BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Regrets on X7

01-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Regrets on X7

Hell no! None, nadda, nothing...

Going on 6 weeks or so with my M50i, absolutely love it. It’s got some quirks were finding out but every time I drive it I’m amazed and still can’t believe I own one. First payment is due this week and it’s worth every penny...maybe not in physical value, but in overall satisfaction and sheer enjoyment.

Just some quick quirks/observations below:
- when we exit the vehicle and don’t lock it the radio stays on for a while
- getting out of the vehicle my leg still rubs on the lower door surround...gets it nice and clean...anyone else?
- still hate it when in CarPlay and you mess with your phone it takes over the audio source...and it’s the passenger on the iPhone
- flooring it sport plus scares me and gives my wife a heart attack
- the preset buttons are inconsistent. Since it’s one long piece of plastic if you’re not exactly over preset 5 it may select preset 4 or 6 depending on where your finger is at
- it’s big and gets dirty quickly
- I haven’t come across anything except for a Tesla so far that can beat me off the line and sustain
- got up to 100 on the highway and it was smooth as silk...wish we had an autobahn
- sound of the V8 is bad ass...was picking up dinner the other night and a dodge (not hellcat, just a hemi) was flexing against a mustang (not a gt350 or 500). Whatever. I’ll take them both on and keep my drinks chilled in their cup holders while basking in my ambient lighting
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      01-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
Avi Misra
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Hell no! None, nadda, nothing...

Going on 6 weeks or so with my M50i, absolutely love it. It’s got some quirks were finding out but every time I drive it I’m amazed and still can’t believe I own one. First payment is due this week and it’s worth every penny...maybe not in physical value, but in overall satisfaction and sheer enjoyment.

Just some quick quirks/observations below:
- when we exit the vehicle and don’t lock it the radio stays on for a while
- getting out of the vehicle my leg still rubs on the lower door surround...gets it nice and clean...anyone else?
- still hate it when in CarPlay and you mess with your phone it takes over the audio source...and it’s the passenger on the iPhone
- the preset buttons are inconsistent. Since it’s one long piece of plastic if you’re not exactly over preset 5 it may select preset 4 or 6 depending on where your finger is at
- it’s big and gets dirty quickly
- I haven’t come across anything except for a Tesla so far that can beat me off the line and sustain
- got up to 100 on the highway and it was smooth as silk...wish we had an autobahn
- sound of the V8 is bad ass...was picking up dinner the other night and a dodge (not hellcat, just a hemi) was flexing against a mustang (not a gt350 or 500). Whatever. I’ll take them both on and keep my drinks chilled in their cup holders while basking in my ambient lighting

+1
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

— when we exit the vehicle and don't lock it the radio stays on for a while
There's a setting for this, I don't recall what it is at the moment. As soon as the last person exits the vehicle, upon lifting the door handle, the radio will shut down.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:02 PM   #4
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Ha! My wife now likes to scare me when she's driving. I've had my M50i since March and still loving the duality of its character. So civilized, but a beast lurks below the surface.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 11:10 PM   #5
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Need to add one.
- drives amazing in the snow, snow packed roads, and iced roads.

I do have to caveat that I have snow tires on my X7 and we didn’t get a blizzard, but enough snow here in Colorado to make for some slick conditions. Quite a few cars ended up in the ditch or had to pull over due to loss of traction.

Glad I’m not the only one who cleans their car when the exit the door.
I’ll take a look for the audio setting.
Agree, really a dual personality vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
columbia16
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, Arctic Gray

Three week X7 m50i owner....800 miles...regrets?

regrets:

wished we ordered the leather dashboard - we had this option on our current 2018 X5 and it looks great - the plastic dash looks fine but definitely a downgrade...i realize it is an expensive option that most would never notice, but after spending over 110K on an SUV what's another 1k?

the android auto is not great - it takes over your phone and is quirky - and i have already reset the connection once already - and will avoid using it... and use Waze on my phone.

NO other regrets...

Why we love our X7:

V8 - will never go back to a 6 cylinder - our x5 40i is quick but we are so glad to have upgraded!

