BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

10-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #1167
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
You what? Seems very logical to me - You expect an officer to confront the worse of the worse in a country where guns are legal (so you have loads of them) and they would quit if you took their force multiplier away.

Coming from the UK - our cops are armed with Batons and I think these days they all have Pepper/CS spray as well - worst they can expect to come up upon (within a statically relevant percentage) is a knife - I would imagine a lot of the UK police force would quit also if you took away the baton!

Seems to me you have an agenda you want to push but can`t quite formulate your arguments correctly.... make me think it`s someone else`s agenda but then that`s me assuming something
There are more and more armed coppers in the UK. Guns proliferate all criminal societies and knives should not in my opinion be dealt with armed with a whistle and a baton....sorry, the only acceptable weapon is a firearm......an armed officer could be supposed by one armed with a CEW or Baton round. Just my two cents.
I agree. People don't realize how quickly someone can cover ground. I would not want to deal with a criminal armed with a knife while I'm armed with only my ASP baton.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #1168
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
There are more and more armed coppers in the UK. Guns proliferate all criminal societies and knives should not in my opinion be dealt with armed with a whistle and a baton....sorry, the only acceptable weapon is a firearm......an armed officer could be supposed by one armed with a CEW or Baton round. Just my two cents.
Dude I don`t disagree - but the UK are holding back (maybe wrongly) due to the fear of mutual escalation. Our thought process (in a non gun country) is that - if all cops have guns - then all the criminals will decide they need a gun too.

The people that are paid to work this shit out have decided that it would be far more dangerous to introduce guns "as the norm" to our police then it would provide a benefit to society.

Sedan_Clan mentioned seeing guns on the daily - if the average copper, in the UK, sees a gun in their entire career i`'d be very very very very very very surprised!*

(*Term`s and conditions - unwilling to be surprised by anything less than official stats).

Murf993 I take it you are commenting from outside of UK or even Europe for that matter?
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50
      10-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #1169
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Have you ever seen a citizens arrest take place?
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      10-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #1170
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I've handcuffed someone before, does that count?
Appreciate 5
vreihen1614882.00
Chapperss488.50
F30lolz6798.50
Murf99314114.00
      10-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #1171
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's not a big leap of logic at all. We pull illegal guns off of criminals EVERY SINGLE DAY. Sometimes it's near misses on being shot. Why would I continue to do this job when they can shoot, but I can't shoot back?!?! That would be beyond stupid.
Thanks again. I don't have first hand knowledge of what exactly you do, so can you give an example of such a near miss and explain why having a gun helped? From your answer I'm guessing it had an indirect effect of enabling you to take some actions that you' wouldn't take otherwise, but don't really know what exactly those actions are.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #1172
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
I think there's an agenda here as well. Coupling that with an August 2020 join date increases my skepticism.
Could August 2020 be the date when I ordered a new car and joined a car forum?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #1173
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
Thanks again. I don't have first hand knowledge of what exactly you do, so can you give an example of such a near miss and explain why having a gun helped? From your answer I'm guessing it had an indirect effect of enabling you to take some actions that you' wouldn't take otherwise, but don't really know what exactly those actions are.
Noneya So you`ve never seen a film, tv series, news article, youtube vid, police camera action type show - when it comes to stooping a determent criminal thats armed. ?

Apparently you`ve not seen my answers after your post either....

Plus, it seems - you cant put yourself in the position of a law enforcement officer coming up against someone committing a crime either! Again, it shows that you are regurgitating an agenda/opinion that is not truly your own. I hope you do better convincing 'her' of you dedication than you have me.

I will no longer be feeding this uneducated troll

Peace

Last edited by Chapperss; 10-24-2020 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: grammar and spelling
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      10-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #1174
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's not a big leap of logic at all. We pull illegal guns off of criminals EVERY SINGLE DAY. Sometimes it's near misses on being shot. Why would I continue to do this job when they can shoot, but I can't shoot back?!?! That would be beyond stupid.
Easy....

Guy commits crime...
I/we arrive to stop the criminal....
Criminal runs...
We chase....
We catch criminal....
Criminal reaches for his waistband...
Criminal pulls out gun...
We shoot...

We recover the gun, drugs and money.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 5
vreihen1614882.00
Murf99314114.00
scostu1619.50
      10-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #1175
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
That happens all of the time too. There are a lot of crimes we cannot arrest for unless we actually witness the crime committed, thus, a citizen has to make the arrest.......meaning, they are the one pressing charges and going to court rather than me.
Appreciate 4
F30lolz6798.50
vreihen1614882.00
Murf99314114.00
      10-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #1176
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Easy....

Guy commits crime...
Criminal runs...
We chase....
We catch criminal....
We shoot...

Case for the crown your honour.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #1177
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
That happens all of the time too. There are a lot of crimes we cannot arrest for unless we actually witness the crime committed, thus, a citizen has to make the arrest.......meaning, they are the one pressing charges and going to court rather than me.
We saw tons of citizens arrests, in fact anytime store loss prevention makes a pinch or any security guard for that matter it's a citizens arrests. Happens dozens of times a day in major cities. Regular citizens making arrests/detentions isn't that uncommon either.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
scostu1619.50
      10-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #1178
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Dude I don`t disagree - but the UK are holding back (maybe wrongly) due to the fear of mutual escalation. Our thought process (in a non gun country) is that - if all cops have guns - then all the criminals will decide they need a gun too.

The people that are paid to work this shit out have decided that it would be far more dangerous to introduce guns "as the norm" to our police then it would provide a benefit to society.

Sedan_Clan mentioned seeing guns on the daily - if the average copper, in the UK, sees a gun in their entire career i`'d be very very very very very very surprised!*

(*Term`s and conditions - unwilling to be surprised by anything less than official stats).

Murf993 I take it you are commenting from outside of UK or even Europe for that matter?
My comments are based on 31 years of policing in Toronto.
Appreciate 2
Chapperss488.50
      10-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #1179
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Dash cam question

If I catch someone committing driving violation on dash cam and get their plate on tape (let’s say a person ran the red light) .can this be presented to PD?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #1180
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Dash cam question

If I catch someone committing driving violation on dash cam and get their plate on tape (let's say a person ran the red light) .can this be presented to PD?
Running a red light is an infraction. It's not even worth attempting to present it unfortunately. Now, if they run a red light, hit a car and then flee the scene, that's a different story.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      10-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #1181
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Easy....

Guy commits crime...
Criminal runs...
We chase....
We catch criminal....
We shoot...

Was that Crimson trace laser functioning?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #1182
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Easy....

Guy commits crime...
Criminal runs...
We chase....
We catch criminal....
We shoot...

Was that Crimson trace laser functioning?
It was. Dude was committed to pulling the trigger too.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2020, 08:11 PM   #1183
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
It was. Dude was committed to pulling the trigger too.
I'm glad the right guys won. If you play stupid games you win stupid prizes. Sounds harsh but that's the way I feel.
Appreciate 4
      10-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #1184
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Running a red light is an infraction. It's not even worth attempting to present it unfortunately. Now, if they run a red light, hit a car and then flee the scene, that's a different story.
Gotcha! Thank you for answering that!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      10-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #1185
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
I've handcuffed someone before, does that count?
Consenting adult action is nothing for LEO to be concerned about
F30lolz6798.50
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      10-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #1186
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
The phrase, “Oh officer that’s not mine” has been used a billion times. However, has that line saved a suspect at least once for you?

When conducting a traffic stop, has anyone mentioned to you right off the bat, “Please don’t shoot me”?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #1187
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
The phrase, "Oh officer that's not mine" has been used a billion times. However, has that line saved a suspect at least once for you?

When conducting a traffic stop, has anyone mentioned to you right off the bat, "Please don't shoot me"?
Yes to both.

Here are a couple examples:

I drove by a known drug house in my patrol area and observed a woman sitting in the passenger seat of a vehicle parked in front of the residence. I detained her pending a drug investigation (...case law allows for that). I run her and she comes back with a drug warrant. I pull her out of the vehicle and search the car. I found a Ruger firearm hidden in the vehicle along with methamphetamine. She stated it wasn't hers. I believed her, but her gangster boyfriend wouldn't come out of the house and I had no warrant nor exigency to enter the residence and get him. She ended up taking the wrap for the gun and the methamphetamine. I told her to keep better company. The coward was too scared to man up.

As for your second inquiry....

...People always have something to say when I have my gun out. I calmly explained to them my gun came out because they kept reaching around the vehicle. Furtive movements are the quickest way to be on the receiving end of a LEO's firearm.
Appreciate 3
F30lolz6798.50
vreihen1614882.00
Dang3r12503.00
      10-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #1188
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Possibly and probably already been asked and answered. How do you feel about someone speeding on the highway lets say in excess of 100+mph but it’s completely empty and theyre the only car out there. Would you be more lenient such as lowering the speed on the ticket or maybe even letting them off with a warning?

Pure curiosity as i’ve had friends in similar situations doing 120+ and the cop let them off with a warning
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0