E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > iPod Adapter needed with Navi?

03-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Sunstealer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 S4 / 09 G37

iPod Adapter needed with Navi?

I have been looking at options for my next 335i Coupe that I will be ordering later this year. I was initially not going to get Navi, but the new system looks like a big improvement. I was going to get the iPod/USB adapter, but I am wondering if it is actually needed if you get Navi? Does it come with a USB adapter too that would work with the iPod? I know I can also copy music to the hard drive in the Navi unit too which would hold almost everything for me anyway. If I don't need the iPod adapter, I can apply that to the extra cost of the Navi.

Thanks,
Jason
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The USB adapter in the glovebox is only for you to transfer music to the hard drive. On the other hand, the USB/iPod adapter under the armrest is a nice option since it also charges your iPod and you can control your msuci through your car controls. Even though you may have the hard drive because sometimes loading music to the hard drive can take a while, and the USB/iPod option allows you to be flexible.

I got my car two weeks ago and while I do like the USB/iPod adapter, I sometimes think it was uncessary because I feel as if I'm not making good use of the hard drive. I could have bought a cable that will allow me to control the iPod through the car controls and will also charge the iPod, which is a lot cheaper than the $400 USB/iPod adapter option.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

With the USB option, you can rip endless amounts of music to a 64 GB flashdrive, and then you'll have your entire music collection in the car.

Go for it. 6FL and Idrive are a great combo.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0