BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Best tire brand for X7(US)

11-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Best tire brand for X7(US)

Hey guys, I'm so confused about which brand should I choose with my next tire purchase. Most X7 come with either Bridgestone or Continental and rarely with Michelin or Pirelli. Even though I got Conti, from my observations Bridgestone is a better option among the two, because they offer a better amount of grip over wet roads when compared with Conti. However, following the Conti UTQG rating is higher than BS and in the meantime, both are lagging in minimizing the body rolls when entering the corners, at a hard turn, etc. As my friend said(BMW Service Manager) Michelin XM2 offers minimum resistance against roll, it stays in a better position in both road grip and also mileage. On another hand, my neighbor says that Conti are softer than Bridgestone and has issues with warranty at times.

I'm thinking now, why BMW chose Conti and BS tires which supposedly are for (low) medium-range vehicles over premiums like Michelin and Pirelli. Then my uncle(body shops owner) is telling me that Conti gives better ride quality as compared to BS which by the way wears faster than Conti. At the end of the day, the difference is so minor that You have to be an expert driver to feel the difference. Of course, it all also depends on the inflation pressure, driving style, weather, the condition of the suspension, etc. A friend of mine X7 is just $3k more expensive than my $90k X7. I got Conti and his wears BS. Wonder why, if Conti is double the price and everyone is disputing their quality and lifespan? All opinion, feedback and recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by exokiss View Post
Hey guys, I'm so confused about which brand should I choose with my next tire purchase. Most X7 come with either Bridgestone or Continental and rarely with Michelin or Pirelli. Even though I got Conti, from my observations Bridgestone is a better option among the two, because they offer a better amount of grip over wet roads when compared with Conti. However, following the Conti UTQG rating is higher than BS and in the meantime, both are lagging in minimizing the body rolls when entering the corners, at a hard turn, etc. As my friend said(BMW Service Manager) Michelin XM2 offers minimum resistance against roll, it stays in a better position in both road grip and also mileage. On another hand, my neighbor says that Conti are softer than Bridgestone and has issues with warranty at times.

I'm thinking now, why BMW chose Conti and BS tires which supposedly are for (low) medium-range vehicles over premiums like Michelin and Pirelli. Then my uncle(body shops owner) is telling me that Conti gives better ride quality as compared to BS which by the way wears faster than Conti. At the end of the day, the difference is so minor that You have to be an expert driver to feel the difference. Of course, it all also depends on the inflation pressure, driving style, weather, the condition of the suspension, etc. A friend of mine X7 is just $3k more expensive than my $90k X7. I got Conti and his wears BS. Wonder why, if Conti is double the price and everyone is disputing their quality and lifespan? All opinion, feedback and recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have Bridgestone Alenza All Season "NON" run flat tires on my 2020 X7. I like them but I would prefer Michelin. However, I haven't been able to find any All Season Non run flat tires in the 285/45R21 tire size from Michelin. Plus, if money is a concern, the Bridgestone Alenzas can be had for under $250.00 per tire which is about 1/2 the price of the Pirelli tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I just put Continental AS non-runflats on my 21” winter/touring wheels. They were more money than the Bridgestone. I have Continentals on my 22” summer wheels as well. No issues to speak of and the ride is very good. I will say the 21” non run flats are smoother but that could be because of wheel size. In general I prefer Michelin tires. I put Continetal AS on my wife’s Audi A4 and it does very well in the snow and rides good.

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
Hoosbest
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Agree. I have the non-run flat (swore I would never buy BMW run flats years ago). The Bridgestone Alenza are the best bang for the buck. I do prefer Michelin - but no good choices. I got my Alenza on Amazon for $195 and shipped to a local Mavis. Install and delivered price was something like $225 per tire which is ridiculously cheap. I stay away from Continental at all cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
FWIW, I hydroplaned pretty bad with my Bridgestone Alenza A/S RFTs a couple of weeks ago, and the treads were still in great shape.

