BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Which sound system has better bass: HK or B&W?

01-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
robininni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X535d (sold)

Which sound system has better bass: HK or B&W?

I've read several accounts of disappointing bass with the B&W but yet it plays crystal clear and extremely high volume levels. Does the HK system have better bass even if it can't complete with the overall clarity of the B&W system?

What does each system have in terms of a subwoofer? Any opinions on the bass response and overall comparison between the two systems is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw x7

I think it kinda depends on what you're used to already/coming from?

There are no subs in the X7; just woofers and they're placed under the driver & passenger side seats. This is true for both HK and B&W setups.

I came from a Focal/JLAudio/Alpine setup in my previous car. Fidelity was fantastic and it's apples & oranges on bass since I had a sub prior as well. I have the HK system in my current X7 and while it's pretty good to me after some equalizer tweaks, it just isn't the same as my previous car. I don't know how the B&W system is.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
I've read several accounts of disappointing bass with the B&W but yet it plays crystal clear and extremely high volume levels. Does the HK system have better bass even if it can't complete with the overall clarity of the B&W system?

What does each system have in terms of a subwoofer? Any opinions on the bass response and overall comparison between the two systems is much appreciated.
Question for those with the HK system: when sitting in the 2nd row, does the system sound like its "front seat heavy"? Meaning, when I sat in the back seat of two X7s, it sounded like more volume was coming from the front. Almost like someone had changed the settings to be 75% 1st row and 25% second. Checked the settings and it was equally balanced. Getting ready to order an X7 and going back and forth on the audio system choice.

I did listen to both the HK and B&W systems with different music (rock, classic, rap, etc.). My immediate reaction was that the B&W had more clarity and was a little bit more immersive sounding; however, it wasn't on the level of my B&W system in my current XC90 (which is the best OEM system I've heard). All subjective at the end of the day ... who knows, maybe some settings had been changed on the HK and B&W that I was not able to find in the 10 minutes that I tested the systems.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
kwilkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020bmwx7 View Post
I think it kinda depends on what you're used to already/coming from?

There are no subs in the X7; just woofers and they're placed under the driver & passenger side seats. This is true for both HK and B&W setups.

I came from a Focal/JLAudio/Alpine setup in my previous car. Fidelity was fantastic and it's apples & oranges on bass since I had a sub prior as well. I have the HK system in my current X7 and while it's pretty good to me after some equalizer tweaks, it just isn't the same as my previous car. I don't know how the B&W system is.
Is there a way to add a Sub to the BW system in the X7?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #5
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Is there a way to add a Sub to the BW system in the X7?
I think you'll still need a separate amp to power a sub. There aren't any cut-outs either in the back, etc so you'll either have one in a box taking up space in the trunk or you'll have to do a custom install (e.g. custom enclosure in space saving spare location).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Question for those with the HK system: when sitting in the 2nd row, does the system sound like its "front seat heavy"? Meaning, when I sat in the back seat of two X7s, it sounded like more volume was coming from the front. Almost like someone had changed the settings to be 75% 1st row and 25% second. Checked the settings and it was equally balanced. Getting ready to order an X7 and going back and forth on the audio system choice.

I did listen to both the HK and B&W systems with different music (rock, classic, rap, etc.). My immediate reaction was that the B&W had more clarity and was a little bit more immersive sounding; however, it wasn't on the level of my B&W system in my current XC90 (which is the best OEM system I've heard). All subjective at the end of the day ... who knows, maybe some settings had been changed on the HK and B&W that I was not able to find in the 10 minutes that I tested the systems.
Majority of the speakers are in the front vs 2nd & 3rd row. You're right that it's totally subjective, but I did adjust my fader to lean more towards the rear to balance the sound out a bit more as the driver.

There are EQ settings you can adjust including adjusting the Logic7 surround setting for HK systems.

