BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum DIY: X7 OEM M-Sport Mirror Cap Retrofit

07-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
DIY: X7 OEM M-Sport Mirror Cap Retrofit

So after seeing another member post pics of his X7 with this modification, I did a little research and decided I wanted to do this mod too. I think the M-Sport mirrors complete the look of the M-Sport body, so here is a quick DIY for those who may be interested. For those who don't know, the G-series X3, X4, X5, X6 & X7 all share the same mirror parts, so this DIY is applicable to all of them. The M-Sport mirrors come standard on the X3M, X4M and X5M. Apparently, BMW reserves the M-Sport mirrors for the M-cars, or in this case the M-SAV's - X3M, X4M & X5M. The M50i doesn't even get this option. But it is a very simple and relatively inexpensive upgrade to do using all OEM parts. Now for the parts and costs...

51-16-8-097-351 Left M-Sport Mirror Cap, $72
51-16-8-097-352 Right M-Sport Mirror Cap, $72
51-16-8-071-003 Left M-Sport Mirror Supporting Ring, $60
51-16-8-071-004 Right M-Sport Mirror Supporting Ring, $60
Professional Paint (Body Color), $115

I purchased these parts from Schmiedmann, an overseas vendor, for the best price I could find at the time, including shipping. With shipping included, I am in for ~$420 for this mod, which is pretty cheap by OEM BMW standards. It took me approx 45 min or so to get both sides done. I had a local body shop paint the mirror caps to BMW specs. I did some shopping around and as luck would have it, the BMW body shop that is close to me had the best price - which is nice because I know the caps will be painted to BMW specs (they actually price matched another body shop, but what I paid is above). As a reference, the factory procedure to do this is below:

Update: Procedure attached below due to NewTIS no longer being online.

Note: You don't need to remove the mirror adjustment motor as described in the above procedure. I was able to get the mirror support ring off with the motor still installed.

The tools I used for this was a plastic trim removal tool, a standard flat head screw driver, and a T-8 driver. For the pics below, I took both the driver and passenger side as I took the pics out of order. However, both sides are the same except for the fact the driver side has three harnesses attaching the mirror, while the passenger side has two harnesses.

First, tape up the top and bottom of the mirror as shown below to protect any surfaces that could get scratched. While you can't see it in this pic, I put tape on the mirror frame and the mirror cap in case I needed to help pry the mirror cap off.

Next, insert your trim removal tool as shown below. You will gently pry out to release the mirror from the adjustment motor. Once you get one side pried loose, you can use your fingers to gently pry the mirror completely off.

With the mirror released, you will have two or three harnesses to disconnect (passenger side shown below with two harnesses). Carefully disconnect the harnesses and set the mirror aside in a safe place (they are expensive at over $400 each ).

Next remove the mirror cap. It is held in place by two tabs. Insert a flat head screw driver into the slot where the tabs are as shown in the pic below. I used the screw driver to gently push on the tabs to push out the mirror cap. Once the first side is released, I did the same for the other tab. Once both tabs are released, gently pull the mirror cap away as there are a few more smaller tabs along the bottom of the mirror cap. The second pic below shows the primary tabs on the mirror cap for reference.

With the mirror cap off, remove the four torx screws as seen below. Once removed, gently pull the mirror support ring towards the rear of the X7 and slightly outward. You will need to wiggle it around the mirror adjustment motor a bit if you decide not to remove the motor, but the mirror support ring will come off. Before removing the mirror support ring, take note of how the harness wires are routed through it. The second pic is what you will have when the mirror support ring is off.

At this point, installation of the new parts is the reverse of removal. Carefully install the new mirror support ring, it will snap into place slightly before you re-install the four torx screws (if the screw holes don't line up, you installed it wrong). Carefully align the new mirror cap with the main tabs, then snap into place.

One side done for comparison...

And the final result....

Thanks and enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW X7 Exterior Mirror Retaining Ring Removal Procedure.pdf (544.8 KB, 248 views)

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 01-28-2021 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 11
MomoM3984.00
Heimdall136.50
Tex_X768.00
rgrovr416.50
djbonsu113.00
Jakerx699.50
houbmw65.50
      07-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
Krislovesbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i, 2019 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So after seeing another member post pics of his X7 with this modification, I did a little research and decided I wanted to do this mod too. I think the M-Sport mirrors complete the look of the M-Sport body, so here is a quick DIY for those who may be interested. For those who don't know, the G-series X3, X4, X5, X6 & X7 all share the same mirror parts, so this DIY is applicable to all of them. The M-Sport mirrors come standard on the X3M, X4M and X5M. Apparently, BMW reserves the M-Sport mirrors for the M-cars, or in this case the M-SAV's - X3M, X4M & X5M. The M50i doesn't even get this option. But it is a very simple and relatively inexpensive upgrade to do using all OEM parts. Now for the parts and costs...

