BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum How good is active driving assistance?

08-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

How good is active driving assistance?

This is the one thing I really enjoyed in my XC90. It can be activated at low speed and just track the vehicle in the front and follow the roads.

I tested the Audi version and it felt like the vehicle ping pong back and forth too much.

On some cars, it doesn't work at low speeds. 25mph or above only.

How is it on the X7?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

In my opinion, it is not very good. I would say the “ping pong” thing you mention is a pretty good depiction of how it works. I do, however, enjoy the adaptive cruise. It works pretty well, and although we have not taken a very long trip in the car yet (scheduled to do so this weekend), I am hoping that it will go a long way in combating travel fatigue.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

After the last update, I feel is significantly better. The only time I ping pong is when an exit ramp lane isnt well marked so the car has a little difficulty finding the lane and then once the ramp lane ends it abruptly finds the lane of travel and ping pong a bit to recenter.

Also, lane changes now seem much smoother.

As far as low speed in congestion, absolutely perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #4
plumcrazy
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

i like it! default config gives it a ping pong - didn't like it at all - until - if you change the default settings to early lane keeping - it literally drives itself in the center of the road with just a finger barely touching the wheel no ping pong - even changes lanes automatically and fully drives itself under 40 mph
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
i like it! default config gives it a ping pong - didn't like it at all - until - if you change the default settings to early lane keeping - it literally drives itself in the center of the road with just a finger barely touching the wheel no ping pong - even changes lanes automatically and fully drives itself under 40 mph
Have you tested this at stop and go traffic. This really takes the stress out of traffic driving. I don't mean being stupid like a lot of tesla drivers but the ability to rest a finger on the stearing wheel and watch the road is nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
It's nowhere near as good as it was in my Tesla and, at 70mph, it was plain scary on curved sections of the freeway.

My 2019 had a software update a couple of weeks ago that made it markedly better, though.

I don't use it on the freeways at speed here in Seattle (just follow cruise) as they're too curvy. However, it's excellent in stop-and-go traffic, particularly freeway stop-and-go, as it'll go totally hands free and does a great job at slower speeds.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
It's nowhere near as good as it was in my Tesla and, at 70mph, it was plain scary on curved sections of the freeway.

My 2019 had a software update a couple of weeks ago that made it markedly better, though.

I don't use it on the freeways at speed here in Seattle (just follow cruise) as they're too curvy. However, it's excellent in stop-and-go traffic, particularly freeway stop-and-go, as it'll go totally hands free and does a great job at slower speeds.
Was that update OTA, or at the dealer?
If at the dealer, how did you know that there was an update available?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post

It makes perfect sense, Stop and go traffic is great but where I find it extremely useful is on strips of straight highly with minimal curves such as on i5 between NorCal and SoCal this is a long boring stretch of road. Having this work well makes a world of a difference when treking this road.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:17 PM   #9
Saabfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

My prior vehicle was a 2017 XC90. In my opinion the driver assist in the 2019 X7 is better. Especially on turns where the Volvo tended to understeer. I also appreciate how the BMW will resume driving automatically after a prolonged stop, unlike the Volvo which requires you to re-engage the system.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #10
plumcrazy
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post
Have you tested this at stop and go traffic. This really takes the stress out of traffic driving. I don't mean being stupid like a lot of tesla drivers but the ability to rest a finger on the stearing wheel and watch the road is nice.
Yea, love stop and go traffic! totally drives itself, comes to full stop, starts again without having to press anything, steers itself - takes the stress out of traffic.

tip - if you want it to automatically switch lanes for you, you have to hold down the turn signal - don't fully click it in, just push and hold to the point it starts flashing after a few seconds, it will then turn into the other lane automatically.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:36 AM   #11
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 G05 X5 M60i

Quote:
Quote:
By 'Lane Keeping', do you mean the 'Lane Departure Warning' setting?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:53 AM   #12
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
By 'Lane Keeping', do you mean the 'Lane Departure Warning' setting?
No, lane keeping is where it steers the car back into the lane or attempt to keep the vehicle in the lane while using assisted driving. Lane departure warning just gives you a warning if you cross a lane line above a certain speed which is 40mph I believe.
      08-17-2019, 04:02 AM   #13
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 G05 X5 M60i

Thanks. Where is this setting?