I haven't sat in a B&W system yet or even in the X7 so sadly I can't give you my 0.02 cents on HK vs B&W. But spec wise, i'd opt for the B&W. What's another 3K on a 100K+ vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
Jefflikescars
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, Navigator, Mod Y Perf

We haven't even mentioned the most important factor here: the B&W has lights in the speakers!!!
Appreciate 4
LittleJoe1064.00
MFL10114.50
aas5171.00
Wild Blue3682.50
      01-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #8
robininni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefflikescars View Post
We haven't even mentioned the most important factor here: the B&W has lights in the speakers!!!
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #9
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
You're right, I totally forgot! Who the hell cares about the sound with those lights? Problem solved ... I'm getting the B&W
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3682.50
      01-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #10
robininni
Private First Class
Rep

Will the HK sound better than my base 2012 x35d sound system did? I was very happy with it. Had good base to with (I thought subwoofers--maybe just woofers) under the front two seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Just to be clear... There are 3 audio options for the X7.

1. Base/Standard HK sound system.

2. Upgraded HK sound system that has the graphic equalizer (Only available as part of either the Premium or Executive packages).

3. B&W Sound system.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
robininni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Just to be clear... There are 3 audio options for the X7.

1. Base/Standard HK sound system.

2. Upgraded HK sound system that has the graphic equalizer (Only available as part of either the Premium or Executive packages).

3. B&W Sound system.
With the m50i, is it only option 2 or 3?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #13
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
If you are looking to add more bass to a base Hi-Fi or HK sound system that is plug-n-play, Bavsound should have an option in the relatively near future for the X7. Specifically their Ghost Subs:

https://www.bavsound.com/pages/bmw-subwoofers

These would replace/upgrade the under-seat subwoofers in the X7. I recently had an X5 loaner w/HK system and was not impressed with the bass response. The HK system in my F80 M3 had better bass response. The X5 and the X7 apparently share the same under-seat subwoofer so I suspect the bass response in the X7 w/HK will be similar to the X5.

Or if you want even more bass, a company like the one below could probably come up with something similar to what they have done for other BMW models (provided they could get their hands on an X7):

https://musicarcertified.com/product...sub-level-one/

Also, the under-seat sub woofers are different for the different BMW radio options: Hi-Fi, HK & B&W.....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #14
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I just checked and it looks like the m50i gets a different HK audio than what's available on the 40i.

Standard equipment on the M50i is as follows:

Systems, speakers and more.
Anti-theft AM/FM stereo with Radio Data System (RDS)
CD player pre-wiring Harman Kardon® Surround Sound Audio System with vehicle-specic equalizing and powerful 464-watt amplier; the 16-speaker system includes 7 tweeters, 4 midrange speakers located in the door panels and 2 midrange speakers located in the D-pillar, 2 bass speakers located under the front seats and 1 midrange center channel speaker
HD Radio™ with "multicast" FM station reception.

Standard Equipment on the 40i is as follows:

CD player pre-wiring
HiFi Sound System with 10 speakers and 205-watt digital amplifier
HD Radio™ with "multicast" FM station reception
SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with 1-year All Access subscription

The upgraded HK Audio on the 40i is as follows:

Harman Kardon surround sound system
Harman Kardon® surround sound system with 360-watts. This 12-speaker sound system includes 5 tweeters (2 tweeters with "Harman Kardon" designation in the mirror triangles), 5 midrange speakers and 2 central bass speakers located under the front seats. This multi-channel system makes the car's cabin a colorful sound experience.

The only other Audio options that I could see for the entire X7 line is the B&W Audio upgrade.

So, in essence, it looks like there are a total of 4 different Audio Options across the entire X7 line depending on which model you get.

Clear as mud...?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:35 PM   #15
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
That's correct.

Option 2 is standard and since that's the case, option 3 is 'only' $3,400 more (I say 'only' because on my Audi Q7, the optional B&O was $5,000 even though the Prestige model included an upgraded Bose-system, too)...
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:37 PM   #16
robininni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I just checked and it looks like the m50i gets a different HK audio than what's available on the 40i.

Standard equipment on the M50i is as follows:

CD player pre-wiring Harman Kardon® Surround Sound Audio System with vehicle-specic equalizing and powerful 464-watt amplier; the 16-speaker system includes 7 tweeters, 4 midrange speakers located in the door panels and 2 midrange speakers located in the D-pillar, 2 bass speakers located under the front seats and 1 midrange center channel speaker
HD Radio™ with "multicast" FM station reception.