I purchased these parts from Schmiedmann, an overseas vendor, for the best price I could find at the time, including shipping. With shipping included, I am in for ~$420 for this mod, which is pretty cheap by OEM BMW standards. It took me approx 45 min or so to get both sides done. I had a local body shop paint the mirror caps to BMW specs. I did some shopping around and as luck would have it, the BMW body shop that is close to me had the best price - which is nice because I know the caps will be painted to BMW specs (they actually price matched another body shop, but what I paid is above). As a reference, the factory procedure to do this is below:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...les/1VncunlYIo
Note: You don't need to remove the mirror adjustment motor as described in the above procedure. I was able to get the mirror support ring off with the motor still installed.

The tools I used for this was a plastic trim removal tool, a standard flat head screw driver, and a T-8 driver. For the pics below, I took both the driver and passenger side as I took the pics out of order. However, both sides are the same except for the fact the driver side has three harnesses attaching the mirror, while the passenger side has two harnesses.

First, tape up the top and bottom of the mirror as shown below to protect any surfaces that could get scratched. While you can't see it in this pic, I put tape on the mirror frame and the mirror cap in case I needed to help pry the mirror cap off.

Next, insert your trim removal tool as shown below. You will gently pry out to release the mirror from the adjustment motor. Once you get one side pried loose, you can use your fingers to gently pry the mirror completely off.

With the mirror released, you will have two or three harnesses to disconnect (passenger side shown below with two harnesses). Carefully disconnect the harnesses and set the mirror aside in a safe place (they are expensive at over $400 each ).

Next remove the mirror cap. It is held in place by two tabs. Insert a flat head screw driver into the slot where the tabs are as shown in the pic below. I used the screw driver to gently push on the tabs to push out the mirror cap. Once the first side is released, I did the same for the other tab. Once both tabs are released, gently pull the mirror cap away as there are a few more smaller tabs along the bottom of the mirror cap. The second pic below shows the primary tabs on the mirror cap for reference.

With the mirror cap off, remove the four torx screws as seen below. Once removed, gently pull the mirror support ring towards the rear of the X7 and slightly outward. You will need to wiggle it around the mirror adjustment motor a bit if you decide not to remove the motor, but the mirror support ring will come off. Before removing the mirror support ring, take note of how the harness wires are routed through it. The second pic is what you will have when the mirror support ring is off.

At this point, installation of the new parts is the reverse of removal. Carefully install the new mirror support ring, it will snap into place slightly before you re-install the four torx screws (if the screw holes don't line up, you installed it wrong). Carefully align the new mirror cap with the main tabs, then snap into place.

And the final result....

Thanks and enjoy!

How about these..? they are not originals but carbon fiber one looks cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:13 PM   #3
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Thanks for the very detailed write up! They turned out great. You provided all the necessary information needed. Thank you.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1832.00
      05-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Talking

Thanks for an excellent write-up! Installed them today and now my X7 matches my M5.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jmciver1832.00
      05-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #5
Jakerx
Captain
Rep

One thing I forgot to add…

My screws in the mirror housing were T10, not T8.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #6
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

These look great. Is there any functional effect? They look much more aerodynamic. Any effect on wind noise at higher speeds?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
Jakerx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
These look great. Is there any functional effect? They look much more aerodynamic. Any effect on wind noise at higher speeds?
No functional effect. Perhaps 0.01% more aerodynamic but they could easily be more drag. They just look damn cool to me, and I like the fact the style matches my M5. Some people don’t like them at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #8
lazybruin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: safe

Quote:

Update: Procedure attached below due to NewTIS no longer being online.

And the final result....

Thanks and enjoy!

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions! I'd love to do this to my X7 when it arrives but have a couple questions below..

1) I'm not handy at all and tend to break stuffs... do you have any tips on how I can remove the mirror without breaking it? (e.g. which side should I start prying and how much force should be needed?)

2) I saw some other tutorials online only changing the mirror cap, is that ok or is it a must to change the holding ring as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:56 PM   #9
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

start prying from the bottom and hold your hand on the mirror. just be OK with getting fingerprints all over it.

once the mirror starts to pop free, continue on around, keeping a little pressure on the mirror with your other hand. You're pressing against the mirror at the middle+opposite side of where you're prying, but you're pressing -lightly- so you're not shoving it back onto the catches.

Once it's off, pull out your phone and take a pic of how it's plugged in. I believe my driver's side had one more cable, but I could be wrong.

swapping the ring, once the mirror and cover are off, is a piece of cake. remove a few screws and pop it free, and swap on the new one. look at your replacement pieces for a sec to get your bearings if need be. You'll want to look at the cap side of the ring for the one or two places it clips to the car. If you start here:

and work your way around, it'll pop right off. In the pic I've pushed the mirror FORWARD to get access to that spot. You can and should just do it.

If you choose not to change the ring, which is the easier operation, then your little winglets will be uncapped, leaving the internals of the mirror open to the elements. The ring swap is so easy there's no real reason to do that
      07-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybruin View Post
Thank you so much for your detailed instructions! I'd love to do this to my X7 when it arrives but have a couple questions below..