Arctic gray / Tartufo / Shadowline / Piano black - awesome - we were parked next to a new supercharged LWB range rover today - blacked out - and the RR looked dated next to the m50i x7

752 winter wheel/tire combo - awesome

DHP and four wheel steering - enhances the ride, makes a large SUV nimble in tight parking garages, def an improvement over a 2 week loaner X7 non DHP we drove

laser lights - unbelievable.

did I mention the engine?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 09:49 PM   #7
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Leather dashboard - yes, my wife had to be talked into that along with the B&W audio. I finally convinced her after I convinced her on the Merino leather. She initially wanted Vernasca leather like in my /x3 because she liked the grain-like pattern. I kept moving her back and forth between X5s in the showroom to convince her. After that, I mentioned the standard dash wouldn't match the merino...it worked.

The B&W was simply a matter of checking the last option available. She didn't like the metal speaker covers, which I absolutely love. Again, bounced her back and forth between vehicles with and without...then I just said it was the only option left, why not get it all.

No regrets...she loves both options now.

Had we bought the X7 my wife optioned out initially, we'd have saved a ton of money, but in the end the one we ended up with thanks to me is simply incredible.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:56 PM   #8
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Oddly, I went back and forth on the leather dash after more or less fully loading the car. I'm glad I optioned it. It's a lovely finishing touch. Frankly, it should be standard on the M50i, but we all know the drill.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:16 AM   #9
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Oddly, I went back and forth on the leather dash after more or less fully loading the car. I'm glad I optioned it. It's a lovely finishing touch. Frankly, it should be standard on the M50i, but we all know the drill.
I went all in on my m50i also. Every available option that was allowable at the time we ordered in august. They night vision and rear seat entertainment wasn’t available for ordering on 21’s which I still don’t think it is either way. I didn’t need those two options. Rear seat screens I don’t need because my kids aren’t liittle anymore and night vision is nice but a bit odd a gimmick to me since I had it on a car and while cool I hardly needed it or used it. I don’t drive a ton at night and on deserted roads where deer and other stuff can pop out. Definitely nice but not at all missed to me. Everything else I have and b/w sound system is awesome. Dhp and 4 wheel steering arrive as well. Semi autonomous driving also awesome. Whole car is awesome lol. Now at almost 3000 miles. Still loving it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #10
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB SLK55, BMW 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi Misra View Post

+1
+2 every damn time
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
FredGarvin
Rep
Drives: GLE63

Quote:
I've been nervous about a leather dash et al after owning a late 80's L6. Darn leather dash would wrinkle up something ugly - most likely due to sun/heat exposure. Dealer replaced twice under warranty, but after that expired no luck. No doubt the BMW supplier has improved the process and this is no longer an issue, but still gives me pause.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:47 PM   #12
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

80's leather dashes were known to disintegrate like the quality tee-shirts from Chinatown. Today's leather dashes are a lot more durable.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #13
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredGarvin View Post
Quote:
I've been nervous about a leather dash et al after owning a late 80's L6. Darn leather dash would wrinkle up something ugly - most likely due to sun/heat exposure. Dealer replaced twice under warranty, but after that expired no luck. No doubt the BMW supplier has improved the process and this is no longer an issue, but still gives me pause.
I had no issues with my Volvo XC90 over the four years I owed it here in Colorado. The sun is brutal at 5000+ft. I've had my X7 since March 2020 and not seeing any issues. It looks and feels pretty durable.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:30 PM   #14
jhb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i

I am torn on captains chairs. Love them for looks and comfort, hate they don't go down. Will most likely remove armrests as others have to make access to 3rd row easier for kids.

One reason I bought the car was for driving to ski during the winter. Now I wish I got the semi autonomous driving package.
2006 x5 4.4
2000 528i: 1989 525i: 1986 528e
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #15
Saejin
Captain
Rep

I tinted the front windshield so should protect the dash even more.

Think I’ve figured out a way to exit without rubbing my leg...still working on it.

