I knew on a ride along - all liability waived - and have them handle the dangerous calls, they would finally have perspective. Tonight we pulled a gun off of a 13 year old Hispanic female runaway; 105 lbs. soaked and wet. She called dispatch claiming she was lost and didn't know how to get home. A search of her person netted a gun; I noticed a suspicious bulge under her black hoodie. You would've never guessed somebody like her would have a Walther tucked in her underwear.

I think the community could be more supportive by just allowing investigations to take their natural course before vilifying the cop. A body cam doesn't paint the entire picture and the insight it provides is helpful, but limited.
I'm there. I recognize that not all use of force is "pretty". And if it is justified someone could get injured seriously. Or if forced to escalate someone might get dead. I withhold judgement both ways until the evidence is completely in.

I remember the Rodney King incident. The media should be sued into non-existence for their role in the riots and deaths that happened when they showed the short clip of what happened. Did Rodney get a few licks he shouldn't have? Yes. Should some of the cops there have been given demotion and/or remedial training? Yes. But Rodney was clearly a scary dude high on something and brought much of it on himself. He was not an innocent motorist pulled over "driving while black". My guess is had he not resisted he would not have been hit at all. We will never know.

On the flip side if an officer is clearly shown to use inappropriate force I want that SOB in prison for a long time. We accord police a level of power in order to allow them to protect us. One abusing that power needs to be handled harshly. But until it is clear the cop was in the wrong I am inclined to believe the cop over the perp.
Appreciate 6
Sedan_Clan24821.50
Murf99314114.00
paquet629.50
DYoung32.00
      11-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #1301
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's late at night. You are headed west thru ag fields, 2 lane road. You are 1/2 mile from the next intersection, light-controlled. You see a single vehicle eastbound, enter the protected left turn pocket that normally does change once a car enters and no traffic oncoming. The eastbound vehicle proceeds to make the left turn while you still observe the westbound traffic has a green light.

Once you reach the intersection, do you A) continue west B) turn north and pull me.. er ah my friend over?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #1302
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Truthfully......

....that the narratives presented/depicted by the media regarding use(s) of force are bullshit. If I could take every person I knew on a ride along - all liability waived - and have them handle the dangerous calls, they would finally have perspective. Tonight we pulled a gun off of a 13 year old Hispanic female runaway; 105 lbs. soaked and wet. She called dispatch claiming she was lost and didn't know how to get home. A search of her person netted a gun; I noticed a suspicious bulge under her black hoodie. You would've never guessed somebody like her would have a Walther tucked in her underwear.

I think the community could be more supportive by just allowing investigations to take their natural course before vilifying the cop. A body cam doesn't paint the entire picture and the insight it provides is helpful, but limited.
One of the most egregious examples of this ill-informed armchair quarterbacking was a case near me where several units responded to a call of a guy acting erratically and brandishing a sword. Four or five cops had their pistols on him, in a small bedroom, talking with him and trying to de-escalate. He lunged at one of the cops with the sword raised and they all fired, as expected. They guy went down and died on the scene.

The news media expressed shock and outrage that all the cops fired at him, and that he was hit so many times. In addition to being sensational and disrespectful, it demonstrates a profound and willful ignorance of what cops are up against on every shift, and how few options they have in some situations. Everyone with any sense was appalled at how the media handled this, but the media have still not learned to show restraint and patience when it comes to covering use-of-force stories. Even in the era of body cams, important context can be missing if that's all that's taken into account in analyzing an incident.
Murf99314114.00
scostu1619.50
      11-17-2020, 11:17 AM   #1303
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
It's late at night. You are headed west thru ag fields, 2 lane road. You are 1/2 mile from the next intersection, light-controlled. You see a single vehicle eastbound, enter the protected left turn pocket that normally does change once a car enters and no traffic oncoming. The eastbound vehicle proceeds to make the left turn while you still observe the westbound traffic has a green light.

Once you reach the intersection, do you A) continue west B) turn north and pull me.. er ah my friend over?
Enjoy your turn. I'm hunting for donuts. Lol!
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
vreihen1614892.50
      11-17-2020, 11:19 AM   #1304
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Quote:
Truthfully......

One of the most egregious examples of this ill-informed armchair quarterbacking was a case near me where several units responded to a call of a guy acting erratically and brandishing a sword. Four or five cops had their pistols on him, in a small bedroom, talking with him and trying to de-escalate. He lunged at one of the cops with the sword raised and they all fired, as expected. They guy went down and died on the scene.

The news media expressed shock and outrage that all the cops fired at him, and that he was hit so many times. In addition to being sensational and disrespectful, it demonstrates a profound and willful ignorance of what cops are up against on every shift, and how few options they have in some situations. Everyone with any sense was appalled at how the media handled this, but the media have still not learned to show restraint and patience when it comes to covering use-of-force stories. Even in the era of body cams, important context can be missing if that's all that's taken into account in analyzing an incident.
Very well articulated.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      11-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #1305
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I'm there. I recognize that not all use of force is "pretty". And if it is justified someone could get injured seriously. Or if forced to escalate someone might get dead. I withhold judgement both ways until the evidence is completely in.

I remember the Rodney King incident. The media should be sued into non-existence for their role in the riots and deaths that happened when they showed the short clip of what happened. Did Rodney get a few licks he shouldn't have? Yes. Should some of the cops there have been given demotion and/or remedial training? Yes. But Rodney was clearly a scary dude high on something and brought much of it on himself. He was not an innocent motorist pulled over "driving while black". My guess is had he not resisted he would not have been hit at all. We will never know.

On the flip side if an officer is clearly shown to use inappropriate force I want that SOB in prison for a long time. We accord police a level of power in order to allow them to protect us. One abusing that power needs to be handled harshly. But until it is clear the cop was in the wrong I am inclined to believe the cop over the perp.
Clearly at least some in the media get a sick sense of satisfaction by stirring up controversy, even if it results in violence and destruction. Or maybe especially when that happens. I suppose it gives them a sense of power. They then hide behind the "reporter/observer" ruse, to shrug off responsibility for the consequences of their work. Deplorable.
UncleWede17877.00
jamesinaz1627.00
      11-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #1306
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
Exactly!! Except for the donut part lol!
      11-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #1307
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Quote:
Exactly!! Except for the donut part lol!
I wanted to say, "Hunting for gummy bears and various flavors of Mountain Dew," but it didn't fit the stereotype. Lol!
Appreciate 4
Murf99314114.00
UncleWede17877.00
wcr3d460.50
      11-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #1308
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to say, "Hunting for gummy bears and various flavors of Mountain Dew," but it didn't fit the stereotype. Lol!

11-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #1309
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
When it comes to stolen auto related parts (wheels/tires/spoilers), how low of a priority are they for you? Do you actually take the time to view any evidence/footage and if it’s legitimate, try to apprehend/find the perp(s)?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #1310
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
When it comes to stolen auto related parts (wheels/tires/spoilers), how low of a priority are they for you? Do you actually take the time to view any evidence/footage and if it's legitimate, try to apprehend/find the perp(s)?
We do, IF there's video and other identifiable information available. Absent any information to follow up on, no real investigation is done.
Appreciate 3
F30lolz6798.50
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614892.50
      11-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #1311
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
When it comes to stolen auto related parts (wheels/tires/spoilers), how low of a priority are they for you? Do you actually take the time to view any evidence/footage and if it’s legitimate, try to apprehend/find the perp(s)?
Well it all depends, here in SoCal property crime in progress then it would be a priority 2A 10852 VC (Tampering or removing parts from a vehicle etc). I would respond then do a thorough investigation by doing an area check, ask if the bird (Helicopter) is available, attempt to locate any suspect or suspects by having other units set up a perimeter, interview the reporting party or the victim and any witness or witnesses, video surveillance if available. Hope to get a descriptions of the suspects and their DOT. Have ID tech come out to dust for prints and take photographs. Find the suspects, take them to jail. Before you even finish writing your report, they'll be out jail...
If its a past property crime then it would be a priority 3 or maybe even 4A meaning if the crime happened last night and you called to report it the next day. Do the same process without using the bird.
      11-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #1312
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Quote:
Well it all depends, here in SoCal property crime in progress then it would be a priority 2A 10852 VC (Tampering or removing parts from a vehicle etc). I would respond then do a thorough investigation by doing an area check, ask if the bird (Helicopter) is available, attempt to locate any suspect or suspects by having other units set up a perimeter, interview the reporting party or the victim and any witness or witnesses, video surveillance if available. Hope to get a descriptions of the suspects and their DOT. Have ID tech come out to dust for prints and take photographs. Find the suspects, take them to jail. Before you even finish writing your report, they'll be out jail...
If its a past property crime then it would be a priority 3 or maybe even 4A meaning if the crime happened last night and you called to report it the next day. Do the same process without using the bird.
Seems pretty thorough!

