BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Dishonorable, Disgusting, Unprofessional experience at Arrowhead BMW

01-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
Chai Five
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp Coupe

Exclamation Dishonorable, Disgusting, Unprofessional experience at Arrowhead BMW

Hello members. I need advice. Im sorry to share that Arrowhead BMW in Glendale Arizona has reneged on a deal in the most disgusting fashion. I am hoping our community can guide me in some positive direction to complete the deal or helpme get a "pound of flesh."

Story:

I Placed a 5k deposit for an X7 M50i order with the dealership for a car to be made to my specs several weeks ago. The financial terms were quite beneficial to me. As good or better than any deal currently available for this model. (Yes, I have the order paperwork in case anyone is curious) Order was built and delivered to the dealer this past week. (I currently am a BMW customer. But I did not acquire my current leased 2020 M8comp coupe from this particular dealership) The sales guy sent me pics of the vehicle pre-pdi. They took my credit app and approved me for BMW Financing. The next day they say I cant take possession of the car, and ship the car, until the check clears from BMW Financial, which is several days after I sign the documents. 30 minutes later they cancel the deal and refund my CC because Im out of state and dont want to sell me the car because Im an Oregon resident who does not need to pay sales tax. Yes the car was going to be shipped to Oregon. I did not hide the fact I was an Oregon Resident. I provided my insurance and Drivers License to the dealership in order to purchase the vehicle when I ordered it.... and yes they knew it was going to be shipped upon order and again when it came in.

I originally negotiated great financial terms of the deal with the prior GSM of the dealership who has now moved up in the company and is in the process of opening a Jaguar LAndRover dealership down the street from the BMW store. I contacted him and he said he would look into it next week because he is out of town this weekend.

Folks, I believe they are not contractually bound to sell me the car, at least I dont think they are. However this is slimy, unprofessional, ugly behavior. IT feels to me they are just screwing me because they can make more money from another buyer.

Options for resolution:

Complain to BMW corporate. Anyone have any ideas which Executive at BMW corporate I could contact that can actually make something happen?

Turn to social media and share my experience.

Any more suggestions you guys have would be more than welcome!

Thanks a ton for reading this and helping with any input!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Weird. My dealer sells to out of state clients all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai Five View Post
Hello members. I need advice. Im sorry to share that Arrowhead BMW in Glendale Arizona has reneged on a deal in the most disgusting fashion. I am hoping our community can guide me in some positive direction to complete the deal or helpme get a "pound of flesh."

Story:

I Placed a 5k deposit for an X7 M50i order with the dealership for a car to be made to my specs several weeks ago. The financial terms were quite beneficial to me. As good or better than any deal currently available for this model. (Yes, I have the order paperwork in case anyone is curious) Order was built and delivered to the dealer this past week. (I currently am a BMW customer. But I did not acquire my current leased 2020 M8comp coupe from this particular dealership) The sales guy sent me pics of the vehicle pre-pdi. They took my credit app and approved me for BMW Financing. The next day they say I cant take possession of the car, and ship the car, until the check clears from BMW Financial, which is several days after I sign the documents. 30 minutes later they cancel the deal and refund my CC because Im out of state and dont want to sell me the car because Im an Oregon resident who does not need to pay sales tax. Yes the car was going to be shipped to Oregon. I did not hide the fact I was an Oregon Resident. I provided my insurance and Drivers License to the dealership in order to purchase the vehicle when I ordered it.... and yes they knew it was going to be shipped upon order and again when it came in.

I originally negotiated great financial terms of the deal with the prior GSM of the dealership who has now moved up in the company and is in the process of opening a Jaguar LAndRover dealership down the street from the BMW store. I contacted him and he said he would look into it next week because he is out of town this weekend.

Folks, I believe they are not contractually bound to sell me the car, at least I dont think they are. However this is slimy, unprofessional, ugly behavior. IT feels to me they are just screwing me because they can make more money from another buyer.

Options for resolution:

Complain to BMW corporate. Anyone have any ideas which Executive at BMW corporate I could contact that can actually make something happen?

Turn to social media and share my experience.

Any more suggestions you guys have would be more than welcome!

Thanks a ton for reading this and helping with any input!
I would escalate it to BMW NA. If you don't get anywhere with them I would file a complaint with Better Business Bureau (BBB).

If you still don't get satisfaction then I would take your complaints to the internet and every possible outlet to spread the word that you were treated like crap and BMW took the car you ordered away from you with no justification.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #4
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Fellow Oregonian here!
Go to corporate first and if that resolves nothing, let them know you'll be contacting the AG. That usually gets dealership's attention fairly quickly. Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 02:31 AM   #5
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I believe if you financed the vehicle they have a right to cancel the contract. They can just say your financing was rejected.

I don't know that you have much legal rights here given that they returned your cc deposit and you have no loss/ damages.

Best option may just be social media to encourage others not to buy from them given their lack of commitment and integrity.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #6
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

Looks like Arizona has some sales tax on the vehicles purchased by nonresidents. This is probably why they are saying if you don't pay that tax you cant buy the car. There is really nothing they can do about this as it is a state tax issue.

https://azdor.gov/news-events-notice...s-nonresidents

Last edited by malba2366; 01-24-2021 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
Chai Five
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Looks like Arizona has some sales tax on the vehicles purchased by nonresidents. This is probably why they are saying if you don't pay that tax you cant buy the car. There is really nothing they can do about this as it is a state tax issue.

https://azdor.gov/news-events-notice...s-nonresidents
Malba, this is when you purchase a vehicle in state, take posession in-state and you are from out of state. In my case Im out of state and getting a car shipped, out of state and thus not taking posession in-state. So it would not apply. This was reviewed with the GSM at time of purchase.

