BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Interior Noise Coming from Rear split Doors?

11-23-2020, 12:15 AM   #1
Kagcar
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7, FJ Cruiser, X7 M50i

Interior Noise Coming from Rear split Doors?

I have about 3K miles on my X7 M50i — and I have just started to hear a thunking-rattle from the rear of the cabin that seems to be emanating from the split access doors when going over rough road bumps or when going over segments where the left and right sides of the truck are at different elevations — almost as if the truck is twisting (but not literally of course.) I thought it could also be the access cover in the floor to the spare tire storage but I cannot seem to isolate the sound to determine its source.

To be clear, it is less of rattle and more of a thunking sound, like something heavier and more solid than plastic or metal — and it is definitely more closely related to something inside the cabin or very close to it — not something underneath or outside the truck I am hearing on the inside. When driving over level (left to right) and typical, relatively smooth roads, this sound rarely occurs and the truck is very solid and quiet.

Speed is not a factor either as it can happen when going fast or going slow Like pulling into my driveway at 2-3 MPH and the truck is traversing elevation changes whereby the left and right sides of the truck are at different elevations, hence any slight twisting or resulting torque on the body could be causing the rear hatches to move ever-so-slighting on their gaskets???

It does not seem to be temperature related or related to the cargo cover which I removed, retracted, reseated, etc. It reminds me of the sound that sometimes came from the rear hatch of my Saab 900 Turbo over rough roads. (I solved this by placing a cloth on the wood cargo cover to add pressure to keep the rear hatch from vibrating.)

I suspect it is the rear split access doors since it seems like I can replicate the noise if I stand outside the X7 and push down firmly on the upper door section off center on either the left or right side. . . It almost seems like the firmness of the doors needs to be adjusted??

Also — and this may seem odd — the sound appeared after I had the truck detailed, I am sure this is a coincidence but maybe something they used on the rear hatch gaskets is causing the sound when there is movement in the doors due to normally non-perceivable body movement, road vibration and extreme road bumps???

Does anyone else have this issue and any ideas how to isolate this or even fix it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Possible the wedging and/or rubber bumpers need adjustment. With only 3K miles, I'd probably just let the dealer fix it unless you really want to mess with taking it apart. I could not find any repair instructions online. Just inside each taillight while the tailgate is up, there is a black plastic cover that can be removed exposing the adjustment mechanism. You can pry out from the top and bottom on the cover ... it comes straight back. There are metal bars on either side of the top tailgate attached at the strut that rub against those wedges. There's a torx screw that holds the adjustment of the wedges in/out. I'm sure there's a gap spec but I cannot find it. Supposedly the rubber stop can be adjusted in/out as well. If you really want to isolate the noise, maybe just stick some adhesive felt pads like you would use for furniture legs and stick on those areas until the noise goes away.

Also, verify the detailer did not knock something loose while working in those areas.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Kagcar
Rep

Thanks for the suggestion and looking for info.

I will ask the dealer to adjust this, at least let them take a crack at it!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:00 PM   #4
MIBMWGuy
Rep
Drives: X7

Did dealer resolve?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
Kagcar
Rep

Well, with COVID and all, I have not brought my truck there for the time being. Obviously it is not a critical issue, just an audible frustration!

I figure next service call, I will have them address it.

Thanks for asking!
Appreciate 0