BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Almost new here.

05-30-2022, 10:55 PM   #1
bbadillo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Black 135i, JB+

Almost new here.

Hello all!

Been looking to buy a used m2 17-18. I am coming from a good history. 135i m240i and x3m40. I found a couple decent cars available in California. I am just scared slightly to pull the trigger. I test drove one today and it didn’t feel as quick I was hoping for. I wonder if I just set my expectations too high. Or maybe my x3 m40 with a b58 that I got rid of was just that quick. I tunes my m240 and that felt slightly quicker too. That makes sense and I am ok with it because I plan on tuning this car too. Do many of you tune your m2 or leave it stock? Would you think it’s worth getting the m2 comp over just a m2 and tune in it? I ask especially now because there is a solid 15-20k price difference. With the current market. I even called for a new m240. And it had a 51k sticker going for 72. That is crazy !
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      05-31-2022, 02:01 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Well I had an OG M2 back then and got the M2 Comp....irl power/speed: there is not so much difference stock vs stock. But the tunability(just via iPhone, MHD in my case) of the latter is incredible.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
AndyinHou479.00
      05-31-2022, 08:09 AM   #3
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadillo View Post
Hello all!

Been looking to buy a used m2 17-18. I am coming from a good history. 135i m240i and x3m40. I found a couple decent cars available in California. I am just scared slightly to pull the trigger. I test drove one today and it didn’t feel as quick I was hoping for. I wonder if I just set my expectations too high. Or maybe my x3 m40 with a b58 that I got rid of was just that quick. I tunes my m240 and that felt slightly quicker too. That makes sense and I am ok with it because I plan on tuning this car too. Do many of you tune your m2 or leave it stock? Would you think it’s worth getting the m2 comp over just a m2 and tune in it? I ask especially now because there is a solid 15-20k price difference. With the current market. I even called for a new m240. And it had a 51k sticker going for 72. That is crazy !
Almost welcome!

At the end of the day its your decision but I'd like to mention 2 points.
1. The M2 is not much about straight line speed or acceleration but everything else (corners, driving feel and more). If your goal is to feel fast or win red light races, this is not the car for you. A B58 car would serve you better there. The power to weight ratio for OG and C are both more than enough on the street and suitable for the track.

2. Back to power to weight ratio, there's a reason the OG and C feel almost identical when it comes to acceleration. The C added about 150lbs to the car. It's slightly more powerful but it's also definitively heavier.

The M2C does have more tuning headroom than the OGM2 so that's something to think about if you plan to go that route.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3903.50
      05-31-2022, 11:13 AM   #4
bbadillo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG///M View Post
Almost welcome!

At the end of the day its your decision but I'd like to mention 2 points.
1. The M2 is not much about straight line speed or acceleration but everything else (corners, driving feel and more). If your goal is to feel fast or win red light races, this is not the car for you. A B58 car would serve you better there. The power to weight ratio for OG and C are both more than enough on the street and suitable for the track.

2. Back to power to weight ratio, there's a reason the OG and C feel almost identical when it comes to acceleration. The C added about 150lbs to the car. It's slightly more powerful but it's also definitively heavier.

The M2C does have more tuning headroom than the OGM2 so that's something to think about if you plan to go that route.

Interesting. I didn’t know it was heavier. I am not looking for a quarter mile king. I love the idea of tracking once a year and maybe doing some nice drives me just hugging the road and zipping around.

I think I made up my mind that either would be great. I just need to find the car. They are slim pickings. And the disparity in price between the two is a lot. I think if I can find a 2018 m2. I would be sold. Just need to get lucky now. Haha
Appreciate 1
djacinto373.00
      05-31-2022, 03:00 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Hello all!

The n55 just isn't better than the b58. If you're hoping for straight line speed you'll need an m2c that's model year 2019 or early 2020 so it can be flash tuned.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      06-01-2022, 03:02 AM   #6
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

One of many great reviews on the OG M2.
Jason Cammisa on the BMW M2 (F87) — Vintage Motor Trend Ignition Full Episode 149
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 04:54 AM   #7
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Interesting. I didn’t know it was heavier.
Comp is irl just as heavy as a CS and/ but easily VERY tunable if you have a model built before 6(?)/2020 as akkando stated above. M2 N55 headroom is pretty limited unfortunately or you have to change the hardware....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 08:13 AM   #8
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Interesting. I didn’t know it was heavier. I am not looking for a quarter mile king. I love the idea of tracking once a year and maybe doing some nice drives me just hugging the road and zipping around.

I think I made up my mind that either would be great. I just need to find the car. They are slim pickings. And the disparity in price between the two is a lot. I think if I can find a 2018 m2. I would be sold. Just need to get lucky now. Haha
If that's the case, either car should suit you well. Happy hunting.

Personally, I prefer the lighter and more front/rear balanced version.
Then again, I've always felt the stock power/torque from the N55B30T0 is just right for the chassis.

As others have said, if the plan is to tune, definitely get the S55 or a B58 car.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #9
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I am currently in the exact same place and I also come from the same history: '05 330ci ZHP, '11 E90 335i w/Power Kit (N55), '13 335is (N54T) and currently F30 340i (B58). That being said, all of my cars had modified suspensions but NO engine mods aside from an M Performance Exhaust on my 340i. But I am looking for (and I think I found one) an M2. Limited by budget so I'm leaning toward the '16-'17.

I have driven two M2's, both '18, one a 6spd Manual and one DCT. I prefer the DCT myself only because I do a lot of highway miles and I like having the 7th Gear of the DCT. But I have no intention of messing with the engine at all but I will prob install lowered springs since handling is much more important to me than straight line acceleration.

