BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum iPhone 11 Pro as Digital Key to Drive the Car

12-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #23
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMisanthrope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
That isnt true. You can start the car and drive using just your phone with the digital key. I don't carry a fob anymore.
I think kdesign7 was talking about just using the app (i.e. when you have a phone that doesn't support the digital key thing you're talking about — like an iPhone).
Yes. This is correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #24
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
So, what happens if I'm sitting in a restaurant finishing up dinner and use the app to "Climatize" the car which starts it and set's the temperature. If it unlocks the vehicle and someone who doesn't have my key or phone hops in the car while it's running can they just drive off? Or does it still require a key fob or digital key in order drive off?
In order to "start" the car, the digital key must be in the charging tray.

Remember, even after climatizing, you still have to push start engine when you hey in the car to get it into drive
I thought the card key only needed to be in your wallet/purse in order to start your car, so you did not need to carry the key fob on you? Or are you saying that once the car is remote started, you need to put the card key in the wireless charger before you can drive off? Or, are you saying that in order to remote start the car with the connected app, the card key must be in the car? That does not seem right because if you left the card key in the car, can't anyone just open, start and drive off with your car : ?

Just trying to thoroughly understand how this tech works since none of the dealers I have talked know these types of details to my satisfaction...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #25
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I thought the card key only needed to be in your wallet/purse in order to start your car, so you did not need to carry the key fob on you? Or are you saying that once the car is remote started, you need to put the card key in the wireless charger before you can drive off? Or, are you saying that in order to remote start the car with the connected app, the card key must be in the car? That does not seem right because if you left the card key in the car, can't anyone just open, start and drive off with your car : ?

Just trying to thoroughly understand how this tech works since none of the dealers I have talked know these types of details to my satisfaction...

He is correct: "In order to "start" the car, the digital key must be in the charging tray."

In fact, the card must remain in the charging key while driving the X7. IMO it's really only useful for another member of the family who occasionally uses your car or for a valet. For everyday use, not so convenient.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      12-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #26
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
He is correct:

"In order to "start" the car, the digital key must be in the charging tray."
Interesting.... Makes using the card key seem not as convenient as I thought if you use it in lieu of the key fob AND you need to put it into the wireless charger every time you want to start the car (or drive off with the car if you previously remote started it). I thought you could just keep the card key in your pocket at all times. In my case, I would need to take my wallet out of my pocket each time I get into the car if I chose to only carry the card key. Oh well, 1st world problems.....

So how many of you use the card key in your wallet, taking your card key/wallet out of your pocket to place it in the wireless charger? Is the convenience better than just keeping a key fob in your pocket?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #27
DenverMisanthrope
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i (ordered), 540i xDrive

Quote:
...the card must remain in the charging key while driving the X7. IMO it's really only useful for another member of the family who occasionally uses your car or for a valet. For everyday use, not so convenient.
So, in the end, it sounds like the good old-fashioned key fob is arguably the most convenient option, since it's the only method that allows you to leave it in your pocket/bag 100% of the time. Both the phone as key and the key card require placement in the charging tray, whereas you never have to touch the fob to start/drive the vehicle. Is that correct?

What about merely unlocking the doors? On the videos I've seen demonstrating either phone as key or the digital key card, they show the phone being placed ON the door handle. Is that necessary, or is it possible to unlock the doors without removing your phone or the key card from your pocket? (In other words, what's the range?)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #28
alpha265
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMisanthrope View Post
Quote:
...the card must remain in the charging key while driving the X7. IMO it's really only useful for another member of the family who occasionally uses your car or for a valet. For everyday use, not so convenient.
So, in the end, it sounds like the good old-fashioned key fob is arguably the most convenient option, since it's the only method that allows you to leave it in your pocket/bag 100% of the time. Both the phone as key and the key card require placement in the charging tray, whereas you never have to touch the fob to start/drive the vehicle. Is that correct?

What about merely unlocking the doors? On the videos I've seen demonstrating either phone as key or the digital key card, they show the phone being placed ON the door handle. Is that necessary, or is it possible to unlock the doors without removing your phone or the key card from your pocket? (In other words, what's the range?)
You have to place the phone or card at the exact spot on the driver's side door handle. The range is zero.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #29
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So how many of you use the card key in your wallet, taking your card key/wallet out of your pocket to place it in the wireless charger? Is the convenience better than just keeping a key fob in your pocket?
As I mentioned above, it's not all that convenient to use so I gave it to me son who occasionally drives the X7. My wife and I use the FOB's.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #30
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

In other words, useless. I would have rather had the useless display key!
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #31
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
As I mentioned above, it's not all that convenient to use so I gave it to me son who occasionally drives the X7. My wife and I use the FOB's.
Well, at least the card key appears to be a "no cost" option that comes with the X7 - I would not pay extra for it. I could not verify on the BMW build site, but I am assuming the card key comes with either the Premium or Executive packages, or maybe the Remote Start option. I would probably carry it in my wallet as a backup like a few others mentioned.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #32
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

My husband only uses the digital card key. Also the app to remote start and lock and unlock. Keeps the card key in his wallet and puts it on the Bluetooth charger no problems. Starts right up. Probably depends on the thickness of the wallet.

We keep a usb c cord in the arm rest to charge the phone which is much faster anyway. You could just leave your phone inside there until you get out.

I think he finds it much more convenient to keep a card in his wallet then always have the key in his pocket.

For women it's a little different because we carry purses and more crap. so the fob is nice when you just walk up to the car and it unlocks. Nothing else does that except the fob. (Or phone app if you want to count that but still have to dig for it)

On another note. I do like the card as well because sometimes I will just carry a small coin purse with id and key card to go into the gym. It's much more convenient then a thick key.
Appreciate 0