I think the semi-autonomous driving system was better in my Volvo XC90 than the X7. The X7 seems to react a bit late especially around curves whereas the XC90 stayed in the center all the time.
Also, the X7 is super aggressive and doesn’t always recognize the road lines correctly. Already had a a few times the X7 tried to take an exit or following the line tar makes when they fill long cracks in the asphalt on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:02 PM   #16
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep
Drives: BMW X7,Lexus GS 350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
— when we exit the vehicle and don't lock it the radio stays on for a while
There's a setting for this, I don't recall what it is at the moment. As soon as the last person exits the vehicle, upon lifting the door handle, the radio will shut down.
Press the Idrive button for a few seconds and it will shut everything down. This drove me crazy when I first got my X7. If you are on a call and switch from Bluetooth to phone, it also stays on. Same fix!
Appreciate 1
Jagu155.50
      01-14-2021, 11:59 PM   #17
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Couple of more...

- I paired my wife’s phone to the X7 now, not as CarPlay but just Bluetooth as a passenger. So when she gets a call it hands free which is great. But when we transfer the call audio to her phone so I don’t have to listen to her friends yapping...I mean so she can speak privately, I can’t play any other audio source such as the radio.

- coming to a stop there’s always an abrupt end where the X7 stops then settles back. I’ve been able to stop smooth a few times if I feather the brake, but hate doing that. I’m used to it now, but any others having this come up.

- the preconditioning or whatever it is when you shut the X7 down is getting old. Was at a Costco getting gas and the attendant said I needed to turn off the vehicle. I told him I did and the car just does this on it’s own very time. Is this a permanent thing. Sometimes I get out and have to double check that I actually turned the X7 off

- gesture controls keep misinterpreting my hand movements as commands...going to turn it off this weekend. Like the volume control, but don’t really use any others.

- got a 2021 M50i and hate the fact I didn’t get the glass volume knob...they change it out from 2020

- love the power and was driving alone today on sport plus and had the opportunity to jump on the gas more...now I’m wanting more power, but not necessarily in a large SUV. I had said it scared me originally, but as I get used to it, the more more more I want. Already looking at what to get as technically we have one car now.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #18
Avi Misra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Couple of more...

- I paired my wife’s phone to the X7 now, not as CarPlay but just Bluetooth as a passenger. So when she gets a call it hands free which is great. But when we transfer the call audio to her phone so I don’t have to listen to her friends yapping...I mean so she can speak privately, I can’t play any other audio source such as the radio.

- coming to a stop there’s always an abrupt end where the X7 stops then settles back. I’ve been able to stop smooth a few times if I feather the brake, but hate doing that. I’m used to it now, but any others having this come up.

- the preconditioning or whatever it is when you shut the X7 down is getting old. Was at a Costco getting gas and the attendant said I needed to turn off the vehicle. I told him I did and the car just does this on it’s own very time. Is this a permanent thing. Sometimes I get out and have to double check that I actually turned the X7 off

- gesture controls keep misinterpreting my hand movements as commands...going to turn it off this weekend. Like the volume control, but don’t really use any others.

- got a 2021 M50i and hate the fact I didn’t get the glass volume knob...they change it out from 2020

- love the power and was driving alone today on sport plus and had the opportunity to jump on the gas more...now I’m wanting more power, but not necessarily in a large SUV. I had said it scared me originally, but as I get used to it, the more more more I want. Already looking at what to get as technically we have one car now.
+1 on the glass volume knob ! Minor thing but still.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:53 PM   #19
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

If the glass knob is desired, you can order it for $20.
(link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...31a04c4dxsWMfQ )
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tinbad141.00
      01-17-2021, 09:05 PM   #20
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Or you can just order a real one from BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:11 PM   #21
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

- coming to a stop, there's always an abrupt end where the X7 stops then settles back. I've been able to stop smooth a few times if I feather the brake, but hate doing that. I'm used to it now, but any others having this come up.

I've noticed this mostly in sport and sport+. I have learned to "feather" as well to minimize the hard stop.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:43 AM   #22
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Ok really don’t regret much of anything on our 2020 x7. If anything I do wish I test drove one with DHP to see the difference as this beast does feel large in tight turns. RES wasn’t worth it IMO as individual tablets will offer content flexibility on long trips. Last but not least the B&W system offered a better soundstage but the bass output seemed the same compared to HK system IMO. Our 40i m-sport platform suites us well for our intended road trips and power is good. Will have sport + coded along with a few other things and Maybe a small tune for the b58 in the future 😈
Appreciate 0