BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum First impression of my FIAT X7....

12-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #23
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I think you misunderstood my statement or I did not express it clearly enough. I love Porsche. I am not saying they're crap but they do cut corners and over the last decade some of their products weren't current or as good as they could've been when they debuted. If you failed to notice this then perhaps we are looking at different things when we drive our vehicles. Apparently we share similar tastes in vehicles otherwise our paths would not have crossed but I am not going to continue because it appears you have a tremendous bias and or blind loyalty to their badge.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #24
OTJeebus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3 M8cGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
Having the widest profit margin doesn't mean they cut corners. This is an amateur statement and is laughable. Based on that logic, then Tesla or Aston Martin must be making the best cars in the world because they are bleeding money left and right.

Porsche has the widest profit margin because they are the master of upcharging for their long list of options and the fact that they produce over 45 variants from only 3 platforms. There are significant amount of development and parts sharing. This also mean they become very efficient and quality of their parts goes way up. Lexus/Toyota does this as well and by no coincidence, Porsche went to Toyota back in the early 90s and hired them as consultants to revamp their entire production methods.

Porsche ain't flawless, and that is not what I'm saying here. They have their share of issues, but if you are looking at their products and comparing them to their competitors, they are making cars with a higher degree of precision and better quality than their peers in the luxury segment, especially compared to Range Rovers

Ferrari is Ferrari. Their quality is crap, but we love them full stop.
I am a Porsche sack rider and I feel like their quality has dropped. Heck I think it’s dropped over the entire auto industry save for the likes of pagani, Bugatti etc. Some of this we feel as consumers, but the statistical strength of experience is low. A little better than us is are the people who have much greater experience working in the industry in the day in and day out of the brand. I happen to know a few of them and report the same.

So in conclusion I don’t know if I agreed with you or not lol.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      12-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #25
unotaz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

I agree with you, Porsche from the 996 generation were utter crap, so as they were on the brink of collapse and the first generation Cayenne saved the entire company. 997 made a big improvement, so they poured that money back into R&D and they made big strides in the 991 generation.

Having said that, I think my argument in all of this is to simply point out that there is a clear reason why Range Rovers is dead last in the JD Power initial quality survey, due to the fact that Range Rover cut corners on key fundamental components such as the braking system and the air suspension, which you won't admit.

Every manufacturer cuts corners because they all have their budget to hit. But when your key components (eg. engine, brakes, suspension, body) have issues across the board like in the case of the Range Rover, then it's going to reflect badly on the entire brand image. Porsche did it in the late 90s on the 996 with the infamous rear main seal leak, and their JD power ranking dropped accordingly and this is why I would never own a 996 generation Porsche ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I think you misunderstood my statement or I did not express it clearly enough. I love Porsche. I am not saying they're crap but they do cut corners and over the last decade some of their products weren't current or as good as they could've been when they debuted. If you failed to notice this then perhaps we are looking at different things when we drive our vehicles. Apparently we share similar tastes in vehicles otherwise our paths would not have crossed but I am not going to continue because it appears you have a tremendous bias and or blind loyalty to their badge.

Last edited by unotaz; 12-19-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #26
unotaz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

So what is your experience so far between your Porsche and your BMW?

I haven't owned a BMW or Mercedes in well over a decade, but my experience with these brands back in those days weren't good. I'm already telling my wife to expect more problems with her incoming X7 than her Porsche/Lexus and she responded "It can't be as bad as my old Range Rover right?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTJeebus View Post
I am a Porsche sack rider and I feel like their quality has dropped. Heck I think it’s dropped over the entire auto industry save for the likes of pagani, Bugatti etc. Some of this we feel as consumers, but the statistical strength of experience is low. A little better than us is are the people who have much greater experience working in the industry in the day in and day out of the brand. I happen to know a few of them and report the same.

So in conclusion I don’t know if I agreed with you or not lol.