08-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #45
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy4GC View Post
Thanks Jay, and thanks a lot BMW ...another subscription service? #nobodyelsechargesforapplecarplay. LOL
I paid one time when I bought my new M.

Worth every penny.
      08-20-2019, 01:23 AM   #46
NozzFest
Private
Rep
Drives: Pimped out Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
It is optional on X5, X7 and 7 Series. Rumor has it that it will become a paid app in the connected drive portal for cars with the Parking Assistamt package (360 cameras)
The BMW blog seemed to mention the G20/3-series as well. Hopefully it will be available on my new '20 G20 as a paid app, but it certainly wasn't a selectable option when I built it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #47
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i RWD

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Noticed it's in the g20 owners manual with detailed instructions about how to use it, with pictures. Hope that means it's on its way!
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
Fitzy4GC111.00
      08-23-2019, 01:36 AM   #48
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Isn’t a major drawback that the side and rear cameras will become very obscured with water when it’s raining and dirt in the winter?

My X5 rear camera is useful only half the year, in the winter it seems there is always something obscuring/covering the lens to some extent. With a rear installed dash cam you are more likely to get a better recording through the rear screen.

The same with the sides too. Sometimes I have to wind down the drivers window to wipe of a big drop of water from the door mirror camera before parking otherwise the 360 view is hopeless.

I presume the front is from the front cameras so will be within the swept area of the front screen so may be ok?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #49
Barrancos
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30D

I clean often my cameras just with mu finger and saliva...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #50
sumonc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

The drive recorder feature on the 2020 X7 does not actually work. I have a brand new 2020 X7 M50i and shows "Drive Recorder Malfunction" error when I try to activate it manually. I took it to the dealer who gave me a 2020 X7 40i as a loaner car and that too has exactly the same problem. After keeping my car for a week, BMW now says they do not have a fix yet for the problem and there is NO ETA. So essentially, I have a lesser car than what I paid for and BMW does not have any idea when they will be able to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 03:54 AM   #51
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Interesting. That's the first I've heard of a driver recorder malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #52
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

And no news out yet on how to get this App?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #53
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumonc View Post
The drive recorder feature on the 2020 X7 does not actually work. I have a brand new 2020 X7 M50i and shows "Drive Recorder Malfunction" error when I try to activate it manually. I took it to the dealer who gave me a 2020 X7 40i as a loaner car and that too has exactly the same problem. After keeping my car for a week, BMW now says they do not have a fix yet for the problem and there is NO ETA. So essentially, I have a lesser car than what I paid for and BMW does not have any idea when they will be able to fix it.
Tell dealer to download latest ISTA update (currently V4.20.20). Then reprogram your car.
      01-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #54
Orionshooter
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
The failure to preserve video evidence could result in you being found at fault in the event you're in an accident.

I’ve practiced law for 20+ years - the common law and general view of spoliation only applies to the intentional destruction of evidence which is ALREADY in existence. It DOES NOT apply to evidence you fail to gather or preserve nor does it apply to evidence destroyed unintentionally.

Interpretation and applicability vary among jurisdictions but this is the general view.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #55
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I am a bit confused. The whole interval setup, does that mean it's always recording but will only save once an event like an accident happens? If not, I do not see the benefit of it only starts recording after you get hit because the most critical part of an accident is being able to capture the actual accident itself.
That is basically how it works. The camera system is essentially recording all of the time, keeping only 30 seconds of video in memory (or whatever interval you set in iDrive). Then if an accident trigger occurs, that 30 seconds in memory (which is technically 30 seconds in the past now) is combined with 30 more seconds to give you a full minute worth of video that is permanently saved - 30 seconds before the accident trigger and 30 seconds after the accident trigger.

This is how aftermarket dash cam systems record accident "events" so I am assuming this is how the BMW system works based on the video demonstration posted.
That is how I understand it. You can also trigger a 20 second recording when ever you want. I wish it would record constantly and flag events as locked and not overwrite until you asked it to. If I want to save something like a crash in front of me, I'd have to remember todo it within 20 seconds I've it occurring. I doubt that would happen because I'd be in shock or worrying about checking on the victims.
You hit the nail on the heard there buddy. What good is 40 seconds? Video memory is cheap you should get at least a weeks worth.

If you see something you have 20 seconds to hit the button? Come on...

I'll be moving my OWL CAMERA into the X when it arrives. To me this is one of the best and simplest dash cameras on the market. It's only downfall is it records the front only. On the plus side, it does also record the interior too! That feature came in real handy when a porter at Audi was searching through my car. I watched her live and showed the service writer while she was doing it.