Standard Equipment on the 40i is as follows:

CD player pre-wiring
HiFi Sound System with 10 speakers and 205-watt digital amplifier
HD Radio™ with "multicast" FM station reception
SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with 1-year All Access subscription

The upgraded HK Audio on the 40i is as follows:

Harman Kardon surround sound system
Harman Kardon® surround sound system with 360-watts. This 12-speaker sound system includes 5 tweeters (2 tweeters with "Harman Kardon" designation in the mirror triangles), 5 midrange speakers and 2 central bass speakers located under the front seats. This multi-channel system makes the car's cabin a colorful sound experience.

The only other Audio options that I could see for the entire X7 line is the B&W Audio upgrade.

So, in essence, it looks like there are a total of 4 different Audio Options across the entire X7 line depending on which model you get.

Clear as mud...?
Thanks for figuring all that out! Now we need someone to compare the m50i HK with the upgraded x40i/x50i HK....
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #17
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
That would be very interesting.

The order-code, though, of the upgraded HK is identical on all models - option-code 688 on the 40i and listed as standard on the other two models.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:55 AM   #18
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
That would be very interesting.

The order-code, though, of the upgraded HK is identical on all models - option-code 688 on the 40i and listed as standard on the other two models.
Leave it to BMW to confuse the heck out of everyone.

If they are in fact the same Audio System (Upgraded HK for the 40i and standard HK for the m50i) then BMW is lying about the specs on one of these vehicles.

The 40i upgraded HK Audio lists the system as having 360 watts and 12 speakers.

The M50i lists the HK Audio system as having 464 watts and 16 speakers.

If they both have the same HK Audio "688" option number you would think they would be exactly the same Audio systems. So, where do we go from here? How do we find out what the true specs are for both the 40i and M50i that are using the same "688" option number?

Any takers on finding the answer? Enquiring minds want to know!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #19
robininni
Private First Class
Rep

So can any m50i owners with the HK system chime in about how they like it?

It sounds like the m50i HK system is quite an improvement in wattage and number of speakers over the x50i or x40i HK system.

I'm looking to cut back the cost on my m50i build, and while I love music and listening to it in the car, I'm just wondering if the m50i HK is 'good enough' compared to the pricey B&W system.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #20
Jefflikescars
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, Navigator, Mod Y Perf

Quote:

It sounds like the m50i HK system is quite an improvement in wattage and number of speakers over the x50i or x40i HK system.

I'm looking to cut back the cost on my m50i build, and while I love music and listening to it in the car, I'm just wondering if the m50i HK is 'good enough' compared to the pricey B&W system.
I have the M50i with the HK system. Really debated the B&W but was already checking more boxes than I initially intended.

I'm no audiophile, but I have been totally happy with the HK. Plenty of bass, clear sound, and the Logic Surround is great. I've cranked the volume up for several friends, and everyone agrees that it is a plenty good system.

For my build I ended up putting the money into other things - dynamic handling (which I love!), leather dash, glass controls, luxury package, etc. Unlimited funds - sure, I'd go for the B&W. Looking to reduce the price a bit - I'd stick with HK for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:40 PM   #21
robininni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have the M50i with the HK system. Really debated the B&W but was already checking more boxes than I initially intended.

I'm no audiophile, but I have been totally happy with the HK. Plenty of bass, clear sound, and the Logic Surround is great. I've cranked the volume up for several friends, and everyone agrees that it is a plenty good system.

For my build I ended up putting the money into other things - dynamic handling (which I love!), leather dash, glass controls, luxury package, etc. Unlimited funds - sure, I'd go for the B&W. Looking to reduce the price a bit - I'd stick with HK for sure.
Thanks a bunch! That's just what I needed to hear, no pun intended. I'm looking to cut back cost but I definitely want other things like all the major packages. I like music though, but that's another $3400! Some people say, well, at $115k, who cares about another $3400, but... it all adds up and you gotta stop somewhere (at least I'm trying to be somewhat pretend frugal ).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #22
unotaz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

The HK system in the M50i is adequate, but the B&W system is that much more clearer in terms of bass and treble. Plenty of bass power for a system without a dedicated subwoofer. I think it's worth the $3400 upcharge

Quote: