BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Aftermarket tow hitch on 2021 X7

05-04-2024, 09:02 PM   #45
Kostyan
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46, e70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
yeah, its always cheaper from the factory. the cost deltas for the parts are minimal and you are substituting, not replacing.

the stealth hitch is 700 but does not include the install or the wiring. figure the install will cost another 500-700. and thats for the bike rack only hitch, for wiring its more. the stealth hitch doesnt need a new bumper cover as it attaches from underneath. you just cut a big hole in one of the existing underbody panels.

for a factory hitch, you need a new bumper cover and trim (in addition to the hitch parts) which needs to be painted. basically a bumper replacement. you're tossing the original bumper and the subreinforcement thats replaced by the hitch.
Guys i am looking to find a way to retrofit OEM BMW hitch into a 2021-2022 x7 xdrive40 with m-sport package, before buying a car. Bmw sells retrofit kit, part number 51-12-9-850-003, however, according to BMWparts.com, this can be used only for produ tion dates up to 08/2020. I need my hitch for
Towing and believe in going the factory route. Has anyone had experience retrofitting OEM hitch into 09/2020 or later production date cars?

Btw I suspect x5 hitch retrofitting is different than on x7. I suspect BMW made a lot more difficult with x7, forcing unsuspecting folks getting talen advantage of at a local friendly BMW dealer.

Has BMW equipped X7s with towing prep package that includes transmission oil cooler, beefier alternator, and prewiring, but no actual hitch? If yes, would you please share that option alphanumeric number? l
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 11:34 AM   #46
Madsen203
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

FYI: stealth hitch has a promo this week for free shipping (equal to about 10% off).
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 05:02 PM   #47
Madsen203
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just finished installing Stealth Hitch receiver for the X7. Took 3 hours - most of the time was spent trying to gently remove the wheel well trim with crappy trim tools and drinking coffee.

Did not install trailer lighting as honestly, I don’t tow much, it was $4-800 more, and I didn’t want to mess with BMW wiring that is already susceptible to electrical issues long term. I have a Model Y with a hitch that I use to tow a harbor freight trailer when we need to move stuff around town.

The hitch install was really easy and straight forward. I am quite happy with the result. I didn’t trim as much as it suggested to minimize the open look in the rear. I also spray painted with high heat paint the exhaust shields that were visible as per another users recommendation.

Having done it once, I could probably knock this out in <2 hours doing it again. There was a great YouTube video we followed along with which added confidence to the heavily detailed pictorial instructions included with the receiver.

Will put it to the test this week with my 1UP hitch rack and 50# eMTB.

I was able to secure the hitch for 20% off retail by way of military + free shipping combined discount.

Shop labor was $200/hr and quoted minimum 3 hours. It was quite an easy process all said and done so I’m glad I attempted it myself with the help of another for when it came time to mount the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 05:05 PM   #48
Madsen203
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
Just finished installing Stealth Hitch receiver for the X7. Took 3 hours - most of the time was spent trying to gently remove the wheel well trim with crappy trim tools and drinking coffee.

Did not install trailer lighting as honestly, I don’t tow much, it was $4-800 more, and I didn’t want to mess with BMW wiring that is already susceptible to electrical issues long term. I have a Model Y with a hitch that I use to tow a harbor freight trailer when we need to move stuff around town.

The hitch install was really easy and straight forward. I am quite happy with the result. I didn’t trim as much as it suggested to minimize the open look in the rear. I also spray painted with high heat paint the exhaust shields that were visible as per another users recommendation.

Having done it once, I could probably knock this out in <2 hours doing it again. There was a great YouTube video we followed along with which added confidence to the heavily detailed pictorial instructions included with the receiver.

Will put it to the test this week with my 1UP hitch rack and 50# eMTB.

I was able to secure the hitch for 20% off retail by way of military + free shipping combined discount.

Shop labor was $200/hr and quoted minimum 3 hours. It was quite an easy process all said and done so I’m glad I attempted it myself with the help of another for when it came time to mount the bumper.
Pic for reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0