I completely agree with OG///M in the sense that if you want to mod the motor, you'd be better served going with the '19+ M2. I LOVE that B58 motor and wish they had put THAT into the M2, but since I'm familiar with the N55, I understand exactly what you're referring to in the way it feels. I think what you are feeling is that the motor is SOOOOO Linear, that you aren't feeling that SURGE like you feel with the N54 or the B58. I noticed that immediately, but that is kinda what I like about it. No surprises and you can focus the M2 more on the curves and feel of the car w/out worrying about the car trying to kill you (like an M3/M4). Since the M2 I get will be a Canyon Runner, I think the M2 will fit the bill PERFECTLY. It still has plenty of power to weight but the handling is TOP NOTCH.

As far as finding one, if you'd like, PM me and I can give you a few leads if you let me know your preferences/parameters since I"ve been looking at M2's for over a month now. There are a couple here in my area that have 20K and in magnificent condition, but unfortunately, they're just out of my reach budget-wise (and they don't have the specs I want).
      06-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #10
bbadillo
Private First Class
Rep

Hey all. Guess what signing my paper work today. It was a tough choice and difficult to locate one. But getting a 2020 m2 used with 40k. Mileage isn’t ideal but also a low mileage 19+ and even an 18 with under 10-15k is just outside of my budget. I am in Southern California so prices are as good as some I found in arizona or Oregon but I am super hesitant to fly up or drive because I’m the kind of person to has to test and see it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 06:17 PM   #11
bbadillo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
I am currently in the exact same place and I also come from the same history: '05 330ci ZHP, '11 E90 335i w/Power Kit (N55), '13 335is (N54T) and currently F30 340i (B58). That being said, all of my cars had modified suspensions but NO engine mods aside from an M Performance Exhaust on my 340i. But I am looking for (and I think I found one) an M2. Limited by budget so I'm leaning toward the '16-'17.

I have driven two M2's, both '18, one a 6spd Manual and one DCT. I prefer the DCT myself only because I do a lot of highway miles and I like having the 7th Gear of the DCT. But I have no intention of messing with the engine at all but I will prob install lowered springs since handling is much more important to me than straight line acceleration.

I completely agree with OG///M in the sense that if you want to mod the motor, you'd be better served going with the '19+ M2. I LOVE that B58 motor and wish they had put THAT into the M2, but since I'm familiar with the N55, I understand exactly what you're referring to in the way it feels. I think what you are feeling is that the motor is SOOOOO Linear, that you aren't feeling that SURGE like you feel with the N54 or the B58. I noticed that immediately, but that is kinda what I like about it. No surprises and you can focus the M2 more on the curves and feel of the car w/out worrying about the car trying to kill you (like an M3/M4). Since the M2 I get will be a Canyon Runner, I think the M2 will fit the bill PERFECTLY. It still has plenty of power to weight but the handling is TOP NOTCH.

As far as finding one, if you'd like, PM me and I can give you a few leads if you let me know your preferences/parameters since I"ve been looking at M2's for over a month now. There are a couple here in my area that have 20K and in magnificent condition, but unfortunately, they're just out of my reach budget-wise (and they don't have the specs I want).
Wow that was a carbon copy of my search. Under 20 k miles and the price surge is crazy but understandable. I found one just within about a year of my driving range within the 50k/5 year. It’s super clean. I saw a 17 m2 locally with only 13k miles and it looked as if it went through hell. The bummer mostly that I’ll prob need new tires in about a year. That’s pricey but ok. They didn’t want to give me what I wanted for my trade in but it was super close. So it’s a slight wash on the price market being so high currently. I sold my truck as basically what I bought it for. Just losing on taxes and registration
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #12
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey all. Guess what signing my paper work today. It was a tough choice and difficult to locate one. But getting a 2020 m2 used with 40k. Mileage isn’t ideal but also a low mileage 19+ and even an 18 with under 10-15k is just outside of my budget. I am in Southern California so prices are as good as some I found in arizona or Oregon but I am super hesitant to fly up or drive because I’m the kind of person to has to test and see it.
Make sure you post up some pics when you get it home and comfortable!! I'm trying very hard not to get too excited about the prospect of being in an M2 by the end of the week (I tend to be pessimistic and always expect problems), but right now it's looking hopeful. Paperwork should be done today and if it is, I'll be heading up one day this week to pick it up. It will be a 3-4 hr drive home (and part of that is through the hills west of Kettleman, OH BOY!!!) so I'm hoping to be VERY acquainted with my M2 by the time I get home.

Congrats and wish me luck!!!
      06-17-2022, 05:55 PM   #13
luckky300
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2, 2022 BMW X5 40i

I stumbled on this at my local dealership Friday as they were taking it in on trade. 2018 30k miles has the MPE and the carbon fiber exhaust tips 6 speed. The former owner was a 30 year old nurse who used it as a daily. One of the lower priced units I saw on Autotrader and figured I couldn't go wrong. Just took it out for the first real drive with traction turned off and this car is impressive.

Last edited by luckky300; 06-17-2022 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: saving my new signature
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2022, 11:52 AM   #14
OG18M2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Congrats! I am a new M2 owner as well and went through the same thought process you did. I ended up with an '18 M2 6 speed and am loving it!
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2022, 04:27 PM   #15
Brigs91
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6sp

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG18M2 View Post
Congrats! I am a new M2 owner as well and went through the same thought process you did. I ended up with an '18 M2 6 speed and am loving it!
Congrats! I just picked up my 2018 M2 6sp too, last week. Love it so far. I was looking for awhile for a low mileage og in great shape and man did I find it! Just hit 20k on my drive home, and it’s in near brand new condition. Hard to find these not beat to shit!
Appreciate 2