03-17-2021, 10:35 PM   #1
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Downloaded the new software

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My phone told me that there was a new update. I downloaded it and when it was finished about the only thing I noticed was that we now have a lap timer. I don't need a lap timer so I'm good.

But...

Now my steering wheel button will not change the radio station. I used to be able to push the right or left button and go through my radio stations or next track or even next chapter if I was listening to an audio book.

This no longer works
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 12:47 AM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Ah, sorry, dude. My X7 was delivered with that software, and no issues with the track change buttons. Sorry to hear!
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #3
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
My phone told me that there was a new update. I downloaded it and when it was finished about the only thing I noticed was that we now have a lap timer. I don't need a lap timer so I'm good.

But...

Now my steering wheel button will not change the radio station. I used to be able to push the right or left button and go through my radio stations or next track or even next chapter if I was listening to an audio book.

This no longer works
Are you referring to when you are in the iDrive audio experience or CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:25 PM   #4
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Are you referring to when you are in the iDrive audio experience or CarPlay?
Carplay
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Carplay
Same here.

Are you saying that in the right pod of the instrument cluster, that when you change it to Media > CarPlay that you can't use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel to navigate to different radio stations?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 09:09 PM   #6
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Same here.

Are you saying that in the right pod of the instrument cluster, that when you change it to Media > CarPlay that you can't use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel to navigate to different radio stations?

I never use the scroll wheel. I do use the left and right arrow to just switch between my preset stations. That no longer works.

It's really strange too. Say I am on station 1. Pushing left or right does nothing. I have one of my quick buttons on the dash set to turn on the radio. When I push that, the radio goes right to station 2. Every time no matter where it used to be.

With the radio showing on my screen, the left and right button will change the stations. As soon as I put the car play map back on the screen, the left and right button stop working.

So aggravating. I'm a pretty simple guy (Keep the car in echo mode lol). All I ever do is change the stations up or down between my first three presets. Station 1 is the news. When there is a commercial, I push the right button and go to CNN. As soon as CNN starts to sound crazy, I push the right button again and go to Patriot radio. Obviously, that sounds as crazy really quick. But by then I am sure the commercials have ended on the news station so I just push the left button twice real quick and get back to the news and reality.

Now I have to listen to the commercials or change to nav screen out to radio. Every time since the new update.

I am due in 2000 miles (Less than a month for me) to get the oil changed. I'll see if I can wait it out until then.

On a side note (see other posts) I paid for the traffic light app. It sucks but I have no way to delete it. I called genius and they said to call BMW. BMW told me to call genius. Hopefully the dealer will be able to get rid of this too.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:06 PM   #7
akap007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5d

Try a hard iDrive reset by pushing and holding the power knob for 20 seconds.

I've had this bug pop up occasionally where my instrument cluster won't sync and display the media that's showing on the center console. The steering wheel media switches therefore don't function. Hard iDrive reset usually clears the bug.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 11:10 AM   #8
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I never use the scroll wheel. I do use the left and right arrow to just switch between my preset stations. That no longer works.

It's really strange too. Say I am on station 1. Pushing left or right does nothing. I have one of my quick buttons on the dash set to turn on the radio. When I push that, the radio goes right to station 2. Every time no matter where it used to be.

With the radio showing on my screen, the left and right button will change the stations. As soon as I put the car play map back on the screen, the left and right button stop working.

So aggravating. I'm a pretty simple guy (Keep the car in echo mode lol). All I ever do is change the stations up or down between my first three presets. Station 1 is the news. When there is a commercial, I push the right button and go to CNN. As soon as CNN starts to sound crazy, I push the right button again and go to Patriot radio. Obviously, that sounds as crazy really quick. But by then I am sure the commercials have ended on the news station so I just push the left button twice real quick and get back to the news and reality.

Now I have to listen to the commercials or change to nav screen out to radio. Every time since the new update.

I am due in 2000 miles (Less than a month for me) to get the oil changed. I'll see if I can wait it out until then.

On a side note (see other posts) I paid for the traffic light app. It sucks but I have no way to delete it. I called genius and they said to call BMW. BMW told me to call genius. Hopefully the dealer will be able to get rid of this too.

Got it.

While its not as easy as using the skip arrows, you can a) turn the rightmost display of the gauge cluster to Entertainment and then b) turn the scroll wheel on the steering wheel to get to all three stations with just that one additional step.

Using this display + scroll wheel combination will also allow you to toggle all the audio sources (radio, satellite, CarPlay). I love the display + scroll wheel as it means I never have to use the touchscreen or the iDrive controller at all and it works with CarPlay too. And by putting the Entertainment on the gauge cluster display it means the iDrive screen can show maps full screen.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #9
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB SLK55, BMW 340i MPPSK

Quote:

But...

This no longer works
This is also not functioning on my X7. The dealer did my update due to the recall and fuel pump issue.
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #10
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB SLK55, BMW 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by akap007 View Post
Try a hard iDrive reset by pushing and holding the power knob for 20 seconds.

I've had this bug pop up occasionally where my instrument cluster won't sync and display the media that's showing on the center console. The steering wheel media switches therefore don't function. Hard iDrive reset usually clears the bug.
I tried this and the bug is still present.
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 0