1) I'm not handy at all and tend to break stuffs... do you have any tips on how I can remove the mirror without breaking it? (e.g. which side should I start prying and how much force should be needed?)

2) I saw some other tutorials online only changing the mirror cap, is that ok or is it a must to change the holding ring as well?
When you insert your trim removal tool in the spot that I indicated in my pic above, just gently pry out and the mirror glass will start to pop out - it won’t take much force. Don’t use a screw driver as you risk damage to the mirror due to the hard metal surface of the screw driver. Once that corner of the mirror glass has popped out, just use your fingers to slowly pry the rest of the mirror off. Then disconnect the harnesses on the back of the mirror.

If you want to use the OEM M-Sport mirror caps, you will also need the OEM M-Sport mirror cap rings. There may be some aftermarket solutions that will give you the “look” of the M-Sport mirror caps using the non-M Sport mirror cap rings (I have seen these for other cars like the F30 3-Series), but I don’t think those look as good - but that is just my preference.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 04:08 PM   #11
lazybruin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
start prying from the bottom and hold your hand on the mirror. just be OK with getting fingerprints all over it.

once the mirror starts to pop free, continue on around, keeping a little pressure on the mirror with your other hand. You're pressing against the mirror at the middle+opposite side of where you're prying, but you're pressing -lightly- so you're not shoving it back onto the catches.

Once it's off, pull out your phone and take a pic of how it's plugged in. I believe my driver's side had one more cable, but I could be wrong.

swapping the ring, once the mirror and cover are off, is a piece of cake. remove a few screws and pop it free, and swap on the new one. look at your replacement pieces for a sec to get your bearings if need be. You'll want to look at the cap side of the ring for the one or two places it clips to the car. If you start here:

and work your way around, it'll pop right off. In the pic I've pushed the mirror FORWARD to get access to that spot. You can and should just do it.

If you choose not to change the ring, which is the easier operation, then your little winglets will be uncapped, leaving the internals of the mirror open to the elements. The ring swap is so easy there's no real reason to do that
Ooooh nice tips! I didn't know you can actually push the mirror forward (since that's not the direction people usually push these). I'll take note of that for sure!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 04:12 PM   #12
lazybruin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
When you insert your trim removal tool in the spot that I indicated in my pic above, just gently pry out and the mirror glass will start to pop out - it won’t take much force. Don’t use a screw driver as you risk damage to the mirror due to the hard metal surface of the screw driver. Once that corner of the mirror glass has popped out, just use your fingers to slowly pry the rest of the mirror off. Then disconnect the harnesses on the back of the mirror.

If you want to use the OEM M-Sport mirror caps, you will also need the OEM M-Sport mirror cap rings. There may be some aftermarket solutions that will give you the “look” of the M-Sport mirror caps using the non-M Sport mirror cap rings (I have seen these for other cars like the F30 3-Series), but I don’t think those look as good - but that is just my preference.

Agreed it doesn't look as good if part of the "wing" will become uncovered so I think swapping out the rings make sense and it sounds like the hardest part is popping the mirror off, which needs to be done anyway to swap out the caps.

Ideally I'd want the caps to be carbon fiber but too bad they don't have OEM for that, so I may do gloss black on my Alpine White. Thank you again for the detailed instructions and tips!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 05:56 PM   #13
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

popping off the mirror is by far the most difficult part--and at that, it's not that difficult. It's just a matter of having confidence when you pop it out
      08-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #14
Jakerx
Captain
Rep

When completing this mod, I highly recommend putting painter's tape around the entire border of the mirror housing, not just the locations shown in the write-up above. As you finagle the mirror off, there's an extremely high chance of scratching the housing with the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #15
lazybruin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Another great tip right there! Thanks for sharing!

Also, I noticed there are two small cables on the upper side that have the same color, are they interchangeable or we have to remember which specific port they each plug into?

On a separate topic, since I'm going to pry open the cap and remove the ring anyway, has anyone tried replacing the turn signal with aftermarket sequential lights? I saw some smoked sequential lights that look really good and would love to swap those out if possible within my DIY capability.
One challenge that I can think of would be the camera being in the way, so I'd love to see if anyone had the experience doing it and want to share. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:53 AM   #16
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybruin View Post
Another great tip right there! Thanks for sharing!

Also, I noticed there are two small cables on the upper side that have the same color, are they interchangeable or we have to remember which specific port they each plug into?

On a separate topic, since I'm going to pry open the cap and remove the ring anyway, has anyone tried replacing the turn signal with aftermarket sequential lights? I saw some smoked sequential lights that look really good and would love to swap those out if possible within my DIY capability.
One challenge that I can think of would be the camera being in the way, so I'd love to see if anyone had the experience doing it and want to share. TIA!
Those two spade connectors on the mirror that are the same color (black) are for the mirror heating element, so it should not matter which is plugged in where (or BMW would have color coded them). However, for my install I noted their original orientation and put them back in their original spots - just to keep my OCD happy .

As far as the sequential turn signal upgrade, I have no data on that…

Appreciate 0