Thanks to all who are offering their suggestions and guidance!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #8
Chai Five
United_States
Rep

Angry The saga continues!!!!

Good evening all. Get your popcorn, here is an update...

Just when you think it cant get worse.... How bout some salt for your wounds???

I reached out to the ex-GSM of Arrowhead BMW over the weekend when this occurred. He is the gentleman who sold me the car and took my deposit. I am, for all intents and purposes, his client. Since that time, he was promoted within the organization to become the GM of the Land Rover/Jaguar dealership down the street from BMW. He finally reported back to me over the last two days. Yes it took him that long to get back to me. But we wont question his excuses at this time, poor as they may be as you will see why it doesnt matter, below.

Today he reported to me that the BMW dealership alleged to him that I hung up the phone on the manager in anger, and that I cancelled the deal. Not only is this false and inaccurate but it shows they are now making a bad experience worse by attempting to placing the blame on me, the customer, with a bold faced lie so they "have some evidence or reason" to support their horrid decision.

This falsehood is not possible as I never spoke to any manager at the dealership, at all, whatsoever, at any time since the car arrived. All communications came through the sales persons personal cell phone because the many corporate numbers from the dealership are apparently blocked on my phone. I never hung up on the sales guy either. They are the ones who cancelled the deal on me or else this forum post wouldnt exist.

They are trying to throw me under the bus as if this is somehow my fault and then lying on top of it!!!! I replied to the ex GSM and of course, denied this and pointed out the lie.

He then wrote me back after 5 pm saying that he "misunderstood what the dealership told him" regarding the lie about me hanging up on them. ( Really? how can that even be communicated and misunderstood? Did they say they hung up on me and he misconstrue that?) He went on to type in this follow up email another lame excuse. He now says the dealership googled me and came up with an Arizona address. Why does this matter... because they are in so deep with their behavior and the lies that they need to find "something" to base their actions on. Having an AZ address would force me to pay AZ taxes or "something" more than 0 taxes.

Suffice it to say, the address they came up with was a UPS Store mailbox I had 20 years ago. Mind you, Im an existing OREGON registered BMW M8 lessee. They had already pulled my credit and been approved by BMW finance to purchase the vehicle, and had my Oregon drivers license and insurance in hand.

Now... when is it standard operating procedure to google a purchaser after being approved by BMW financial?

When is anything on the internet truthful, accurate or timely?

When has finding something on the internet a basis for not selling someone a car?

LAME... LAME... LAME, weasel like excuses.

The other bomb he dropped... and this is the kicker!!! was that the car has ALREADY BEEN SOLD and he cant help me. Go figure. He took several days to "help me out" only to find in 4 days time it took to help me out, the car has magically been sold before he could help me.... fyi there are a couple other X7 M50i's that have been sitting on the lot.

In the end, all he did was try and cover for his buddies at the dealership by buying time. Then provide weak excuse after weak excuse that he should know, are all hollow, to justify why they cancelled the deal with me.

What I have done:

I have made a complaint with Corporate. In fact, I had to update the complaint as these events took place over the course of the day. Customer support says this is the first they ever heard of such an experience.... for whatever that is worth. I still have not been contacted by any manager or GM from the dealership. The Customer support team says they have put the complaint in the "escalation team's" queue and someone should contact me from there. But could offer me no guarantees or clarity on when or if they will.

How does this smell to you folks now? Any chance my original beliefs were correct about greed ruling the day? But to actually lie and claim its my fault is utterly disgusting. So... Im still open for suggestions beyond slaying them on all the review sites.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai Five View Post
The other bomb he dropped... and this is the kicker!!! was that the car has ALREADY BEEN SOLD and he cant help me.
Honestly, this does not surprise me at all.

This was my first suspicion when I read your initial post and how great the deal was for you. They probably had your vehicle on the lot and/or inventory website and somebody was willing to pay more than you, making it a better deal for THEM.

Should this happen? Heck, no!

In fact, when my vehicle was on my dealer's lot in Tampa, I was told by my SA that a famous player from Tampa Bay Lightning wanted to purchase my X7. I'm pretty sure he would have been willing to pay more than me but my dealer told him it was sold.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I can't comment on the situation bc it would be unfair without me knowing all the sides of the story however I can say that my guys especially Jimmy Miller sell out of state all the time, multiple times a month mostly to forum members. Its a pretty seamless process.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
Chai Five
United_States
Rep

Thanks again for all the interest. small update. I posted the review/warning on the BMW USA and Arrowhead BMW facebook page as a test. It took approximately 3 minutes for those posts to get removed...lol. However I have also posted at Cars.com, dealerator, yelp etc. Oh and its been 3 days... still no word from Corporate regarding my summited customer complaint. Ill keep everyone in the loop. I would however like to offer my sincere thanks to the sales people and managers who have reached out to me and offered to sell me an X7!
To be continued...
Appreciate 1
rkx3m40i176.50