Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Guys my 2 cents after reviewing all the comments are :
-The car detects the key that was used to open the vehicle the first time on the specific trip until engine is off, doors are locked.

Hence it recognizes the driver profile and applied their settings, locks the car if that key fob walks away and deactivates sensing the other key fob in the vehicle until the other key fob is used.

-If you used the buttons in key fob to unlock/lock the car it overrides the comfort proximity access of lock and unlock until engine is started or the driver door is physically opened and shut.

-having passengers in the car without seatbelts disables sensing their presence and activates the alarm if they moved while the car is locked by any means. (Alarm went off while I was in the driver seat and doors locked).

- In the door locking /unlocking setting, if it's set to unlock driver door only and you start by the rear or passenger door the auto lock rules will apply. unless you have the fob with you when opening the driver door.

This is been my experience, which might be a bit different with others depending on their settings.

I recommend:
- making the unlock settings to all doors instead of just driver door.
-Don't auto-unlock doors when trip is finished.
-trunk to upper door only.
- disable trunk🦵kick lock yet keep the kick open.
👆🏻this has worked well for me, specially with 3 little minions. Running around the car all the time.

Finally I think Life would be much easier if such features rules are either explained in the manual or at the delivery of the vehicle. Which I think no SA would go through with any customer yet they could handout a document explaining this or at least request BMW to include this in the starting up videos in the vehicle and the update physical manual. Or the least their YouTube channel.
      11-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #24
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
-The car detects the key that was used to open the vehicle the first time on the specific trip until engine is off, doors are locked.

Hence it recognizes the driver profile and applied their settings, locks the car if that key fob walks away and deactivates sensing the other key fob in the vehicle until the other key fob is used.

-If you used the buttons in key fob to unlock/lock the car it overrides the comfort proximity access of lock and unlock until engine is started or the driver door is physically opened and shut.

-having passengers in the car without seatbelts disables sensing their presence and activates the alarm if they moved while the car is locked by any means. (Alarm went off while I was in the driver seat and doors locked).

- In the door locking /unlocking setting, if it's set to unlock driver door only and you start by the rear or passenger door the auto lock rules will apply. unless you have the fob with you when opening the driver door.

This is been my experience, which might be a bit different with others depending on their settings.

I recommend:
👆🏻this has worked well for me, specially with 3 little minions. Running around the car all the time.

Finally I think Life would be much easier if such features rules are either explained in the manual or at the delivery of the vehicle. Which I think no SA would go through with any customer yet they could handout a document explaining this or at least request BMW to include this in the starting up videos in the vehicle and the update physical manual. Or the least their YouTube channel.
Please read my posts again.

There is definitely a problem with BMW's implementation. Let me run down the scenario again for you.

I am by myself with my key fob in my pocket. I walk up the the car, touch the handle to unlock, and enter the vehicle. The vehicle recognizes my profile and displays my name on the information display.

As I'm sitting in the driver's seat waiting for my wife, she walks out of the house and walks by the car on her way out of the garage to check something in the front of the house. As she walks by and reaches the BMW's key fob detection range for locking the vehicle when walking away, the car locks, folds the mirrors and enables the alarm. All of this while I'm sitting in the driver's seat with my key fob in my pocket. This all takes place less than 30 seconds from me entering the vehicle. My wife's key fob took over as lead key and ignored my key and me sitting in the driver's seat.

If this is by design then BMW engineers are true idiots!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #25
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Folks - I just started a thread on this issue. See here.

My wife just mentioned a similar scenario that keeps happening to her:

She puts the car in Park, gets out, walks around to the other side to get one of our kids out of the car, but that door is always locked. She then has to walk all the way around again to the driver's door to manually press the Unlock button.

BMW: What the hell are you guys doing? Stop sucking so much.
You can change this setting. I had to or it would drive me nuts. I had to do that for my daughter as well. Its in doors/locks Im pretty sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #26
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
You're not alone. This type of thing happens to me all the time. I'm sitting in the driver's seat with my key in my pocket and my wife walks by the car and out the garage with her key in her purse. The car shuts down, locks the car, fold's the mirror's in all while I'm sitting there in the drivers seat with my key. I have comfort access set to lock when walking away.

Another scenario is when my wife is sitting in the passenger seat with her purse and the keys to BMW in her purse. I exit the driver's side and walk away. The car locks, folds the mirrors, shuts down and enables the alarm. All while my wife is sitting there in the passenger seat with her keys in her purse. If she moves around in the car or just wiggles around in the seat the alarm goes off.

BMW needs to get their act together on this issue. It's should be very simple to implement a fix. The car can sense both keys so it should not be locking the vehicle when it senses a key. But not BMW. You can easily lock your keys in the car with a BMW. Not so with other automakers.

I own two Toyota vehicles in addition to my X7. Neither one of my Toyota vehicles will allow you lock the vehicle if there is a key fob in the vehicle. Both Toyota vehicles are well over 10 years old. Yet a brand new BMW is to dumb to figure out when there is a key in the car and not to lock the car if the key is in it.

