BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Moving to Europe... should I keep X7?

03-05-2020, 10:59 PM   #1
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Moving to Europe... should I keep X7?

This has been my first BMW. It's a 2019 X7 40i with about almost 8000 miles.
I'm moving to Switzerland in June of this year for at least 2 years, but potentially much longer. I bought the car outright.
The company that my wife works for will ship it for free to my destination. The biggest issue is the fact that I am pretty sure that my BMW NA warranty coverage will cease. I love the car and have never had a single issue except for the leather becoming dislodged on the bottom front part of the front passenger seat.
I fixed that myself pretty easily. but of course,
with a car with so much technology I am definitely questioning whether I should
keep it, but if I sell it I am certainly going to loose big.
I'd love to hear opinions
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I've spent a LOT of my life (well over half, actually) living and working overseas in various locations. I agree with Resjudicata. If it's free, just ship it over. Warranty and even covered maintenance is a lesser issue. I've driven US-spec vehicles all around the world, including my old Jeep Grand Cherokee through Paris. (that was interesting) Now, if you're rolling in dough, sure, sell it, and buy a Euro model something when you get there. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat the smaller issues (most of which can be addressed), and just take your X7.

I will say, driving Bimmers on their native homeland German autobahns is a BLAST. Truly what they were designed for. (yes, I realize our babies are made in SC)
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx_77 View Post
Sell it. Many more options available to you there than here secondly if you're concerned about "losing big" just think about the costs associated of getting it there, federalizing it and keeping it on the road. Also inquire about the taxes you will have to pay on top of your registration. If they're anything like the rest of Norther Europe it is going to be costly to insure and you'll probably be hit with surcharges for not having a more efficient vehicle. You're going to be losing either way, especially when you go to sell it there. You will have a very difficult time finding a party wanted a NAR spec X7. Cut your losses now before they become greater. Consign it to local BMW dealer, ask them to buy you out or list privately and walk-away but your situation will definitely raise many eyebrows as it will read as a typical automotive scam where the seller is leaving the country and needs to sell immediately. Whatever you decide, good luck with the transition and sale.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 06:15 AM   #4
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
I'm moving to Switzerland in June of this year for at least 2 years, but potentially much longer. I bought the car outright.
The company that my wife works for will ship it for free to my destination. The biggest issue is the fact that I am pretty sure that my BMW NA warranty coverage will cease. I love the car and have never had a single issue except for the leather becoming dislodged on the bottom front part of the front passenger seat.
Thanks!
if it's free, ship it over. and then if you're worried about the warranty, find a dealership to trade it in for a new one there.

I traded my 2019 for a 2020 that I bought outright, and I only paid what would be the equivalent of monthly lease payments. (I added up the 14 months of hypothetical lease pay on 2019, and subtracting from the 2020)] so to me that was a good deal.
it was as if, I had leased the 2019 for a year instead of 3, traded it in early and bought the 2020 without any added fees or complications.
Yeah, I'd definitely prefer to hang on to it.
I'm sure the Swiss MSRP is much much higher too.
Thanks !
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 06:21 AM   #5
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
Sell it. Many more options available to you there than here secondly if you're concerned about "losing big" just think about the costs associated of getting it there, federalizing it and keeping it on the road. Also inquire about the taxes you will have to pay on top of your registration. If they're anything like the rest of Norther Europe it is going to be costly to insure and you'll probably be hit with surcharges for not having a more efficient vehicle. You're going to be losing either way, especially when you go to sell it there. You will have a very difficult time finding a party wanted a NAR spec X7. Cut your losses now before they become greater. Consign it to local BMW dealer, ask them to buy you out or list privately and walk-away but your situation will definitely raise many eyebrows as it will read as a typical automotive scam where the seller is leaving the country and needs to sell immediately. Whatever you decide, good luck with the transition and sale.
Ok, I guess I'll have to see if I can find out what kind of fees might be involved. I've owned it long enough not to have to pay duty.
I was aware that I would likely have to have a few things changed to bring it up to spec, and insurance I'll have to pay regardless if the vehicle.
You've given me something to think about.
Thanks!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      03-06-2020, 06:37 AM   #6
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Keep in mind you'll also be paying about $6.85/g to fill it up.
~$150 each time you need to fill up over there.
They really want you in a compact and or EV.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #7
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Thanks!
if it's free, ship it over. and then if you're worried about the warranty, find a dealership to trade it in for a new one there.

