BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Captains Chairs

12-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
aw9nineteen
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Captains Chairs

Hey,

Can someone help us figure out how to move the middle row seat forward so that people can access the third row?

When we were looking at the bench seat config there was a simple button on the seat. Captains seats have a latch that you have to pull. My issue and concern is that you have to pull and hold it the entire time. Some when you get it forward enough and start climbing in, it starts to shut on you. Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i/'20 F-350/21 Jeep

If you pull the latch up and tilt the seat forward they will slide forward and up on their own. The corresponding front seat will move forward also.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
aw9nineteen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOuttaWater View Post
If you pull the latch up and tilt the seat forward they will slide forward and up on their own. The corresponding front seat will move forward also.
Yes, but I can't pull the seat forward because there's a car seat there. Once I pull it up it starts moving the front seat. Then it stops and starts to move the seat I'm holding. The frustration is that I need to hold it the entire time while people crawl in the back.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i/'20 F-350/21 Jeep

Oh, I get it. My wife has 3 car seats in hers (grand kids) so she leaves one of the captains chairs empty and has the other two in the 3rd row. The boys are 6 & 4 and they are in booster seats so they get the back seats and the little girl is 2 so she gets the second row. They load and unload from the side without the car seat.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9nineteen View Post
Yes, but I can't pull the seat forward because there's a car seat there. Once I pull it up it starts moving the front seat. Then it stops and starts to move the seat I'm holding. The frustration is that I need to hold it the entire time while people crawl in the back.
I think the only way would be to use the rear seat control from the driver seat. If you hit the forward motion there it basically preps the seat(s) chosen by putting them fully forward and up, so everything but the physical portion that would normally start the process.

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 12-30-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9nineteen View Post
What you're doing by "holding the lever constantly" is forcing the safety protections to think there is no car seat in the way when there actually is. This can lead to breaking the car seat or one of the BMW seats when they sandwich as designed. Probably not covered by the warranty, you'd be on the hook for damage to levers, chairs, and motors.

In our X7, we put the child's car seat in the drivers-side captain and always leave the passenger-side captain free so it can do its electronic fold and force all passengers to enter the 2nd and 3rd row that way. If you simply must have two car seats installed at all times, you need to pick one of them and put them permanently in the 3rd row. The X7 has 3rd row airbags, it's a safe place for a youngster.

Once you have one of the two captain's free, you don't need to hold the lever constantly; you just need to pull the lever, fold the backrest a few degrees, and it does the rest with the motors.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Or
If it's just occasional use of the third row you can first remove the armrests of the captains chairs and leave it that way
and when you need to use the third row move a front seat forward (giving more room to get by car seats) to allow access down the center.
Granny doesn't seem to have a problem getting back there... but she is nimble enough, and it's only an occasional thing.
Appreciate 0