Very frustrating indeed!
Agreed. It should detect both keys no matter who's user is driving. I assume that is the issue. That when you left your house (because it detected your key/user) it only saw your key when you left the car. Not hers at all.

This could be for both scenarios you mentioned. It should know if there is a key there no matter what.

I love the comfort access. I'm not going to lie. But when it locks my daughter in the car without even having a key and walking away. There is a huge issue. - I did talk to BMW today about this specific scenario. The 12V battery in the car was defective. They replaced it and didn't see any issues arise after that.

But not sure if that would ever fix the issue of your wife walking by the car with her key and then walking away with you in the car with your key.

Last edited by kdesign7; 11-16-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 12:34 AM   #27
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I recommend:

Please read my posts again.

There is definitely a problem with BMW's implementation. Let me run down the scenario again for you.

I am by myself with my key fob in my pocket. I walk up the the car, touch the handle to unlock, and enter the vehicle. The vehicle recognizes my profile and displays my name on the information display.

As I'm sitting in the driver's seat waiting for my wife, she walks out of the house and walks by the car on her way out of the garage to check something in the front of the house. As she walks by and reaches the BMW's key fob detection range for locking the vehicle when walking away, the car locks, folds the mirrors and enables the alarm. All of this while I'm sitting in the driver's seat with my key fob in my pocket. This all takes place less than 30 seconds from me entering the vehicle. My wife's key fob took over as lead key and ignored my key and me sitting in the driver's seat.

If this is by design then BMW engineers are true idiots!
Ok now I get it.
Something seems off here. I haven't witnessed this yet and we do have the same habits. My wife does what you've described every trip we make. No issues locking or anything.
What software version are you on ?
      11-17-2020, 02:13 AM   #28
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok now I get it.
Something seems off here. I haven't witnessed this yet and we do have the same habits. My wife does what you've described every trip we make. No issues locking or anything.
It's done this on 07/2019.59, 03/2020.31, 07/2020.30, and the current 07/2020.54. I've also tried removing my wife's profile and adding it again to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:38 AM   #29
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just got my car back. It's on 2020.60. Hoping that helps locking issues. We will see. I'll try some scenarios today and update with what I find.

My husband uses the digital key card. So I know that hasn't been a problem with him walking around the car. But you have to tap the car on the door for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #30
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
I just got my car back. It's on 2020.60. Hoping that helps locking issues. We will see. I'll try some scenarios today and update with what I find.

My husband uses the digital key card. So I know that hasn't been a problem with him walking around the car. But you have to tap the car on the door for it to work.
That's going to be a bit different
The easy access /proximity sensing operates differently with the key card, were you experiencing similar issues with that?
      11-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #31
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The easy access /proximity sensing operates differently with the key card, were you experiencing similar issues with that?
The only thing I know happens is; when the card is in his wallet (not in the card holder) that it still locks when I leave with the key and the alarm will sound if he moves. The card definitely doesn't lock or unlock the doors unless you touch it to them. Which I've never tested with me already unlocking the door when I walk towards it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #32
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The only thing I know happens is; when the card is in his wallet (not in the card holder) that it still locks when I leave with the key and the alarm will sound if he moves. The card definitely doesn't lock or unlock the doors unless you touch it to them. Which I've never tested with me already unlocking the door when I walk towards it.
That's sounds like normal behavior
If the card isn't in the tray. It's not sensed / active and the vehicle wouldn't know it's in the car.
Hence you have to leave it there when you start the car and while driving otherwise the vehicle would tell you key is missing.

I guess the issue with other folks is a little more complex and personally I think it's to do with driver profile logic / rules.
      11-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #33
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ok now I get it.
It's done this on 07/2019.59, 03/2020.31, 07/2020.30, and the current 07/2020.54. I've also tried removing my wife's profile and adding it again to no avail.
It seems to me that the vehicle hands over the active key fob to your wife's as it detects her fob movement around the vehicle. And by doing so deactivates your key fob rendering it insensible, ... triggering the alarm in case of movement inside the car.

I'll have to search what is the key hotspot in the car. I remember it being the start button. But that just inconvenient to keep tapping it.

Way I see it is to ask for easy access recalibration. If that's something they can do. And adjust the key fob sensors.

I would assume that the sensing range should be deactivated once there's an existing key in the vehicle.

Achieving that is another ball game thou.
      11-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #34
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It seems to me that the vehicle hands over the active key fob to your wife's as it detects her fob movement around the vehicle. And by doing so deactivates your key fob rendering it insensible, ... triggering the alarm in case of movement inside the car.

I'll have to search what is the key hotspot in the car. I remember it being the start button. But that just inconvenient to keep tapping it.

Way I see it is to ask for easy access recalibration. If that's something they can do. And adjust the key fob sensors.