I traded my 2019 for a 2020 that I bought outright, and I only paid what would be the equivalent of monthly lease payments. (I added up the 14 months of hypothetical lease pay on 2019, and subtracting from the 2020)] so to me that was a good deal.
it was as if, I had leased the 2019 for a year instead of 3, traded it in early and bought the 2020 without any added fees or complications.
Yeah, I know BMW NA does not want me to sell it over there for good reason. They did have me sign a document when I bought it agreeing to not take it overseas for 2 years.
I'm sure that was due to how expensive these types of Vehicles can be in some countries, and of course everything in Switzerland is outrageously expensive. I had asked the Salesperson about this document and told him that sometime in the futures I may indeed move to another country. He told me not to worry about it and that it was mainly to prevent the buying of vehicles in the US and making a business out of shipping them overseas. I know, I should of just refused to sign it, but I thought I'd be in the US 2 more years at least.
Thanks for giving me your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Keep in mind you'll also be paying about $6.85/g to fill it up.
~$150 each time you need to fill up over there.
They really want you in a compact and or EV.
Yeah
Definitely a factor!

I have to figure out how much a replacement vehicle would cost me given the inflated sale prices over there and see if paying more gas makes sense.
I do plan on doing a lot of driving, with so much to see throughout Europe!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #9
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I've spent a LOT of my life (well over half, actually) living and working overseas in various locations. I agree with Resjudicata. If it's free, just ship it over. Warranty and even covered maintenance is a lesser issue. I've driven US-spec vehicles all around the world, including my old Jeep Grand Cherokee through Paris. (that was interesting) Now, if you're rolling in dough, sure, sell it, and buy a Euro model something when you get there. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat the smaller issues (most of which can be addressed), and just take your X7.

I will say, driving Bimmers on their native homeland German autobahns is a BLAST. Truly what they were designed for. (yes, I realize our babies are made in SC)
Yeah I have fantasized about the autobahn and especially driving through the Alps 😉
Question:
I've heard that you can in fact leave American plates on a vehicle for a determined amount of time and avoid a lot of the paper work and fees etc.
Not sure if it's a terrible idea. Switzerland is about as safe as it gets, but in some neighboring countries like France and Italy where there is a lot of theft related to tourism in the big in the big cities, you would be basically advertising yourself as a tourist.
Any experience with this?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #10
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I know BMW NA does not want me to sell it over there for good reason. They did have me sign a document when I bought it agreeing to not take it overseas for 2 years.
I'm sure that was due to how expensive these types of Vehicles can be in some countries, and of course everything in Switzerland is outrageously expensive. I had asked the Salesperson about this document and told him that sometime in the futures I may indeed move to another country. He told me not to worry about it and that it was mainly to prevent the buying of vehicles in the US and making a business out of shipping them overseas. I know, I should of just refused to sign it, but I thought I'd be in the US 2 more years at least.
I have never heard of such a document, unless it was deep in the fine print in an area of the paperwork that I have never paid attention to previously. Is this unique to certain, high end vehicles? Or did your dealer only make you sign this document because you mentioned that you may be moving overseas? FWIW, I had once heard (from a BMW Client Advisor no doubt), that BMWs and other luxury brands are "heavily subsidized" by auto manufacturers to sell cars significantly cheaper in the US when compared to the rest of the world. I never verified this statement or researched it further, but it may be related to why BMW NA allegedly does not want you to sell your X7 overseas.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

If a vehicle debuts first in NAR or is marked up dramatically in other areas these documents come with the purchase. Several vehicles in the last five years or so were exported and the dealers incur the risk from corporate. There is nothing that says you have to sign it and if they force you to then tell them they can keep the car. Watch how quickly that document disappears.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      03-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #12
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
I have never heard of such a document, unless it was deep in the fine print in an area of the paperwork that I have never paid attention to previously. Is this unique to certain, high end vehicles? Or did your dealer only make you sign this document because you mentioned that you may be moving overseas? FWIW, I had once heard (from a BMW Client Advisor no doubt), that BMWs and other luxury brands are "heavily subsidized" by auto manufacturers to sell cars significantly cheaper in the US when compared to the rest of the world. I never verified this statement or researched it further, but it may be related to why BMW NA allegedly does not want you to sell your X7 overseas.
Yep.
It was the first time I had seen such a document and they did not know previously that I may be moving to Europe.
The document actually had me commit to not taking it out of North America for 2 years I believe, even if I was not selling it.
And yeah it wasn't very smart of me to sign it, but it was one of the last documents to sign and I just wanted to take my car home 😅 after both filling out all the paperwork having waited so long for this car to arrive.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      03-06-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

It’s quite standard. A few years ago I was looking to get an MB GLS (??) 550 and the dealer told me a lot of people were shipping them to China for resale that you had to sign a similar document. I have friends that shipped cars to Russia pre the 2007 crisis to make money. It is nuts that even with a huge tax duty in Russia that often equates to 100% of the cost in the US they were still making money.

To answer the OP question, I Think it depends on how long you plan to stay there. As others have said, the cost of owning and driving an X7 in Western Europe is very high as you pay more for gas and for the engine size. But nothing will ever substitute driving this car on a perfect German or Swiss road especially when other road occupants are also German or Swiss.If you are only going for a couple of years and plan to be back and can get the car shipped back for free as well, might as well take the additional cost of having this car there and enjoying it to the fullest. Just make sure you understand all the costs involved.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #14
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Ship it there... use it... and at the end, put it up for sale there and see what happens. If you can make more for selling it there... leave it there and come home and buy another.
Appreciate 2
F30Andy1748.50
      03-07-2020, 01:04 AM   #15
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

There is only one reasonable answer - ship it and use it. When selling this car in the US you will loose a lot of money. When you will buy car in Europe, you will pay much more than in the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 08:19 AM   #16
Hodog16
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50, 2023 G63

Yeah all the luxury brands have some sort of export waiver they make you sign when you buy. I had to sign for Land Rover back in 2015. If they find out a car you bought was exported, they black-list you. The dealer told me a story about a guy who always traded in one year old RR for new ones, and one of the ones he traded in was exported, so he was black-listed by corporate even though he wasn't the one who did it.

There's an interesting C&D article from a former straw buyer that's a great read into the industry.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...s-and-porsche/
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #17
no_whereman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

There are a number of variables and only you can best determine their relative weighting/importance to arrive at a decision. If finance is a motivating factor, the loss you incur in selling now may be less than the increased operating and insurance cost you will have to pay in Europe. Streets there are also narrower and as someone who has driven extensively on the autobahn, I think they are overrated. Yes, you can drive very fast in some sections, but not all. The main pleasurable experience in driving on the autobahn for me isn't the excessive speed but rather the skilled and disciplined driving of Europeans drivers when they get on the autobahn. There are many interstate highways in the US that are much better built than any autobahn, for speed and also for the safety margin (may be to account for the bad drivers we have here &#128578.

But if driving a unique car is a bigger motivating factor, and an X7 in Europe will certainly be rare, then I would ship it and enjoy!

Whatever you do, count your blessings that you have this "first world" problem 😊 Best of luck with the move and a great stay in Switzerland.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #18
k23435
Private
Rep

Some information can be found in:
https://en.comparis.ch/umzug-schweiz...ssung-fahrzeug

Things I would confirm before importing a car to a foreign country:

Are there import taxes?
Do I need to register the car locally?
If I do, what changes (if any) are required to the car?
Does the car comply with the local co2 emission requirements?
If driving with foreign plates, where and how to insure the car?
Are the locally sold cars identical, and thus are there any problems with maintenance and repairs?
For Switzerland, I would also check if the car has ”winter pack” (not sure if BMW does this: thicker cabling for the battery etc)