Made a great video.

Plus with the Owl Camera I was able to save it to my phone with the touch of a button.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #56
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Doh!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #57
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Made a great video.
I saw this video over on the Audi forums and I know some folks over at that dealership. Small world. Was this your video?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #58
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
Made a great video.
I saw this video over on the Audi forums and I know some folks over at that dealership. Small world. Was this your video?
Yup. That was me. Really left a bad taste in my mouth over at Audi. The cops said the owner was cool and asked me not to press charges. I didn't. Next day the owner called and said I entrapped her and racially profiled her. Audi corporate just said dealers are Independant and can do what they want. I've had to drive miles out of my way for service.

Can't wait to try out Motorwerks when my bmw gets delivered.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7257.50
Wild Blue3676.50
      01-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #59
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I never went to service at Hoffman or Motorwerks but I have purchased through them. Solid sales team. Straight-forward. No BS for either in those departments.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:45 PM   #60
Jwong
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5 40i mSport

Question Clarification please...

So confused on whether you have to pay for a subscription or not. Can someone please clarify for me?

I just purchased for June 2020 production. (So excited).

As part of the Premium Enhanced Package (Canadian), it included the BMW recorder feature. So does this mean that I also need to purchase an annual subscription after some sort of trial period (such as with the other BMW Connected apps such as traffic, etc)?

Please help. So confused.

Last edited by Jwong; 05-21-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #61
Jwong
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5 40i mSport

Smile

oh man, that sucks. Sorry it happened to you. Onwards and upwards to a bimmer! Congrats!

Quote:
You hit the nail on the heard there buddy. What good is 40 seconds? Video memory is cheap you should get at least a weeks worth.

If you see something you have 20 seconds to hit the button? Come on...

I'll be moving my OWL CAMERA into the X when it arrives. To me this is one of the best and simplest dash cameras on the market. It's only downfall is it records the front only. On the plus side, it does also record the interior too! That feature came in real handy when a porter at Audi was searching through my car. I watched her live and showed the service writer while she was doing it.

Made a great video.

Plus with the Owl Camera I was able to save it to my phone with the touch of a button.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #62
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Got in the car today, and under applications the download for the recorder was there. Just an FYI.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #63
BCINFL
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40I

Drive recorder is available after software update 112019.70. I have 2019 x7 purchased in April of 2019 and for a one time charge of 149.00 have subscribed. Tested it out and works fine. Exciting.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #64
BCINFL
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40I

One time usage for free, one year I think was 30, three year ? And lifetime for 149.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #65
makersmark
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymen14 View Post
Can you simplify this in laymen's terms please? I just read half of an article from the Florida bar and can't quite deduce if you're hinting that if the drive recorder failed you could pursue BMW for what I think is "spoliation of evidence" or if you were indicating that this would serve no purpose in some manner. Just interested in your reason behind the statement. Thank you.
No, the commenter is presumably calling out the obvious potential issue with such a system, that in general with every accident someone is at fault, so while this would be helpful 50% of the time when you are proving the other persons wrong doing, the half of the time when it's your fault, then this recording would prove you are at fault. And if you attempt to say delete the video or do something to intentionally hide that evidence that looks poorly on you, then you could be charged by doing so, aka Spoliation of evidence presumably.

When this feature was announced, while others immediately asked technical questions about the quality of the service such as resolution, parking mode, backup to cloud services and such, while that is all important, but first thought was what happens when you get into an accident that is potentially your fault? Are you required to provide the video, and or any other legal implications. And if you deleted the video presumably that action would be saved in your car somewhere which potentially BMW could recover.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #66
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makersmark View Post
No, the commenter is presumably calling out the obvious potential issue with such a system, that in general with every accident someone is at fault, so while this would be helpful 50% of the time when you are proving the other persons wrong doing, the half of the time when it's your fault, then this recording would prove you are at fault. And if you attempt to say delete the video or do something to intentionally hide that evidence that looks poorly on you, then you could be charged by doing so, aka Spoliation of evidence presumably.

When this feature was announced, while others immediately asked technical questions about the quality of the service such as resolution, parking mode, backup to cloud services and such, while that is all important, but first thought was what happens when you get into an accident that is potentially your fault? Are you required to provide the video, and or any other legal implications. And if you deleted the video presumably that action would be saved in your car somewhere which potentially BMW could recover.
How about if it’s your fault you just fess up and let State Farm worry about it?
Appreciate 0