BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Bouncy Ride

07-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #1
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Bouncy Ride

Anybody else noticing this especially when in Comfort Mode? Feels a little trampoline like with the slightest dip in the road.
I thought it was just me and I think I was in denial.... so I didn't say anything.
Now my wife has mentioned it to me... and I have to agree. It's definitely the thing I like least about my X7.
BTW I do not have Dynamic Handling.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Interesting. When you took delivery of your X7, did your genius set up the wheel diameter/tire profile/tire type for you? I find that I can detect differences in ride quality when I change settings there.

FWIW, I really like how the X7 rides. Very comfortable, absorbing bumps, but not swaying like old-school Cadillacs.
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
Interesting. When you took delivery of your X7, did your genius set up the wheel diameter/tire profile/tire type for you? I find that I can detect differences in ride quality when I change settings there.

FWIW, I really like how the X7 rides. Very comfortable, absorbing bumps, but not swaying like old-school Cadillacs.
No not to my knowledge.
Maybe I'll look into that.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx_77 View Post
Anybody else noticing this especially when in Comfort Mode? Feels a little trampoline like with the slightest dip in the road.
I thought it was just me and I think I was in denial.... so I didn't say anything.
Now my wife has mentioned it to me... and I have to agree. It's definitely the thing I like least about my X7.
I do not experience this, however, I did get Dynamic Handling. I do know that my ride on my local roads is significantly smoother than in all my other vehicles.
      07-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:

Mine did not either. Do you know where those settings are?
      07-02-2019, 12:54 PM   #6
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
I can't recall exactly right now, but it's buried somewhere under the settings. I'll look tonight and let you guys know
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
Scanger
Rep

Quote:

I have experienced this as well. It happens when going over bumpy roads. Please let me know if you figure out what is causing this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Quote:

Found the setting for wheel size.
Car->Vehicle Status->tire pressure monitor->tire settings

Mine was already set correctly
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Glad you found the settings and sorry that doesn't seem to help. How does it handle when you're in sport mode?

I was actually marveling at how composed the car is going over speed bumps. It doesn't rock back and forth after the initial contact, and cushions the hit quite a bit (in comfort mode, without DHP)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Glad you found the settings and sorry that doesn't seem to help. How does it handle when you're in sport mode?

I was actually marveling at how composed the car is going over speed bumps. It doesn't rock back and forth after the initial contact, and cushions the hit quite a bit (in comfort mode, without DHP)
It handles great in Sport Mode, given its size.

It's just that bounce when the pavement has a dip or is a little bit wavy like it sometimes is on an overpass or elevated stretch of highway with expansion joints... or at the dips at often found before and after intersections.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #11
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Mine is actually very composed when going over uneven surface, but I always keeps it in adaptive mode, I have DHP.

But I checked on setting of tire, it's displayed as "other", I have 22s.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Hit Sport Mode every time you start the car, before you leave the driveway.

1. Removes most of the float.
2. Disables auto stop/start.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Hit Sport Mode every time you start the car, before you leave the driveway.

1. Removes most of the float.
2. Disables auto stop/start.
Haven't used Sport Mode that much, just every once in a while.
But I have been trying it for the last h hour or so and it actually doesn't seem much better.
Maybe it's just my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #14
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

What about ride height? Could raising or lowering possibly help?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Sounds like lack of the Dynamic Handling package. Can those who have this problem state whether you have the Dynamic Handling package or not?

Last edited by CruiseControl; 07-02-2019 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #16
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Sounds like lack of the Dynamic Handling package. Can those who have this problem state whether you have the Dynamic Handling package or not?
I do have DHP and I have absolutely noticed this "float" feeling. I don't like it, but its an othewise excellent ride. Its most noticable only at low speeds when making turns or going over uneven pavement (left to right rock/sway). Dare I say it is a little "boat like". Not an issue at high speeds or going for uniform bumps like speed bumps.

It disapears in sport mode as its firmer all over.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #17
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

This concerns me a bit because my family members often get car sick. My Mercedes has Active Curve which appears to be very much like Dynamic Handling and it significantly reduced the floaty feel. I hope this will not be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:59 PM   #18
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This concerns me a bit because my family members often get car sick. My Mercedes has Active Curve which appears to be very much like Dynamic Handling and it significantly reduced the floaty feel. I hope this will not be a problem.
Yeah.
That is exactly what my wife said.
"It makes me feel car sick"
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #19
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
I do have DHP and I have absolutely noticed this "float" feeling. I don't like it, but its an othewise excellent ride. Its most noticable only at low speeds when making turns or going over uneven pavement (left to right rock/sway). Dare I say it is a little "boat like". Not an issue at high speeds or going for uniform bumps like speed bumps.

It disapears in sport mode as its firmer all over.
Yeah, as you noticed DHP doesn’t help with float. Might help with cornering or fast evasive maneuvers, but in a straight highway cruise we all float the same. Sport Mode definitely helps. But the X7 is just a big, soft luxury car. We knew this going in so no harm no foul.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #20
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
I don't mean to scare you away. Its not an issue at speed. Really - Just slow speed like puling in your drive, uneven parking lots, and sharp turns (at least for me) - stuff DHP probablly cant account for.

Again, its fine in sport and someone mentioned driving in "Adaptive mode". Is that a thing? Isn't it called dyanamic? I forgot about that mode and I will have to try it. Perhaps at slow speeds it firms up the suspension.

I drove the X7 at the Peformance Center like stole it and didn't notice anything but the smoking hot laps.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #21
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I’d love to tell you otherwise but the X7 isn’t the best vehicle for those sensitive to car sickness. I have had to change my driving style and have even chosen different routes to local places to avoid turns and hills my X5 used to take like a champ.

The X7 has a ton of virtues. But driving dynamics isn’t one of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #22
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
What about ride height? Could raising or lowering possibly help?
Sport Mode is the only way to lower the car and it’s to a conservative BMW preset level. It’s one of the reasons why Sport Mode helps with float.

Despite the sexy control panel that leads you to believe otherwise, the X7 does not have manually adjustable ride height. You can lower the car at a dead stop to make it easier for grandma to climb in, but that’s it, once you start to move forward the height lofts back up.
Appreciate 0