BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Recommendations on a heart rate monitor?

12-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Recommendations on a heart rate monitor?

My Polar one did pretty well for 3 years and am looking to switch to one that doesn't require a chest strap.

Can anyone recommend a tried and tested one? Fitbit charge HR has mixed reviews on the heart rate feature.

Thanks.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Suunto's offerings are very well made and accurate. I have the Ambit3 Peak; superb bit of kit.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I've been looking for the same. No one likes using a chest strap, but the wrist mounted HRMs are not as accurate.

The Scosche Rhythm+ seems to be a pretty popular alternative. Goes on your forearm, ant+/bluetooth, very accurate, less bothersome than a chest strap.

Pretty detailed review:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/s...h-optical.html

It's what I'm leaning towards and will link with my Garmin GPS watch.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The problem is, the Rhythm+ doesn't give HRV data.
I'm keeping an eye open as I do find all HRM straps uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

All HR monitors that don't use a chest strap are inaccurate.

I used Sunnto HRMs for years but switched to Garmin a little while back and am happy for it. The Garmin soft strap is very comfortable.
      01-27-2016, 11:50 PM   #6
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It's the shape/type I don't get on with; being rather "triangular" (as most athletes are), they only stay up if they're so tight, I can hardly breathe. And the sensors just make me feel winded.
The latest Suunto HRM strap is a big step up from the old one (thinner, smallest sensor) but still doesn't "work" for me; a shame as the data is very useful.

Having had a Garmin, I wouldn't have another one of their GPS watches.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 01:41 AM   #7
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
All HR monitors that don't use a chest strap are inaccurate.

I used Sunnto HRMs for years but switched to Garmin a little while back and am happy for it. The Garmin soft strap is very comfortable.
Very true. Plus all the diagnostic data isn't accurate, they use baseline generic algorithm software to estimate output. Fail sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em135eye View Post
It's the shape/type I don't get on with; being rather "triangular" (as most athletes are), they only stay up if they're so tight, I can hardly breathe. And the sensors just make me feel winded.
The latest Suunto HRM strap is a big step up from the old one (thinner, smallest sensor) but still doesn't "work" for me; a shame as the data is very useful.

Having had a Garmin, I wouldn't have another one of their GPS watches.
I am built like you and it does ride a bit, but I just let it settle and the back tends to ride low and the front high, but I still get accurate readings. For accurate measurements and data there isn't a better option for an athletic type of movement. Think of a pulse ox reader and the how a patient has to remain stable....

I use a Polar V800 and it's the best HR training device I've ever used and doesn't look like I'm some crossfit army junky with the cliche hockey puck watch. They are also releasing software for phone notifications so it will have a mall function of smartwatch capabilities. My favourite features are the swim metrics and infinitely programmable exercises and data sets on the screen. The GPS is super fast to boot up. Takes about 10-15 seconds in Texas.

I've read about a new arm-band sensor but I can't remember where. I know one of the things I didn't like was that the watch software was weak, I don't think anyone touches Polar, but Garmin comes close, though there watches are ugly. Suuntos offerings are great but I find that HR and fitness are the secondary functions of the watch.

I'd research the arm-band sensor. I also think I've read that the sensor can be programmed to another watch.....my apologies for being vague on the details. I'm extremely happy with my V800 so I kind of just sifted through the information I was reading without noting details.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 01:45 AM   #8
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Looked one up real quick....
I didn't even bother reading the review but I know his blog is top notch. I always go to it when looking at new training products.
He's very thorough and does very good real world testing.
Good luck.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/s...h-optical.html
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 02:01 AM   #9
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yep that's the Rhythm+; no HRV data.
Having had a Garmin 910xt, the a Suunto Ambit 2 and now the 3 Peak, I'm delighted with it. Looks like a watch (not a wrist computer), properly waterproof, battery lasts ages, gets a GPS lock very quickly (unlike the Garmin), very solid, pairs with my phone, makes incredible videos of runs and cycles, etc. Oh and texts come up on it when I'm cycling.

Just needs a reliable arm mounted HR sensor! I'm 28" waist, 42" chest; just doesn't work with a belt. I even made a type of bra strap arrangement for it but it was still too uncomfortable when running. It's okay when cycling.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 02:34 AM   #10
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em135eye View Post
Yep that's the Rhythm+; no HRV data.
Compromises....we're just not there yet. For sub five miles general fitness runs I feel something like that arm sensor will do the trick. But if you are doing specific, ability improvement cycles that are ten miles and beyond then yes you may need good HRVs in the graph analysis.

The reason the chest strap works is because it's software uses similar software to a 3 lead ecg. An arm band is only going to pull data from one artery/pulse. Even when we get past the ir sensor issue, it will never be as dynamic in data logging.

You might want to try wearing a compression tank, many swimmers use them with success for swimming, I would imaging it might help some with your shape. It might not be as comfortable but I use things like that in endurance training to simulate a mental stress I need to block out and focus on my task.
The end result would be to self modify the chest strap with two vertical shoulder straps on your own to keep it in place....sometimes the end user solutions are the best at evolving a design.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 03:33 AM   #11
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I may try again with the self made shoulder strap: might mean raiding the wife's bra collection...!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 04:06 PM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Very true. Plus all the diagnostic data isn't accurate, they use baseline generic algorithm software to estimate output. Fail sauce.

I am built like you and it does ride a bit, but I just let it settle and the back tends to ride low and the front high, but I still get accurate readings. For accurate measurements and data there isn't a better option for an athletic type of movement. Think of a pulse ox reader and the how a patient has to remain stable....
Where i wear the HR strap on me measures at 42" but my waist is 34-5". The Garmin soft strap has no problem staying up without feeling tight on me. That's in running, cycling, TRX, paddle boarding, etc....