It was on a major highway with 3 lanes of traffic with no other cars seeming to have issues. The situation obviously wasn't great with a heavy downpour, causing some intermittent standing water here and there, but I often use other people having issues on roads in these kind of situations as a judge for how much risk I'm taking, figuring my car and tires could handle better than 90+% of the others on the road. Sad to say that wasn't the case here. I'm usually not a fan of A/S tires to begin with, though this was a high 50s/low 60s day, so likely one of the situations the A/S rubber compound was ideal. The tire design, inclusive of them being RFT which I would also normally stay away from, proved be the main contributing factor from the tire (and of course my speed, albeit still slightly below the speed limit). Luckily I was able to avoid a disaster, but it wasn't without any consequence. I certainly started looking for alternative tires once I got home, and likely won't feel as comfortable with this car in the wet until different tires could prove otherwise.
      11-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
@unfoundnemo you got quite an unpleasant experience. Similar thing happened to me couple years ago nearby Verrazzano bridge, but back then I was driving XC90. However, I have to admit I underestimated the weather conditions which caused a furious skid from right all the way to the left lane. Thankfully, the vehicle's systems prevented an inevitable accident. Now, we respect to all BMW techs here, but is it really mandatory changing those tires w/MSport brakes by the dealer only, or they're just bs me?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
@unfoundnemo you got quite an unpleasant experience. Similar thing happened to me couple years ago nearby Verrazzano bridge, but back then I was driving XC90. However, I have to admit I underestimated the weather conditions which caused a furious skid from right all the way to the left lane. Thankfully, the vehicle's systems prevented an inevitable accident. Now, we respect to all BMW techs here, but is it really mandatory changing those tires w/MSport brakes by the dealer only, or they're just bs me?
What??? Are they telling you can’t put your own winter wheels on?? I just did it and it’s no different than any other car other than turning off the air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
What??? Are they telling you can't put your own winter wheels on?? I just did it and it's no different than any other car other than turning off the air suspension.
Ok, I got it..COVID-19 took away so much from all of us, incl. the dealers, but then being honest & genuine is a myth already. They're bugging me about a specific brakes calibration and all the nonsense. They must've been really hungry nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #9
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
A friend of mine X7 is just $3k more expensive than my $90k X7. I got Conti and his wears BS. Wonder why, if Conti is double the price and everyone is disputing their quality and lifespan?
Regarding you getting Conti and his getting BS, likely timing. They signed a deal with BS last year, so the use of Conti either pre-dated that deal, or just change as they were fulfilling some obligations of an old contract or just using up stock. Current OE choice seems to be BS, but I wouldn't count their press release on them really thinking it's the best choice. Well, perhaps the best choice for them.

https://www.rubbernews.com/automotiv...ment-bmw-x5-x7
      11-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
FWIW, I hydroplaned pretty bad with my Bridgestone Alenza A/S RFTs a couple of weeks ago, and the treads were still in great shape.

It was on a major highway with 3 lanes of traffic with no other cars seeming to have issues. The situation obviously wasn't great with a heavy downpour, causing some intermittent standing water here and there, but I often use other people having issues on roads in these kind of situations as a judge for how much risk I'm taking, figuring my car and tires could handle better than 90+% of the others on the road. Sad to say that wasn't the case here. I'm usually not a fan of A/S tires to begin with, though this was a high 50s/low 60s day, so likely one of the situations the A/S rubber compound was ideal. The tire design, inclusive of them being RFT which I would also normally stay away from, proved be the main contributing factor from the tire (and of course my speed, albeit still slightly below the speed limit). Luckily I was able to avoid a disaster, but it wasn't without any consequence. I certainly started looking for alternative tires once I got home, and likely won't feel as comfortable with this car in the wet until different tires could prove otherwise.
Strange. As I stated previously, I have the 21" Alenza non Run Flat all season tires and live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains all the time. I've driven my X7 in a torrential down pour several times on these tires and have never had a hydroplaning problem. I'm guessing it has something to do with the Run Flat rubber compound.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #11
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Strange. As I stated previously, I have the 21" Alenza non Run Flat all season tires and live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains all the time. I've driven my X7 in a torrential down pour several times on these tires and have never had a hydroplaning problem. I'm guessing it has something to do with the Run Flat rubber compound.
When it comes to hydroplaning there are several factors and it's hard to compare one situation to another. Just because it rains the same in two different places it doesn't necessarily mean that your experience is going to be the same. If the road is not maintained the same and you have a lot of standing water, even brand new tires may have an issue maintaining grip to the road. I had good and bad experience with every single tire brand in terms of dry/wet grip, noise, ride comfort, longevity, puncture magnet, etc. The issue is also that the same tire brand and model will work great on one vehicle but it will completely suck on another. It's also really hard to form an opinion as everyone's experience is slightly different - case in point: the hydroplaning observation.
It's great that people are asking about other's experience specifically with X7, that's a first step. Combining various experiences in similar locations, circumstances and same model vehicle may lead to a better formulated conclusions.
Contrary to what has been said so far, I'm not disappointed with the 21" RFT Contis I have. I know Conti's reputation for being a "weak" tire, and I would never put them on a serious performance vehicle, but they do offer fairly decent comfort and are not that noisy - all the elements luxury vehicle owners look for. Finding a tire that does it all is like finding a live unicorn while shopping at Costco on Black Friday.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #12
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
...Finding a tire that does it all is like finding a live unicorn while shopping at Costco on Black Friday.
At this point, I'd rather join the line for the unicorn than taking a chance to wear the wrong tire. However, it's still unclear to me, because it's a personal choice and experience, but so far I'm leaning towards Continental. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:55 AM   #13
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I don't feel a need to rush out of my bs Alenza rft but I'm looking forward to getting a new pair of shoes for the x7 when time. I have found the pirelli to be better in general on my previous x5. Surprised no one has mentioned here yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:11 PM   #14
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:

I would not stress about it, but Bridgestone have slightly longer stopping distance vs Conti when you look at 21" vehicles tested by car and driver.

