forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum WiFi Hotspot

06-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #23
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

I suppose if BMW could/would support AAC for higher bit rate Bluetooth transmission, that would work well.

But Wi-Fi was definitely off in my car when I first paired the phone and selected wireless CarPlay - it worked but as noted sounded poor. I enabled Wi-Fi and disconnected and reconnected the phone at the end of the evening and will test after work today

The other issue may have been Sound Check was on in the Music settings - I find this adds distortion to a lot of tracks so I disabled it, but it seems Apple re-enables this afternoon all or certain software updates.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #24
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrangster View Post
I suppose if BMW could/would support AAC for higher bit rate Bluetooth transmission, that would work well.

But Wi-Fi was definitely off in my car when I first paired the phone and selected wireless CarPlay - it worked but as noted sounded poor. I enabled Wi-Fi and disconnected and reconnected the phone at the end of the evening and will test after work today

The other issue may have been Sound Check was on in the Music settings - I find this adds distortion to a lot of tracks so I disabled it, but it seems Apple re-enables this afternoon all or certain software updates.
CarPlay cannot function wirelessly without wi-fi, so it was enabled on your phone if you were connected to CarPlay. It is possible you were just connected to BMW's wireless audio instead.

There are two different systems allowing wireless music to play- Apple CarPlay (Bluetooth + Wifi) and BMW Audio (Bluetooth only).

The third is non-wireless which is BMW USB (port by cupholders).

*Note also that iOS 12 enables wi-fi when it needs it if you haven't actually turned it off. You must go into Settings > Wi-Fi to find the real 'off' switch. The one in Control Center (swipe from home screen) doesn't actually turn wi-fi off, it just suspends it until it's called upon by a third party device or app such as CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #25
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
CarPlay cannot function wirelessly without wi-fi, so it was enabled on your phone if you were connected to CarPlay. It is possible you were just connected to BMW's wireless audio instead.

There are two different systems allowing wireless music to play- Apple CarPlay (Bluetooth + Wifi) and BMW Audio (Bluetooth only).

*Note also that iOS 12 enables wi-fi when it needs it if you haven't actually turned it off. You must go into Settings > Wi-Fi to find the real 'off' switch. The one in Control Center (swipe from home screen) doesn't actually turn wi-fi off, it just suspends it until it's called upon by a third party device or app such as CarPlay.
No it was CarPlay and all I know is when I later went to the Wi-Fi screen in the x7, the Wi-Fi option was not ticked - perhaps it is done silently for CarPlay use...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #26
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrangster View Post
No it was CarPlay and all I know is when I later went to the Wi-Fi screen in the x7, the Wi-Fi option was not ticked - perhaps it is done silently for CarPlay use...
Any chance your iPhone was plugged into the USB port for the sake of charging the battery while you were doing the wireless setup?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #27
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Any chance your iPhone was plugged into the USB port for the sake of charging the battery while you were doing the wireless setup?
No - the genius and I were doing this during delivery so I hadn’t yet pulled out any cables (not anticipating a quality issue)
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1239.00
      06-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #28
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
There's no nice way to say this, so forgive me, but anyone who drives an X7 that either didn't negotiate his mobile contract properly or says he can't afford an unlimited data plan here in 2019.....

Call your carrier. Get a UDP. And that's the end of that. If you're with Verizon you may have a problem streaming and making a phone call at the same time, that used to be an issue with their technology, others may chime in on that point. AT&T and all other carriers are easy peasy. Flip one switch on your handset and multiple kids can stream multiple videos on their multiple devices, no BMW slow-tech hotspot needed.
I have a Verizon unlimited plan. No problems streaming multiple devices and making simultaneous phone calls.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #29
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I have a Verizon unlimited plan. No problems streaming multiple devices and making simultaneous phone calls.

Thanks for clarifying.

I put all 5 of my family's phones on the AT&T unlimited plan when it was released 18 months ago and couldn't be happier. My daughter's overages alone were costing me $30+ a month not to mention my son's on occasion. Now we don't worry about data usage at all.

When we travel in the X7, I take my wife's old iPad Air 2 which now belongs to my 7 year old, and tether it to one of our iPhone X's hotspot which gives him LTE speed to stream YouTube videos for 5+ hours. We use a plastic headrest mount and a pair of wired headphones, very lightweight and easy to manage.

Quite cost effective and very useful as, unlike the car-only solution, the hotspot travels with you wherever you go. I've tethered my MacBook to my iPhone X's hotspot in China instead of using terribly slow (and censored) hotel wi-fi for example, I've watched Sunday Night Football on a train in Tokyo that way too, all for less per month than the BMW offering.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #30
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:

Can you run Carplay over wire? Might with wireless connection woes until BMW can get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:24 PM   #31
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
Can you run Carplay over wire? Might with wireless connection woes until BMW can get it fixed.
One can in other vehicles, but in the X7 its only wireless.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #32
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
One can in other vehicles, but in the X7 its only wireless.
When pairing the iPhone gave the option of wireless or wired...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #33
ATX512
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx_77 View Post
Anyone also having trouble browsing the internet on there phone while using the Hotspot?
My WiFi signal is strong but but websites won't load.
Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Has this exact problem today. Happened to have my car at the dealership so I asked the genius. Not exactly sure why, but apparently if you’re using CarPlay your phone will not load web pages if you’re on the car WiFi. Didn’t have much time to ask why, but he basically unchecked a box in the settings and I was able to use my LTE WiFi on my phone and CarPlay at the same time.
Appreciate 1