In the past, it has not been trivial to bring a US spec car to Europe, but this may differ from country to country and car to car

Last edited by k23435; 03-07-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #19
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Yeah I have fantasized about the autobahn and especially driving through the Alps 😉
Question:
I've heard that you can in fact leave American plates on a vehicle for a determined amount of time and avoid a lot of the paper work and fees etc.
Not sure if it's a terrible idea. Switzerland is about as safe as it gets, but in some neighboring countries like France and Italy where there is a lot of theft related to tourism in the big in the big cities, you would be basically advertising yourself as a tourist.
Thanks!
I wish I could give you definitive information for your situation, but I think I can only share my own experience and tell you what I *think* would be the case for you.

As I said, I've lived well over half my life overseas, including driving all over the world, some of it US spec vehicles. My time that I lived in Europe, it was with the US military. Shipping and operating our cars over there was under legal Status of Forces Agreements with the other countries, which would not apply to civilian citizens. But there was no issue driving the cars there, getting gas, or getting service at various auto shops and dealers.

Yes, you'll pay more for gas, which is true for any car. Yes, you may experience issues with the US warranty, but you can still get service.

If your wife's company is willing to ship the car over, I would posit that they would also have access or reference to resources to answer your questions about registration and operation. I don't know if Switzerland specifically will hassle vehicles if you leave the USA plates on them, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can do that for a while--right up to the point where you get flashed by a speed camera, or pulled over by a cop. Then you might be in trouble.

Switzerland should be fine for theft issues. But yes--you do correctly point out that if you do something like leave your US plates on the vehicle, you are shouting to the community that you're an American. It's generally best not to call that kind of attention to yourself overseas.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #20
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_whereman View Post
There are a number of variables and only you can best determine their relative weighting/importance to arrive at a decision. If finance is a motivating factor, the loss you incur in selling now may be less than the increased operating and insurance cost you will have to pay in Europe. Streets there are also narrower and as someone who has driven extensively on the autobahn, I think they are overrated. Yes, you can drive very fast in some sections, but not all. The main pleasurable experience in driving on the autobahn for me isn't the excessive speed but rather the skilled and disciplined driving of Europeans drivers when they get on the autobahn. There are many interstate highways in the US that are much better built than any autobahn, for speed and also for the safety margin (may be to account for the bad drivers we have here &#128578.

But if driving a unique car is a bigger motivating factor, and an X7 in Europe will certainly be rare, then I would ship it and enjoy!

Whatever you do, count your blessings that you have this "first world" problem 😊 Best of luck with the move and a great stay in Switzerland.
Yes, definitely a first world problem, especially in these times.....
Thanks
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #21
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Question:
Thanks!
I wish I could give you definitive information for your situation, but I think I can only share my own experience and tell you what I *think* would be the case for you.

As I said, I've lived well over half my life overseas, including driving all over the world, some of it US spec vehicles. My time that I lived in Europe, it was with the US military. Shipping and operating our cars over there was under legal Status of Forces Agreements with the other countries, which would not apply to civilian citizens. But there was no issue driving the cars there, getting gas, or getting service at various auto shops and dealers.

Yes, you'll pay more for gas, which is true for any car. Yes, you may experience issues with the US warranty, but you can still get service.

If your wife's company is willing to ship the car over, I would posit that they would also have access or reference to resources to answer your questions about registration and operation. I don't know if Switzerland specifically will hassle vehicles if you leave the USA plates on them, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can do that for a while--right up to the point where you get flashed by a speed camera, or pulled over by a cop. Then you might be in trouble.

Switzerland should be fine for theft issues. But yes--you do correctly point out that if you do something like leave your US plates on the vehicle, you are shouting to the community that you're an American. It's generally best not to call that kind of attention to yourself overseas.
Makes sense.
Yes, I'm waiting for my wife to have her next call with the relo consultant. Hopefully, I can get some of my questions answered at that point.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

After doing some reading, it's against your contract to export for profit, and it could get you blacklisted from being able to ever buy another BMW.

flipside, you are doing it for personal reasons and not selling for profits; you're probably fine. however you might get stopped at Customs.
Appreciate 0