European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Narcosis
The dude abides
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

Intercooler upgrade

For those who've gone down the mod path, at what point did IATs rise to the "I need to replace the IC and/or heat exchanger", modification wise? What level of modification were you at when the IC / H.E. was the next logical step? And when you upgraded, did you do the IC only, heat exchanger only, or both?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
johnnyredgtr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC

I upgraded both, front CSF HE and top mount. I live in a tropical island, temps are 90 to 95* , I'm at 677whp right now.

Last edited by johnnyredgtr; 08-25-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyredgtr View Post
I upgraded both, front VSF HE and top mount. I live in a tropical island, temps are 90 to 95* , I'm at 677whp right now.
You mean CSF? It almost looks like you spelled VRSF.

I’m CSF top mount with Dinan heat exchanger. Temps dropped so much so far. Will log IAT’s very soon
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
johnnyredgtr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post

I’m CSF top mount with Dinan heat exchanger. Temps dropped so much so far. Will log IAT’s very soon
Upss...sorry, yeah my front heat exchanger is CSF....my bad
Thanks for letting me know my typo error.
      08-25-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyredgtr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post

Upss...sorry, yeah my front heat exchanger is CSF....my bad
Thanks for letting me know my typo error.
No problem, haven't heard anything good about the VRSF top mount except the vendors selling them. Not something that's worth trying
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

I'm running the Phoenix intercooler on our M4 and M2... It's not perfect but it's pretty good for the price. Better than the other options I've seen IMHO. Only issue I noticed was one of the bracket holes didn't line up perfectly but there are 3 bolts so I just used 2 of them.

Cooling wise my IAT looks a lot better during sustained runs but I haven't done good back to back testing yet to really prove it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We are running CSF front heat exchanger and top mount cooler on the shop's M4. Its handling the Vegas heat very well .

We also carry Wagner, VRSF, Agency Power,etc...

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
Narcosis
The dude abides
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. Might anyone have log data, especially before and after? And/or something like "I had to upgrade because my IATs were over XXX deg after back to back runs"?

I'm putting my upgrade path together, for both performance and financial planning.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 12:02 AM   #9
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcosis View Post
Thanks guys. Might anyone have log data, especially before and after? And/or something like "I had to upgrade because my IATs were over XXX deg after back to back runs"?

I'm putting my upgrade path together, for both performance and financial planning.
This topic has been beaten to death insofar as people asking for log data are concerned. Everyone says they will have logs or posts when they install the inter-cooler or charge cooler but end up disappearing after that. Or some manufacturers will post that they have sold tons of it when request for log data is requested. My take is that the price outweighs the gains (if any) of these 2 mods either individually or collectively to the point why there is no log data to date. I have seen 1 or 2 dynos of IAT temps but they seem extremely skewed and the baselines were not consistent.

I say save the money until there is really credible data to show otherwise. BMW has really done a good job on cooling and while there might be some instances of the charge coolers leaking, it seems pretty isolated. You are better off spending this good money on something else.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|

Last edited by satinghostrider; 08-28-2019 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
tom @ eas8311.50
      08-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #10
Narcosis
The dude abides
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just have to start logging once my warranty is up & the modding begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinghostrider View Post
This topic has been beaten to death insofar as people asking for log data are concerned. Everyone says they will have logs or posts when they install the inter-cooler or charge cooler but end up disappearing after that. Or some manufacturers will post that they have sold tons of it when request for log data is requested. My take is that the price outweighs the gains (if any) of these 2 mods either individually or collectively to the point why there is no log data to date. I have seen 1 or 2 dynos of IAT temps but they seem extremely skewed and the baselines were not consistent.

I say save the money until there is really credible data to show otherwise. BMW has really done a good job on cooling and while there might be some instances of the charge coolers leaking, it seems pretty isolated. You are better off spending this good money on something else.
Appreciate 1