E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > After a custom MHD tune in 1 Week (sat 28th Jan)

01-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
aaron_
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 335i LCI

After a custom MHD tune in 1 Week (sat 28th Jan)

As the title states, I'm after a custom mhd flash for my N55. Getting a catless downpipe installed (and oil change) next sat so will be ready for the custom tune after that

Could the people who have had a custom mhd flash done already post up who did it, how many revisions it took to provide a good healthy power output and safe log, what they found the advantage of custom over ots was and anything else about the experience that would be beneficial?

Could the providers pm me or post here what the process involves, how much, and when they can do it?

I'd like to have all the details sorted and payment done pre install of dp so there's no hold up on the tune

Cars mods/ relevant maintenance is:
-Vrsf 7" fmic + lower charge pipe upgrade
-ER cp
-Gfb dv+
-Remus axle back race quad exhaust
-Mid pipe is oem and will have a 200cel hfc installed - move blockage further away from turbo to reduce egt) and prevent catless smell which I'd hate in my e93
-Vrsf cast catless dp (install in 1 week)
-Afe magnumforce stage 2 si intake (http://afepower.com/afe-power-54-819...-intake-system) - this intake currently produces air mass and flow rate implausible codes or something like that, will the custom tune be able to rescale the maf so I can use this intake?(as I've had to uninstall it -rough idle etc and would love to use it)
-Recent oem plugs and coil change
-All fluid and filters changed 10000km ago (other than transmission and fuel)
-New boost solenoid and vacuum lines i.e. No boost leaks currently :-)

Please note I live in Australia and will need a 98ron (ie equal to your 93oct) map. Have no desire to mix ethanol or add meth currently

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:07 AM   #2
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Have you taken care of the prerequisites ?

Requirements for MHD

1. Checked your vehicle for: MEVD1726 DME (built dating from around 03-2012) need a once time DME removal and bench flash to allow OBD flashing. This will stop you from going forward

2. Purchased the required hardware:
- 1 device running Android 3.2 and up, USB OTG compatible.
- 1 K+Dcan cable. See page 5 of the user manual for a recommended
- 1 USB OTG cable.

3. Installed:
- Flasher module: $199
- Monitor module: $69
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:52 AM   #3
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Yep! Have all the hardware, already using the logging module and build date is pre 3/2012
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Wedge created my custom MHD tune and it only took about 6 revisions to get it dialed in. Logs looked good from v1.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Twisted Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I've done custom tuning for numerous people on and off the boards. So whether or not they will see this thread and post about it, I'm not sure. There are reviews on my facebook, and plenty of word of mouth in the air though. But i custom tune a slew of makes and models from Ford, Porsche, Volvo to Nissan to BMW, to Subaru and Mazda and the list goes on.

I've never been a one brand type of business because i love all cars and the experience helps tons. You'd be surprised just how much stuff is the same between different brands.

Anyway, for the process of Custom tuning its quite simple as half of the battle im sure you already do. Which is datalogging. The more consistent your logs are and the better you take specific logs the way i ask, the fast the turnaround and process can be finished.

For me when we start the custom tuning process i require the Full VIN, and vehicle modification information. More importantly which MAP sensor upgrade is being used. Along with exact trans type, and if 6AT is it Alpina flashed. And also if the vehicle is an X-Drive.

Once i have that information, i will create your initial Base tune file and email it along with detailed instructions of how i need the logs and exactly what parameters i need logged to make things easy for you. If i need anything more specific i will let you know.

Custom tunes will always benefit a car more in terms of gains and etc. due to the nature of OTS tunes.

EDIT: here's a thread.... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340205
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
A picture tells the story.

This log is from a stock turbo X5 in Brazil I tuned. This is the final revision.

Fuel is 95oct E25 pump gas, thus the higher timing level. Bottom line, I personally own a 2012 135i MSport DCT and my main goal with tuning this car is smooth consistent driveable power and a smile.

Regardless of who you decided to tune with, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Appreciate 1
      01-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@MHD View Post
I've done custom tuning for numerous people on and off the boards. So whether or not they will see this thread and post about it, I'm not sure. There are reviews on my facebook, and plenty of word of mouth in the air though. But i custom tune a slew of makes and models from Ford, Porsche, Volvo to Nissan to BMW, to Subaru and Mazda and the list goes on.

I've never been a one brand type of business because i love all cars and the experience helps tons. You'd be surprised just how much stuff is the same between different brands.

Anyway, for the process of Custom tuning its quite simple as half of the battle im sure you already do. Which is datalogging. The more consistent your logs are and the better you take specific logs the way i ask, the fast the turnaround and process can be finished.

For me when we start the custom tuning process i require the Full VIN, and vehicle modification information. More importantly which MAP sensor upgrade is being used. Along with exact trans type, and if 6AT is it Alpina flashed. And also if the vehicle is an X-Drive.

Once i have that information, i will create your initial Base tune file and email it along with detailed instructions of how i need the logs and exactly what parameters i need logged to make things easy for you. If i need anything more specific i will let you know.

Custom tunes will always benefit a car more in terms of gains and etc. due to the nature of OTS tunes.

EDIT: here's a thread.... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340205
Thanks for the info

How do I know which MAP sensor I have?
I'm a dct RWD - don't have Alaina flash.

Will my afe intake that I want to reinstall and use cause any issues? Or will the maf be able to be rescaled to accommodate?

I will reinstall it today, get some logs and codes so you can see what you're up against.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
A picture tells the story.

This log is from a stock turbo X5 in Brazil I tuned. This is the final revision.

Fuel is 95oct E25 pump gas, thus the higher timing level. Bottom line, I personally own a 2012 135i MSport DCT and my main goal with tuning this car is smooth consistent driveable power and a smile.

