F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension upgrade for No-Line 320i?
ARMA SPEED

10-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Suspension upgrade for No-Line 320i?

Hi. I got a used 2014 320i no-line for daily driving and I'm trying to figure out how to improve the ride quality. At the moment it's both harsh and floaty. I'll get some non-runflats AS3+ to replace the runflats but I'm trying to get a firmer suspension. My goal is to get somewhat close to OEM sports suspension.

However, I have to drive into SF everyday with really shitty road/potholes and traffic so I'm not looking for something too harsh.

I'm looking at 3 things that could help improve my drive:

B4 Shocks/Struts Kit
B6 Shocks/Struts Kit
H&R Springs

I'm not sure which one would help the most while not making the ride too harsh. Any suggestions? I kind of also don't want to get the H&R Springs yet because that 1.5 inch lower might be too much. I would much prefer to be able to solve it with just shocks/struts. If there are any springs that lower less I would love suggestions too.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpxchewy View Post
Hi. I got a used 2014 320i no-line for daily driving and I'm trying to figure out how to improve the ride quality. At the moment it's both harsh and floaty. I'll get some non-runflats AS3+ to replace the runflats but I'm trying to get a firmer suspension. My goal is to get somewhat close to OEM sports suspension.

However, I have to drive into SF everyday with really shitty road/potholes and traffic so I'm not looking for something too harsh.

I'm looking at 3 things that could help improve my drive:

B4 Shocks/Struts Kit
B6 Shocks/Struts Kit
H&R Springs

I'm not sure which one would help the most while not making the ride too harsh. Any suggestions? I kind of also don't want to get the H&R Springs yet because that 1.5 inch lower might be too much. I would much prefer to be able to solve it with just shocks/struts. If there are any springs that lower less I would love suggestions too.

Thanks!

getting rid of run flats is defiantly good first step, i'm running BC racing coilovers and they are amazing fully adjustable (i got mine set to very stiff). Also my friend running H&R springs and ride quality is worse than stock ...imo..
      10-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What's your budget for the suspension upgrade? Bilstein or KW coilovers - either one will provide exceptional daily driver handling. I suggest to start with Bilstein PSS10
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
js 84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320d

Hi I upgraded my stock shocks to Bilstein B6 shocks and rear anti roll bar from M235. The result is really great. The car is not too stiff and handles much better. Had this combo for 6 months and still think this was the best upgrade, should have done it earlier
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 05:22 AM   #5
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domotron View Post
getting rid of run flats is defiantly good first step, i'm running BC racing coilovers and they are amazing fully adjustable (i got mine set to very stiff). Also my friend running H&R springs and ride quality is worse than stock ...imo..
Thanks for the insight! I'm surprised H&R Springs would lower ride quality, but it's definitely not something I would consider off the bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
What's your budget for the suspension upgrade? Bilstein or KW coilovers - either one will provide exceptional daily driver handling. I suggest to start with Bilstein PSS10
Sadly not too much. Coilovers are too expensive considering my mod budget for this car is 2k with tires, headlights, and shocks/struts/springs. I figured 700 on tires, 600 on the Depo angel eyes retrofit lights, and 700 on shocks/struts would put me at exactly 2k. From what it seems the B6 fits my budget perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js 84 View Post
Hi I upgraded my stock shocks to Bilstein B6 shocks and rear anti roll bar from M235. The result is really great. The car is not too stiff and handles much better. Had this combo for 6 months and still think this was the best upgrade, should have done it earlier
Great! I'm definitely leaning towards a set of B6. I would do anti roll bars but from the DIY section they seem extremely hard to do just in your own garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Bilstein B6

Thats the route Ill be going when Im ready.
Appreciate 0