BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Battery questions

03-25-2024, 10:21 AM   #1
jspiegel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition

Battery questions

I am looking to get the new M5 when it comes out later this year. I know that it will share the same hybrid V8 technology as the XM, so can anyone in this forum help me with the below questions? Knowing the answers to the below questions will help me make a decision on whether to get the car next or not.

1. Once the battery dies, will the car no longer perform to the max compared to when the battery is fully charged?

2. If you don't drive in electric mode only, will the hybrid system keep the battery fully charged?

3. If the battery is dead, will putting the car into hybrid mode charge the battery while driving?

4. I read/watched some bad reviews of the electrified transmission on the XM. Any insight on that from actual owners would be great.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #2
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
I am looking to get the new M5 when it comes out later this year. I know that it will share the same hybrid V8 technology as the XM, so can anyone in this forum help me with the below questions? Knowing the answers to the below questions will help me make a decision on whether to get the car next or not.

1. Once the battery dies, will the car no longer perform to the max compared to when the battery is fully charged?

2. If you don't drive in electric mode only, will the hybrid system keep the battery fully charged?

3. If the battery is dead, will putting the car into hybrid mode charge the battery while driving?

4. I read/watched some bad reviews of the electrified transmission on the XM. Any insight on that from actual owners would be great.
1. There is always some charge left for performance. Never goes to zero and lose electric assist.

2. Yes, if you pick e control mode, you won’t lose battery charge.

3. Yes, I gain 3-6 miles daily driving locally through brake regen

4. My XM label transmission is amazing. No complaints. I think bad reviews came from people driving in comfort transmission settings where one notices transition from electric to ICE more. If driving in sport settings, transmission works much better
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13043.50
      03-25-2024, 02:17 PM   #3
jspiegel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
1. There is always some charge left for performance. Never goes to zero and lose electric assist.

2. Yes, if you pick e control mode, you won’t lose battery charge.

3. Yes, I gain 3-6 miles daily driving locally through brake regen

4. My XM label transmission is amazing. No complaints. I think bad reviews came from people driving in comfort transmission settings where one notices transition from electric to ICE more. If driving in sport settings, transmission works much better
Thanks for your reply.

So you never notice a reduction in power due to your battery being out of juice?

How many miles is your daily drive? I drive 15 miles each way for work. Wondering how much I'll gain in that commute.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:05 PM   #4
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
I test drove an MY23 Base (a lot) and purchased an MY24 Label.

The transmission on the MY24 Label is dramatically smoother than the MY23 base I drove.

Something has certainly changed - but I haven't been able to drive an MY24 Base to see if it's a model year change, or a factor of the tuning on the Label.

However, I'm really happy with the drive and transition between ePower and silly fun V8
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13043.50
      03-25-2024, 09:00 PM   #5
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
Thanks for your reply.

So you never notice a reduction in power due to your battery being out of juice?

How many miles is your daily drive? I drive 15 miles each way for work. Wondering how much I'll gain in that commute.
Correct, no reduction in power I can feel. My daily drive varies. If you drive 15 miles on highway with minimal braking you will not charge battery very much. If 15 miles local with a lot of braking you will recharge battery some. Important thing is don’t think of this as an EV. I seldom drive in all EV ever. It’s more of an ICE with EV assist.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13043.50
      04-10-2024, 01:10 PM   #6
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
Correct, no reduction in power I can feel. My daily drive varies. If you drive 15 miles on highway with minimal braking you will not charge battery very much. If 15 miles local with a lot of braking you will recharge battery some. Important thing is don’t think of this as an EV. I seldom drive in all EV ever. It’s more of an ICE with EV assist.
When you set off from a stop, does it start in pure EV mode and then transition over to ICE? I actually prefer that type of changeover vs the straight engine stop/start in my X7, which can be jarring at slow/creeping speeds.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 01:58 PM   #7
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
When you set off from a stop, does it start in pure EV mode and then transition over to ICE? I actually prefer that type of changeover vs the straight engine stop/start in my X7, which can be jarring at slow/creeping speeds.
It depends on drive mode but, in Hybrid, yes. It's great.
(And, for the record, I absolutely HATED auto start stop in ICE-only engines)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 08:21 PM   #8
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPII View Post
It depends on drive mode but, in Hybrid, yes. It's great.
(And, for the record, I absolutely HATED auto start stop in ICE-only engines)
Expanding on this… it works that way in hybrid mode when drivetrain setting is set to Comfort. If drivetrain is set to Sport/Sports Plus the ICE never turns off.

And I couldn’t agree more about the stop/start with the mild hybrid engines, it’s bad. One of the reasons I got rid of my 2023 760 and got the XM instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 10:52 PM   #9
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
Depends on mode. If hybrid mode and comfort trans, it starts in EV. If more aggressive settings, I can’t really feel transition as ICE is there at start. Both of these are better than stop start in X7.
Appreciate 0