In NY, all you get is a Police report for stolen property to run through your insurance. Nothing further
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614892.50
jmack548.50
      11-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #1313
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
....all for them to be cited out and released the next day. Damn California!
Appreciate 2
mahalom3163.00
Murf99314114.00
      11-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #1314
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Quote:
Quote:
When it comes to stolen auto related parts (wheels/tires/spoilers), how low of a priority are they for you? Do you actually take the time to view any evidence/footage and if it's legitimate, try to apprehend/find the perp(s)?
Seems pretty thorough!

In NY, all you get is a Police report for stolen property to run through your insurance. Nothing further
If it's a crime that already occurred, that's basically all that my department does as well. We'll respond and take a 484 P.C./487 P.C. report if the informant wants one. A crime in progress would be handled how mahalom3 outlined.
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2020, 05:12 PM   #1315
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On a deserted ag road?

Umm, you're doing it wrong
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24821.50
      11-18-2020, 12:52 AM   #1316
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fingerprints and helicopters for stolen car parts? Seriously? I've never heard of a department doing prints or DNA or any other lab work except in felony crimes against persons.
      11-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #1317
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Fingerprints and helicopters for stolen car parts? Seriously? I've never heard of a department doing prints or DNA or any other lab work except in felony crimes against persons.
They are talking about California, where you can call it in as a person in possession of aftermarket automobile parts without a CARB sticker...which is punishable by the death penalty.....
Smgs1992720.00
F30lolz6798.50
      11-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #1318
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
On my way to Boston back in 2011 from NY picking up my new to me e39 M5, I was driving my friends e46 ZHP maybe doing 15 over the limit in the middle lane on a three (3) lane highway. Over the hill we see numerous troopers on the shoulder with a few cars pulled over. A trooper was standing near the shoulder and we both made eye contact. He points over to me to pull over but I just kept going thinking to myself oh shit lol. There was traffic behind me but I didn’t see them chase me down.

Thinking was he bluffing? Even though they didn’t come out and get me, was he hoping I would have pulled over in ‘good faith’?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #1319
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
was he hoping I would have pulled over in ‘good faith’?
I did that once. I was taking the shortcut across campus at UCSB, it was supposed to be for staff running carts to/from dining commons. Two officers, in shorts, on bikes, and I pulled over. Not ticket was written.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      11-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #1320
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
was he hoping I would have pulled over in ‘good faith’?
I did that once. I was taking the shortcut across campus at UCSB, it was supposed to be for staff running carts to/from dining commons. Two officers, in shorts, on bikes, and I pulled over. Not ticket was written.
Yeah, to this point, most Leo's, Military Service Members and other first responders are people just like everyone else.

If you just show a little mutual respect and carry yourself with honesty and dignity, you might be pleasantly surprised on the outcome of that short interaction.

I will try to post a pic later, but I remember a long time ago I was on a motorcycle run with about 8-10 guys from various military branch services. Not a large group by most standards.

Since the group was made up of random dudes who decided to meet up after bumping into each other on the shared installation over the course of a few months, the run was very tame and not aggressive by any means.

Got lit up by a State Trooper and everyone one of us pulled over. The cop was noticeably appreciative of the fact that we didn't run, so he let all of the modified, less than legal bike owners off with a warning and well wishes. It's possible the military IDs helped, but State Troopers are notoriously less forgiving than local Leo's towards military guys.

As for the reason we got pulled over, I remember the cop saying someone in a car we passed a few miles back dialed 911 and called us in for being too loud early in the morning, lol.
F30lolz6798.50
scostu1619.50