F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > It's time for my first new set of tires!
ARMA SPEED

06-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
abstractmethod
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Coupe

Cool It's time for my first new set of tires!

I'm at around 27,000 miles on my 2012 328i (base 17" tires), and it looks like my ContiProContacts are nearing the end of their life.

I'm seriously considering staying with run-flats given that I'm not terribly performance-oriented (something quiet and lasts longer than the Contis are my only criteria.) That said, I've been looking at moving to the Primacy MXM4 ZP. Does anyone have any thoughts on this particular tire (or an alternative?)

I've also thought about ditching the run-flats and moving to the Pilot Sport A/S 3 or Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I just am worried about getting a flat and having no options, or damaging the car because it was designed for run-flats.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractmethod View Post
I'm at around 27,000 miles on my 2012 328i (base 17" tires), and it looks like my ContiProContacts are nearing the end of their life.

I'm seriously considering staying with run-flats given that I'm not terribly performance-oriented (something quiet and lasts longer than the Contis are my only criteria.) That said, I've been looking at moving to the Primacy MXM4 ZP. Does anyone have any thoughts on this particular tire (or an alternative?)

I've also thought about ditching the run-flats and moving to the Pilot Sport A/S 3 or Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I just am worried about getting a flat and having no options, or damaging the car because it was designed for run-flats.

Thanks!
I dont think u will damage the car if u ditch run flats. And wheb my tires wear out i will be moving to non run flat summers. Save money, quiet ride and i never got a flat in 3 years of getting my license so yeh no point.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

The car will not know the difference between RFT and non RFT. But you on the other hand will know the difference. Recently switched over to 403m wheels and decided to ditch the RFT's. Went with General Gmax's in 19inch. I absolutely love them. Car rides better and is much quieter than the horrible Good Year efficient grips I had on there. While I like what the RFT's offer in being able to ride on without stopping for a flat, IMHO, I think they just don't do a thing for this car. I had them on my 07 e90 335I and I got rid of them on that car too. Wound up picking a complete 5 series spare kit which fit the e90 perfectly. From what I am told the spare will work with the f30 too as long as you use a spacer to accommodate the bigger brakes. For now I have a can of fix a flat (TPMS safe).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
abstractmethod
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Coupe

Yeah I got a flat tire about a month after I bought my car. It sucked that the dealership was my only option for a tire (which they had to order, but I did get a loaner.) They acted like it was a pretty irritating that I was coming to them about my flat tire though

I really do kind of want to ditch the run flats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
I dont think u will damage the car if u ditch run flats. And wheb my tires wear out i will be moving to non run flat summers. Save money, quiet ride and i never got a flat in 3 years of getting my license so yeh no point.

Last edited by abstractmethod; 06-09-2013 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0