BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Regrets on X7

01-18-2021, 08:01 AM   #23
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Regret getting the tow hitch. It was a relatively cheap option and I said why not just in case I use it. However, I have had many instances where my hands were full and the kick open tailgate would have been of use. I may use the tow hitch once a year but I would use the kick to open feature a few times a week.
Appreciate 1
maelfyn156.50
      01-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #24
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
Regret getting the tow hitch. It was a relatively cheap option and I said why not just in case I use it. However, I have had many instances where my hands were full and the kick open tailgate would have been of use. I may use the tow hitch once a year but I would use the kick to open feature a few times a week.
I was on the fence too and luckily dissed the tow hitch. I can't tell you how many freaking times I've already used the kick to open. This should be more apparent when ordering.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:14 AM   #25
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
I was on the fence too and luckily dissed the tow hitch. I can't tell you how many freaking times I've already used the kick to open. This should be more apparent when ordering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
I too thought about this but honestly dont think I will use the hitch as much as I did with our last vehicle. If needed I may go this route to retain the kick to open tailgate feature (we use it often)

https://stealthhitches.com/products/...hoC2_YQAvD_BwE

2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #26
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

For the money the X7 costs the engineers really need to figure out a way to make both the hitch and kick to open feature work together.

I opted for the hitch. I have the kick to open on my X3 and never used it much. Same for my XC90. But I always regretted not getting a hitch on those two for towing and bike carriers, etc.
Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      01-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #27
9uman9y
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
For the money the X7 costs the engineers really need to figure out a way to make both the hitch and kick to open feature work together.

I opted for the hitch. I have the kick to open on my X3 and never used it much. Same for my XC90. But I always regretted not getting a hitch on those two for towing and bike carriers, etc.
Strange, on my X7 m50i, received in Oct 2020, I have both factory installed tow hitch and kick-open/kick-close function. Both work well.
Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      01-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #28
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9uman9y View Post
Strange, on my X7 m50i, received in Oct 2020, I have both factory installed tow hitch and kick-open/kick-close function. Both work well.
The hitch in US is different. The US hitch is fixed in place while in other places it's a hitch that swings out from under the bumper when you use it, and swings back behind the bumper when not in use.

This is why in the US if you have the hitch, you don't have the kick to open sensor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      01-20-2021, 11:07 PM   #29
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Steering Intervention under Lane Departure Warning - had to turn this off when we were up in the mountains this weekend driving in snow. The system kept tracking on the wrong lines so pulled the X7 a few times and I had to pull it back. Not a good thing when you’re on the highway covered in snow and slush. Had to figure out how to set the safety button to deactivate only the steering intervention.

Active Driving Assistant - was having issues with it reacting too late around curves. I remember setting the Lane Departure Intervention to “reduced” so it wouldn’t be so active. I set it back to normal and the delay to react on curves was gone. Really not sure the two are related as I would think the Active Drive Assist works to keep the X7 in the center of the lane under all conditions and not rely on the custom settings by the user.

Washing - holy hell the X7 is huge. Washed it for the first time this week. Then washed it again after the drive in the mountains. Found a few paint issues, but all can be corrected. Looks really good when clean but gets dirty quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 01:58 AM   #30
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Washing - holy hell the X7 is huge. Washed it for the first time this week. Then washed it again after the drive in the mountains. Found a few paint issues, but all can be corrected. Looks really good when clean but gets dirty quick.
Yep! Get used to it getting dirty as soon as you wash it and then drive it around any water or dirt. Those big freaking tires and no mud flaps causes the tires to throw dirt everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #31
9uman9y
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9uman9y View Post
The hitch in US is different. The US hitch is fixed in place while in other places it's a hitch that swings out from under the bumper when you use it, and swings back behind the bumper when not in use.

This is why in the US if you have the hitch, you don't have the kick to open sensor.
Sorry, you are right European model is supplied with a different type of hitch
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #32
9uman9y
Private
Rep

Regret: Automatic engine switching off shuts the engine with very little delay, if any, after you stop the car. Sometimes even a moment before a full-stop. Very inconvenient, when engine switches off just before you are able to switch to reverse after coming to a full stop or while you are trying to get closer very slowly to a parking gate to take/insert your parking card (or to a drive-through, etc.). Before you finished moving the car to where you need it to be.

Could not figure out how to delay it. You, of course, can turn off the function of auto engine shutting down, but only for the time of a drive. Not all ways off by default unless you code it, if I am not mistaken.

My previous 2015 BMW was not in a hurry to shut the engine down, was much more comfortable in this aspect.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #33
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

No regrets with any spec, even getting the tow hitch which I'm sure will come in handy one day.

2021 X7 M50i in Tanzanite Blue on Tartufo bench. Loaded.

I was on the fence about color but glad I pulled the trigger on it despite it being a pain in the arse to keep clean.
Appreciate 0