BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Which sound system has better bass: HK or B&W?

01-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #23
DenverMisanthrope
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i (ordered), 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
Thanks a bunch! That's just what I needed to hear, no pun intended. I'm looking to cut back cost but I definitely want other things like all the major packages. I like music though, but that's another $3400! Some people say, well, at $115k, who cares about another $3400, but... it all adds up and you gotta stop somewhere (at least I'm trying to be somewhat pretend frugal ).
FWIW, I did listen to both at the dealership before I placed my order — played via Apple Music (and its attendant relatively low bitrate). Was there a difference? I guess. But it's not night and day. For the 5 or 6 tracks I sampled, at the volumes I tried (reasonably loud, but not drown-out-the-guy-in-the-next-car-over loud) the difference was negligible. If you're maxing out the volume knob and listening to uncompressed FLAC files, maybe it's another matter. For how I listen, though, the B&W isn't worth it.

I do have the B&W system in my 540i (not entirely by choice — I didn't order, and dealer inventory was extremely limited at the time). It's great, but not having anything to compare it to back then, I was very keen on doing a side-by-side comparison with the standard HK in the M50i this time. And the HK is great. This isn't an indictment of the B&W by any means, it's just that the HK is definitely no slouch. So don't feel bad or hesitant about foregoing the B&W. Besides, in fairness, half of the cost of the B&W option probably just has to do with the lights in the speakers anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #24
robininni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X535d (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMisanthrope View Post
FWIW, I did listen to both at the dealership before I placed my order — played via Apple Music (and its attendant relatively low bitrate). Was there a difference? I guess. But it's not night and day. For the 5 or 6 tracks I sampled, at the volumes I tried (reasonably loud, but not drown-out-the-guy-in-the-next-car-over loud) the difference was negligible. If you're maxing out the volume knob and listening to uncompressed FLAC files, maybe it's another matter. For how I listen, though, the B&W isn't worth it.

I do have the B&W system in my 540i (not entirely by choice — I didn't order, and dealer inventory was extremely limited at the time). It's great, but not having anything to compare it to back then, I was very keen on doing a side-by-side comparison with the standard HK in the M50i this time. And the HK is great. This isn't an indictment of the B&W by any means, it's just that the HK is definitely no slouch. So don't feel bad or hesitant about foregoing the B&W. Besides, in fairness, half of the cost of the B&W option probably just has to do with the lights in the speakers anyway.
I actually think the lights in the B&W is a cheesy move. Seems like something else to have issues with when it has nothing to do with sound. Kind of gimmicky in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #25
akap007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5d

I have the B&W in my X7 and love it. I've streamed from Apple Music, YouTube music, and Amazon music and don't notice any real difference in sound quality but definitely want to try how Tidal will sound on this system.

Regarding bass levels, I've noticed that when I'm sitting in my garage the overall sound spectrum is unreal. When I'm on the road, I perceive a slight diminution in the power of the bass. That said, my wife still thinks the bass is overwhelming while driving on its highest setting (3D sound turned on and in the concert hall setting).

Lights in the tweeters are dope - not a gimmick in my opinion. Also cool that I can set the tweeter light color to be different than the rest of the ambient light color.

If you can afford it, get it. You won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #26
martyfrost
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
That would be very interesting.

The order-code, though, of the upgraded HK is identical on all models - option-code 688 on the 40i and listed as standard on the other two models.
Leave it to BMW to confuse the heck out of everyone.

If they are in fact the same Audio System (Upgraded HK for the 40i and standard HK for the m50i) then BMW is lying about the specs on one of these vehicles.

The 40i upgraded HK Audio lists the system as having 360 watts and 12 speakers.

The M50i lists the HK Audio system as having 464 watts and 16 speakers.

If they both have the same HK Audio "688" option number you would think they would be exactly the same Audio systems. So, where do we go from here? How do we find out what the true specs are for both the 40i and M50i that are using the same "688" option number?

Any takers on finding the answer? Enquiring minds want to know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
That would be very interesting.

The order-code, though, of the upgraded HK is identical on all models - option-code 688 on the 40i and listed as standard on the other two models.
Leave it to BMW to confuse the heck out of everyone.

If they are in fact the same Audio System (Upgraded HK for the 40i and standard HK for the m50i) then BMW is lying about the specs on one of these vehicles.

The 40i upgraded HK Audio lists the system as having 360 watts and 12 speakers.

The M50i lists the HK Audio system as having 464 watts and 16 speakers.

If they both have the same HK Audio "688" option number you would think they would be exactly the same Audio systems. So, where do we go from here? How do we find out what the true specs are for both the 40i and M50i that are using the same "688" option number?

