BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Ugh Nail in RFT

11-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
cavalierx7
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X7

Ugh Nail in RFT

Haven't had it for even a month yet and got the dreaded nail lol. It's actually a screw that is just inside the tread, so i took my drill and moved it in further which sealed it up. I also ordered a OEM replacement 21" from tirerack which arrived in one day.. thinking about ordering a second just for stand by spare.

Either way, sometimes runflats suck, i hoped to get about 20k out of these then switch and use the amazing tirerack warranty to cover the tires.. but such is life. I only have around 2k in mileage so no need to replace all four.

Tire was $260 delivered fyi.

FUN FUN
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierx7 View Post
Haven't had it for even a month yet and got the dreaded nail lol. It's actually a screw that is just inside the tread, so i took my drill and moved it in further which sealed it up. I also ordered a OEM replacement 21" from tirerack which arrived in one day.. thinking about ordering a second just for stand by spare.

Either way, sometimes runflats suck, i hoped to get about 20k out of these then switch and use the amazing tirerack warranty to cover the tires.. but such is life. I only have around 2k in mileage so no need to replace all four.

FUN FUN
Which OEM brand of tires do you have? If Pirelli's, it's covered under OEM run flat warranty. My MY20 G05 is just over 5500 miles and I've had two separate occasions (LR - due to road hazard and LF - slow leak for 2-3 months cause by a nail) where Scorpion A/S replaced under warranty by my dealership for free:

PIRELLI® ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT
& REPLACEMENT LIMITED WARRANTY PASSENGER & LIGHT TRUCK TIRES

Road Hazard Policy for Run Flat Tires Only
Pirelli Run Flat tires are manufactured with technology that allows limited low-inflation operation in the event of sudden loss of pressure. Pirelli does not recommend the repair of run flat tires and as a result, Pirelli provides road hazard coverage on all Pirelli produced tires that are manufactured with run flat technology. To qualify for Run Flat Road Hazard coverage, a completed claim form along with the tire exhibiting the road hazard must be returned to Pirelli through an authorized Pirelli dealer.

If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, which is one year from the date of original retail purchase of the vehicle or purchase of replacement tires (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32" of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first, the tire will be replaced with the same or comparable tire at no charge for the tire to the owner.

Appreciate 1
      11-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
cavalierx7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Which OEM brand of tires do you have? If Pirelli's, it's covered under OEM run flat warranty. My MY20 G05 is just over 5500 miles and I've had two separate occasions where Scorpion A/S replaced under warranty by my dealership for free:

PIRELLI® ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT
& REPLACEMENT LIMITED WARRANTY PASSENGER & LIGHT TRUCK TIRES

Road Hazard Policy for Run Flat Tires Only
Pirelli Run Flat tires are manufactured with technology that allows limited low-inflation operation in the event of sudden loss of pressure. Pirelli does not recommend the repair of run flat tires and as a result, Pirelli provides road hazard coverage on all Pirelli produced tires that are manufactured with run flat technology. To qualify for Run Flat Road Hazard coverage, a completed claim form along with the tire exhibiting the road hazard must be returned to Pirelli through an authorized Pirelli dealer.

If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, which is one year from the date of original retail purchase of the vehicle or purchase of replacement tires (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32" of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first, the tire will be replaced with the same or comparable tire at no charge for the tire to the owner.
It's the bridgestone 21" alenza A/S.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
It's the bridgestone 21" alenza A/S.
Ah, boo Bridgestone for not having OEM RFT RH coverage.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

FUN FUN
That sucks. Was the screw too close to close to the side wall to repair?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 11:47 PM   #6
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

FYI: Runflats can definitely be patched or plugged just like a regular tire. I've had literally more than a dozen plugs over the years and never an issue.
      11-15-2020, 06:23 AM   #7
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
FYI: Runflats can definitely be patched or plugged just like a regular tire. I've had literally more than a dozen plugs over the years and never an issue.
Absolutely they can.

The refusal by some businesses (including BMW service centers) to repair run flats is based on liability, and probably their ability to sell a few tires. If a run flat tire is punctured, regardless of what a customer tells them, those businesses claim they can’t be 100% certain that as a result of the puncture, the customer hasn’t driven around on a fully deflated tire, compromising the sidewall, and the tire can’t be assumed to be safe. You can tell them until you’re blue in the face that you noticed the puncture 2 hours ago and the tire pressure only dropped 5 psi - doesn’t matter. They can’t be certain.

I’ve had maybe 3 run flat tires repaired in the last 10 or so years, all at very reputable tire shops. Not one was hesitant to repair a run flat tire. If you didn’t drive around on a substantially deflated tire, there is absolutely no difference in repairing a run flat vs a regular tire.

As a disclaimer - if you got a puncture, your run flat tire loses a significant amount of pressure and you drive around on it for 30 miles before going to a tire store, replace the tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
cavalierx7
Private
Rep

All great information thank you. I'll try the repair route first. The screw is just off mid center of the tire, no where near the sidewall. I got low tire indicator as i was pulling my garage. Checked pressure it was 22, drilled screw in further, inflated and it's held at 35 since.

I'll keep the new tire that arrived yesterday as a hot spare if they can hopefully patch this one.

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #9
nkole
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
All great information thank you. I'll try the repair route first. The screw is just off mid center of the tire, no where near the sidewall. I got low tire indicator as i was pulling my garage. Checked pressure it was 22, drilled screw in further, inflated and it's held at 35 since.

I'll keep the new tire that arrived yesterday as a hot spare if they can hopefully patch this one.

Thanks everyone!
it's not difficult to simply plug the hole yourself. Amazon and auto parts stores sell the two simple tools and plugs necessary. Simply remove the mail, clean the hole with one tool and insert the plug with the other. Then inflate and use a razor blade to cut off any part of the plug protruding from the tire. i often donut without even removing the tire. Much easier than going to a tire store and waiting for them to do it.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 06:02 AM   #10
cavalierx7
Private
Rep

So update, thanks to Nkole for the stellar recommendation. Decided to plug the tire myself and it worked fantastically. Only thing i didn't consider going in was a lug wrench lol. I don't have a spare, so socket set came in handy, although a bit harder to do. Impact wrench is now on the shopping list.

Was fairly straight forward, i assumed putting the vehicle in diagnostic mode was the right call before jacking up the x7. Took me about 25 mins total.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 07:19 AM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
So update, thanks to Nkole for the stellar recommendation. Decided to plug the tire myself and it worked fantastically. Only thing i didn't consider going in was a lug wrench lol. I don't have a spare, so socket set came in handy, although a bit harder to do. Impact wrench is now on the shopping list.

Was fairly straight forward, i assumed putting the vehicle in diagnostic mode was the right call before jacking up the x7. Took me about 25 mins total.
You need to hold the air suspension toggle back for over 7 seconds to turn off the system. The small line light by the air suspension toggle will go out. Reverse procedure when you have the vehicle off the jack. It takes a few miles of driving for the air suspension to recalibrate and work properly.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 07:50 AM   #12
cavalierx7
Private
Rep

Good to know, seems it worked itself out, but going forward at least I (and everyone else who searches) will have the correct procedure.

Appreciate you taking a moment to relay that important information.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Good to know, seems it worked itself out, but going forward at least I (and everyone else who searches) will have the correct procedure.

Appreciate you taking a moment to relay that important information.
No problem. I just did my winter wheels last week and went through this.
Appreciate 0