Last edited by marcosg; 08-17-2019 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #14
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Lane departure warning ON for me. Lane keeping assist is OFF. Simply put, not ready for prime time this cost/benefit not there
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #15
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosg View Post
Thanks. Where is this setting?
I believe it is in the drivers assistance settings.
      08-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #16
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Lane departure warning ON for me. Lane keeping assist is OFF. Simply put, not ready for prime time this cost/benefit not there
I haven't found much wrong with it. I have used it a ton on longer 2+ hour road trips. Love it.
      08-17-2019, 11:47 PM   #17
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
I haven't found much wrong with it. I have used it a ton on longer 2+ hour road trips. Love it.
I like that it gently keeps me in lanes. I don’t like that it may on occasions be confused and initiate an unnecessary evasive maneuver that puts me at risk. That’s one of those things that’s binary to me: if there’s any risk of that > 0 I can’t live with it on. I hear you tho
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #18
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I only use it when on a divided highway with little or no traffic. I never use it on secondary roads, to invasive for my liking.
Appreciate 1
jokinawa293.00
      08-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #19
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

OK, after this past weekend, and having had QUITE a bit more seat time with some practice time operating the systems, I can honestly say that my opinion on it has...improved. I made a change that someone up above suggested in the thread (setting Lane Keep Assist to “Early”), and that definitely seemed to help. The system has its uses. However, I would still say (and it should go without saying) that, let the driver beware. Not only will it make sure you are still paying attention every several seconds, but you MUST pay attention—especially on curvy sections of highway, or if there is traffic close on either side. I started switching back to manual control in either of those conditions. Also, it seems to be very sensitive to the condition that the road is in—i.e., it operates much better on roads where the lanes are more clearly marked. If conditions are right for using it, though, it is very nice to have.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #20
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabfan View Post
My prior vehicle was a 2017 XC90. In my opinion the driver assist in the 2019 X7 is better. Especially on turns where the Volvo tended to understeer. I also appreciate how the BMW will resume driving automatically after a prolonged stop, unlike the Volvo which requires you to re-engage the system.
Xc90 uses Mobileye Eye q3 processor with a single monovision camera.

X7 with the driver assistance package uses mobileye eye q4 processor and has a trifocal camera setup (3 cameras). It is an order of magnitude more powerful than the eye q3.

Eye q4 is capable of traffic light and traffic sign recognition, but not enabled on bmw currently. An software in the future could enable the features.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:35 PM   #21
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post

X7 with the driver assistance package uses mobileye eye q4 processor and has a trifocal camera setup (3 cameras). It is an order of magnitude more powerful than the eye q3.

Eye q4 is capable of traffic light and traffic sign recognition, but not enabled on BMW currently. An software in the future could enable the features.
Interesting. Looks like all other makers are shy to do anything like Teslas on their assistance systems.

I feel like most non-US auto-makers are followers/adapters instead of initiators over this technology. And who knows, once they adapt, they might introduce new features.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:58 PM   #22
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post

Eye q4 is capable of traffic light and traffic sign recognition, but not enabled on BMW currently. An software in the future could enable the features.
Interesting. Looks like all other makers are shy to do anything like Teslas on their assistance systems.

I feel like most non-US auto-makers are followers/adapters instead of initiators over this technology. And who knows, once they adapt, they might introduce new features.
Traditional automotive companies are all working on assist systems and autonomous vehicles. GM alone is spending $800m per year on it.

Tesla, does not want to be bound to the classic suppliers of processors so they have developed their own. If they want to move faster they can't use parts everybody else is using.

We will see who will move the fastest. Bmw wjll move to eyeq5 in 2021 and I expect x7 Lci to have it for 2022. They will add Lidar from innoviz through Magna and switch the compute system from ZF/TRW to Aptiv. Aptiv currently supplies Volvo and Audi their mobileye eye q3 systems.
Appreciate 0