Bridgestone is also much less $$$ in the 21 as a replacement. I replaced conti with Bridgestone on our 2019 and there is no noticeable difference
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
JTMdalTX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 G07

Garage List
Conti OEMs suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
I would not stress about it, but Bridgestone have slightly longer stopping distance vs Conti when you look at 21" vehicles tested by car and driver.

Bridgestone is also much less $$$ in the 21 as a replacement. I replaced conti with Bridgestone on our 2019 and there is no noticeable difference
Hi @like2short, I saw your original post back in July just after the dealer told me one of the Conti's SSRs on my '19 X7 was at 4/32 w/ barely 11.5k miles on it. I couldn't believe it, and have been arguing w/ BMW since then about if they're going to stand behind the crappy tires that came on a $95k car. Still no luck, but this helps to see what you did - went w/ the BS, although I have 22s and TireRack only has the Conti's and Pirelli PZ4s that fit. No tire should on a SUV w/ that low of miles should have this problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:24 PM   #16
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMdalTX View Post
Hi @like2short, I saw your original post back in July just after the dealer told me one of the Conti's SSRs on my '19 X7 was at 4/32 w/ barely 11.5k miles on it. I couldn't believe it, and have been arguing w/ BMW since then about if they're going to stand behind the crappy tires that came on a $95k car. Still no luck, but this helps to see what you did - went w/ the BS, although I have 22s and TireRack only has the Conti's and Pirelli PZ4s that fit. No tire should on a SUV w/ that low of miles should have this problem.
Frustrating, I know, but unfortunately this is going to be a case for most tires in this category. You are fighting a losing war here, can't beat physics and chemistry. Extremely heavy vehicle on steam roller tires. In 22", you get summer performance tires, super sticky (weather -temp- permitting, otherwise not so much) with a treadwear rating of 280. Compare that to all season 21" tires with a treadwear rating of 480 with most people getting somewhere between 15K~25K on the set of those. I think you did pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #17
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I replaced our Continental all season run flats at around 19k was around 4/32. Bridgestones were way less $ so it was no brainer.

As regards to short tread wear on an $$& car, well... to make a heavy car handle and perform well, the tires need to grip and that means softer compounds. And the tire companies work with bmw to get OE fitment giving away engineering resources and a great deal on the factory fitment so they have to get us to pay for replacement. This biz model was explained to me by pirelli ceo Marco Provera. He said premium cars need tires every 18 months on average and they are higher priced with because of special features like unique large diameter sizes and run flat... etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:26 PM   #18
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
I replaced our Continental all season run flats at around 19k was around 4/32. Bridgestones were way less $ so it was no brainer.

As regards to short tread wear on an $$& car, well... to make a heavy car handle and perform well, the tires need to grip and that means softer compounds. And the tire companies work with bmw to get OE fitment giving away engineering resources and a great deal on the factory fitment so they have to get us to pay for replacement. This biz model was explained to me by pirelli ceo Marco Provera. He said premium cars need tires every 18 months on average and they are higher priced with because of special features like unique large diameter sizes and run flat... etc.
Well, tell him we all can save money, by making non-run flats then. Everybody wins.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #19
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:

Well, tell him we all can save money, by making non-run flats then. Everybody wins.
That's a BMW decision....on RFTs...And they do give you the option to get non RFTs...

Just remember the X7 is one of BMW's most profitable models.... and that goes for the tire suppliers too. If the Conti sells for $400 and the Bridgestone sells for around $270.... one tire company is extracting more profit.

I know it sucks to pay this much for tires that don't last long , but feel somewhat privileged to be having this conversation.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:39 PM   #20
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

has anyone gone from the contis to the pz4's (runflat or non) in warmer spots like socal?
      01-25-2021, 11:32 PM   #21
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
has anyone gone from the contis to the pz4's (runflat or non) in warmer spots like socal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post

Lol.. I think everybody here is too cheap based on the whining about treadlife... I'd also look at the Michelin option if you are considering summers...and have 21s.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:19 AM   #22
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

I'm a little lost with the short bus. Everything I've owned previously has ps4s's, so rolling around on stiff plastic hoops really isn't a big desire for me and so cal gets less than 10" of rain per year so ill-weather performance isn't a concern.

of course, I get the feeling you know all this haha