I would assume that the sensing range should be deactivated once there's an existing key in the vehicle.

I've already addressed this with the Dealer Service Department. Their investigative troubleshooting states that the vehicle is operating as intended.

If you could try the same thing with your vehicle and report back your results then maybe I can use that as evidence next time I take the vehicle in for service. Please report what iStep version your vehicle is on as well to help determine if it's iStep version related.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #35
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I've already addressed this with the Dealer Service Department. Their investigative troubleshooting states that the vehicle is operating as intended.

If you could try the same thing with your vehicle and report back your results then maybe I can use that as evidence next time I take the vehicle in for service. Please report what iStep version your vehicle is on as well to help determine if it's iStep version related.
Will certainly do that
No worries.
      11-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #36
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Mitch
Just did that test and my vehicle doesn't behave as described.

Opened the vehicle from the drivers door, sat there while engine is off for few minutes
Gave the other key fob to my kid and he moved around the vehicle in close 360 circles sometimes touching it.

Car didn't lock or unlock in anyway.

My software current is 07.2020.54
My build is February 2020
      11-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #37
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mitch

Opened the vehicle from the drivers door, sat there while engine is off for few minutes
Gave the other key fob to my kid and he moved around the vehicle in close 360 circles sometimes touching it.

Thanks for doing that. However, that's the wrong scenario. See below:

Make sure comfort access is set to lock when leaving but NOT unlock when approaching.

1. Leave your spare key with your kid while he/she is in the house.
2. Have your key in your pocket and walk out to the car, open the door by touching the handle with your key in your pocket, hop in and sit in the driver's seat for about a minute or so without starting the car.

3.Tell your kid to walk out of the house with his key in hand or pocket and walk in front of the car and around the side walking away from the car until he/she has reached the distance where the comfort access locks the car. If it doesn't lock the car while you are in it with your key then you are golden. If, however, the car locks when your kid reaches the trigger point for the comfort access then there is a problem with the way BMW detects/initializes/prioritizes the functionality of the key fobs.

Anxiously awaiting your test results.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #38
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Mitch

Thanks for doing that. However, that's the wrong scenario. See below:

Make sure comfort access is set to lock when leaving but NOT unlock when approaching.

1. Leave your spare key with your kid while he/she is in the house.
2. Have your key in your pocket and walk out to the car, open the door by touching the handle with your key in your pocket, hop in and sit in the driver's seat for about a minute or so without starting the car.

3.Tell your kid to walk out of the house with his key in hand or pocket and walk in front of the car and around the side walking away from the car until he/she has reached the distance where the comfort access locks the car. If it doesn't lock the car while you are in it with your key then you are golden. If, however, the car locks when your kid reaches the trigger point for the comfort access then there is a problem with the way BMW detects/initializes/prioritizes the functionality of the key fobs.

Anxiously awaiting your test results.
Same results
I would advise you to try this with a vehicle at the dealers lot. To show them first hand.
      11-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #39
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Same results
I would advise you to try this with a vehicle at the dealers lot. To show them first hand.
Thanks for doing testing that for me. I will demonstrate this next time I'm at the dealer for service.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 11:38 PM   #40
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
Same results
Thanks for doing testing that for me. I will demonstrate this next time I'm at the dealer for service.
I tried as well and nothing happened except my wife yelling at me for wasting her time.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      11-22-2020, 01:17 AM   #41
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
On top of that major blunder BMW likes to lock the passengers in the car with no way to get out. If a passenger is in the car without a key fob present and the doors are locked by key fob or comfort access, that passenger can not unlock the doors or windows. pushing on the door lock/unlock buttons does nothing. pulling on the door handle does nothing. I think there is some secret method to unlock it from inside but don't remember what it is off hand.
Really? The standard double-pull of BMW doesn't work? One pull to unlock, 2nd pull to open the door?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #42
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Really? The standard double-pull of BMW doesn't work? One pull to unlock, 2nd pull to open the door?
I'll try again and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 02:59 AM   #43
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

More wonky key fob issues.

Today with, my less than one-month-old battery, in my key fob, in my pocket, I get in and drive my wife to the store. She has her key fob in her purse, and I have mine in my pocket, with nothing but the key fob in that pocket.

We get to the store and I put it in park and turn the engine off. The Bluetooth is still streaming and I'm listening to music. My wife gets out of the car with her purse and her key fob, walks about 3 feet from the car, and the car locks, the mirrors fold in, and the car alarm arms.

All of this happens while I'm sitting in the driver's seat with my seat belt on and my key fob in my pocket.

I think there's something going on with my wife's key fob. I think I'm going to ask for a replacement key for my wife's key fob at my next service. All these issues seem to be related to her key fob. I have no issues when it's just me and my key fob.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #44
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Who got in the car first? Maybe recognized her profile first so when she got out the car shutdown?

I guess it should still recognize that somebody is in the car and not shut down.
Appreciate 0