Regardless of who you decided to tune with, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the info and email. Have some googling to do now!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
Twisted Tuning
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ View Post
Thanks for the info

How do I know which MAP sensor I have?
I'm a dct RWD - don't have Alaina flash.

Will my afe intake that I want to reinstall and use cause any issues? Or will the maf be able to be rescaled to accommodate?

I will reinstall it today, get some logs and codes so you can see what you're up against.
You could simply tell by checking the part number. Or if you're the only owner of the car, and you know you didn't upgrade, then you probably have the stock sensor.

Also, if the car isn't programmed for the higher Bar map sensor it would throw codes and run wonky.

Your AFE intake will not cause any issue whatsoever on the car. Possibly back with Cobb it may have due to there not being any kind of MAF calibration tables. But those tables are one of the first needed tables we uncovered for these DME's because its needed for a properly running car. So absolutely you can run your intake and i can calibrate it in your tune.

We're you getting codes running the intake? Ran the intake with no tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You could simply tell by checking the part number. Or if you're the only owner of the car, and you know you didn't upgrade, then you probably have the stock sensor.

Also, if the car isn't programmed for the higher Bar map sensor it would throw codes and run wonky.

Your AFE intake will not cause any issue whatsoever on the car. Possibly back with Cobb it may have due to there not being any kind of MAF calibration tables. But those tables are one of the first needed tables we uncovered for these DME's because its needed for a properly running car. So absolutely you can run your intake and i can calibrate it in your tune.

We're you getting codes running the intake? Ran the intake with no tune?
I'm the second owner, and the car was stock (or appeared to be) when I bought it - didn't seem like the tuning kind of person.

Great! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. How do we proceed with the tune?

I got codes running the intake without a tune - air mass and air flow. I'll find the thread I posted to get the exact codes
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
Mikaeldarer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i N55

Quote:

Justin has been working on a couple custom tunes for me and I have no complaints. He always answers emails quickly and gives a breakdown of what changes he is making on each revision. On E50 tune which we are currently working on. Car is holding around 2 more lbs of boost to redline and making about 50 more wtq(virtual dyno) compared to JB4.
      01-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it !
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #13
N55Jamaican
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGCubana View Post
Have you taken care of the prerequisites ?

Requirements for MHD

1. Checked your vehicle for: MEVD1726 DME (built dating from around 03-2012) need a once time DME removal and bench flash to allow OBD flashing. This will stop you from going forward

2. Purchased the required hardware:
- 1 device running Android 3.2 and up, USB OTG compatible.
- 1 K+Dcan cable. See page 5 of the user manual for a recommended
- 1 USB OTG cable.

3. Installed:
- Flasher module: $199
- Monitor module: $69
What's the fastest way to know my DME version?
      01-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #14
Twisted Tuning
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm the second owner, and the car was stock (or appeared to be) when I bought it - didn't seem like the tuning kind of person.

Great! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. How do we proceed with the tune?

I got codes running the intake without a tune - air mass and air flow. I'll find the thread I posted to get the exact codes

Probably stock. Most people don't upgrade TMAP on stock turbo. I'm actually very curious to see just how far off that intake causes the car to be in stock form. Amy chance you could take some logs for me?

For the tune: www.twistedtuning.com/mhd-flasher

Then email or PM me your Full VIN. But yes, definitely curious about how far off the car is with that intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaeldarer View Post
Justin has been working on a couple custom tunes for me and I have no complaints. He always answers emails quickly and gives a breakdown of what changes he is making on each revision. On E50 tune which we are currently working on. Car is holding around 2 more lbs of boost to redline and making about 50 more wtq(virtual dyno) compared to JB4.

Thanks bud. Glad you're enjoying it. And happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55Jamaican View Post
Your sig says you have an AP3. The AP should be able to Identify what ROM you have.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 01:57 AM   #15
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Probably stock. Most people don't upgrade TMAP on stock turbo. I'm actually very curious to see just how far off that intake causes the car to be in stock form. Amy chance you could take some logs for me?

Then email or PM me your Full VIN. But yes, definitely curious about how far off the car is with that intake.
I just installed the afe intake and cleaned the MAF. Let the car get to temp and did some logs. First two links have three logs per link. Last link is only one log

I screwed up a couple of the logs. I'm sure you will be able to tell the difference between issue and me not coordinating properly.

Remember car is ppk (flashed by joe@topgearsolutions)

http://www.datazap.me/u/aaron/3-logs...og=0&data=4-18
http://www.datazap.me/u/aaron/anothe...og=0&data=4-18
http://www.datazap.me/u/aaron/last-o...lo=4&mark=2-64

Last edited by aaron_; 01-22-2017 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #16
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Quote:

should be able to Identify what ROM you have.
Justin, please have a look at post/logs above. That's intake on ppk. How does it look?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #17
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Also just read codes. Car is driving and idling well but have error code 28A0 - throttle valve angle - intake manifold pressure correlation - limit value exceeded

Is that just because the intake is pumping 20% more air into the engine? Rescale maf to see the increase flow as normal and all fixed?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #18
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Also just read codes. Car is driving and idling well but have error code 28A0 - throttle valve angle - intake manifold pressure correlation - limit value exceeded

Is that just because the intake is pumping 20% more air into the engine? Rescale maf to see the increase flow as normal and all fixed?
Are you on the latest MHD version? Have you flashed MHD yet or not

That looks similar to what i was getting and the latest version fixed it.
      01-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #19
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Are you on the latest MHD version? Have you flashed MHD yet or not

That looks similar to what i was getting and the latest version fixed it.
Only ppk for now.

Downpipe goes in on sat. Custom mhd straight after
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #20
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55Jamaican View Post
Go to the link in my post, that you quoted; it leads you to the directions.
Appreciate 0