BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Navigation destination look ups

11-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Navigation destination look ups

Did BMW change backend destination providers and voice recognition software? In my F80, I was able to literally say "Navigate to 123 normal dr, city, state" and it'll enter it properly every single time. In the X7, 9 out of 10 times it won't get it right. "Navigate to <business name>" is even worse.

Another example is I used to say "Navigate to nearest Costco" and it'll list me all the Costcos around sorted by distance. Now it give me - Amex Costco hotline and Costco online as answers.

What the heck happened?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Did BMW change backend destination providers and voice recognition software? In my F80, I was able to literally say "Navigate to 123 normal dr, city, state" and it'll enter it properly every single time. In the X7, 9 out of 10 times it won't get it right. "Navigate to <business name>" is even worse.

Another example is I used to say "Navigate to nearest Costco" and it'll list me all the Costcos around sorted by distance. Now it give me - Amex Costco hotline and Costco online as answers.

What the heck happened?
That is odd. I have not experienced those issues. It works for me as expected. If I tell it to navigate/take me to 1234 This Lane, this city, it gets it right 99% of the time.

Have your tried updating your apps to see if that fixes it? You might also try doing an iDrive reboot by holding in the volume button for about 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
That is odd. I have not experienced those issues. It works for me as expected. If I tell it to navigate/take me to 1234 This Lane, this city, it gets it right 99% of the time.

Have your tried updating your apps to see if that fixes it? You might also try doing an iDrive reboot by holding in the volume button for about 30 seconds.
I just updated to the latest iDrive software overnight and that's when I think the issue started. Haven't been using it much before that so I can't tell for sure if it has always been like that. I will try an iDrive reboot, given it's freshly updated and like many systems, a nice kick in the nuts after updates typically solves many issues
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Nope didn't help. A new issue cropped up instead. Carplay and Android Auto disappeared...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #5
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

This new version of iDrive is so weird. Did another 30 second reboot, no dice. Removed both phones in Mobile Devices, go into phones and removed the car from Car Play and Android Auto. Reinstalled BMW Connected app on my phone (primary) and signed in. Activated remote access, then paired both phones to the car and now both Car Play and Android Auto are back. Then just to be sure, I tried voice command to navigate and this time it works as expected! Finding the necessary point of interests.

Bugs galore!
Appreciate 0