Any takers on finding the answer? Enquiring minds want to know!
I second this request: Anyone with an X7 40i, HK package able to count the actual speakers and confirm if they have the multi-band EQ and surround?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #27
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by akap007 View Post
Lights in the tweeters are dope - not a gimmick in my opinion. Also cool that I can set the tweeter light color to be different than the rest of the ambient light color.
Curious minds want to know. What color combinations have you found that look cool, between the ambient light and the speaker lights?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #28
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw x7

I was looking into possibly swapping out components for the B&W one myself since I bought a 2020 40i off the lot that didn't have it.

It's quite possible realoem.com doesn't actually have the parts correct. I wasn't able to find the audio parts via getbmwparts for our model or on fcpeuro's site and is likely why the X7 isn't listed for vehicle fitment (yet).

You can see the parts here for the base Hi-Fi system, HK, B&W: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...-X7_40iX&mg=65

If you search for one of the part numbers on getbmwparts.com, you can see the layout like this one in the 3rd image- https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...er-65136813597

1. Base Hi-Fi system .. this one at least checks out as in it's consistent between the website & realoem.

1a. "standard features" for base model is listed on bmw's site as:

"HiFi Sound System with 10 speakers and 205-watt digital amplifier"

1b. If you spec out the base Hi-Fi system from realoem, you'd get the 10 total:

(2) tweeter + speaker in central dash
(4) tweeter + speaker in driver & passenger side panels
(2) woofer under driver & passenger side seats
(2) speaker in rear doors

2. Harmon Kardon system. Mismatch between bmw site & what I found on realoem.com.

2a. The BMW site lists this as a 12-speaker system:
Harman Kardon® surround sound system with 360-watts. This 12-speaker sound system includes 5 tweeters (2 tweeters with "Harman Kardon" designation in the mirror triangles), 5 midrange speakers and 2 central bass speakers located under the front seats. This multi-channel system makes the car's cabin a colorful sound experience.

2b. For the HK system.. using realoem.com and looking at "TOP-HIFI SYST" parts: 16 total

(4) tweeter + speaker in rear doors
(4) tweeter + speaker in d-pillar in cargo area

3. B&W system - BMW's site lists this as a 16 speaker system which matches what is on realoem.com's "HIGH END SOUND SYSTEM" parts

Confused much? So am I and it seems to be only isolated to the HK system which is what I have ha!

I guess the only way to know is to take it all apart =P
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #29
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020bmwx7 View Post
I was looking into possibly swapping out components for the B&W one myself since I bought a 2020 40i off the lot that didn't have it.

It's quite possible realoem.com doesn't actually have the parts correct. I wasn't able to find the audio parts via getbmwparts for our model or on fcpeuro's site and is likely why the X7 isn't listed for vehicle fitment (yet).

You can see the parts here for the base Hi-Fi system, HK, B&W: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...-X7_40iX&mg=65

If you search for one of the part numbers on getbmwparts.com, you can see the layout like this one in the 3rd image- https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...er-65136813597

1. Base Hi-Fi system .. this one at least checks out as in it's consistent between the website & realoem.

1a. "standard features" for base model is listed on bmw's site as:

"HiFi Sound System with 10 speakers and 205-watt digital amplifier"

1b. If you spec out the base Hi-Fi system from realoem, you'd get the 10 total:

(2) speaker in rear doors

2. Harmon Kardon system. Mismatch between bmw site & what I found on realoem.com.

2a. The BMW site lists this as a 12-speaker system:
Harman Kardon® surround sound system with 360-watts. This 12-speaker sound system includes 5 tweeters (2 tweeters with "Harman Kardon" designation in the mirror triangles), 5 midrange speakers and 2 central bass speakers located under the front seats. This multi-channel system makes the car's cabin a colorful sound experience.

2b. For the HK system.. using realoem.com and looking at "TOP-HIFI SYST" parts: 16 total

(4) tweeter + speaker in rear doors
(4) tweeter + speaker in d-pillar in cargo area

3. B&W system - BMW's site lists this as a 16 speaker system which matches what is on realoem.com's "HIGH END SOUND SYSTEM" parts

Confused much? So am I and it seems to be only isolated to the HK system which is what I have ha!

I guess the only way to know is to take it all apart =P
LOL... Let us know what you find out "IF" you decide to take it apart and see for yourself.

Is there no website or phone number we can call at BMW to get a straight answer on this? Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:22 AM   #30
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

What is pretty ridiculous? If I understand correctly you want to BMW and ask them if you can take apart their vehicle to retrofit a part? They don't want you doing that and secondly they'll tell you to speak with your local dealer. Why would they offer tech support on reconfiguring their product?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #31
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
What is pretty ridiculous? If I understand correctly you want to BMW and ask them if you can take apart their vehicle to retrofit a part? They don't want you doing that and secondly they'll tell you to speak with your local dealer. Why would they offer tech support on reconfiguring their product?
No, I think you misunderstood. The previous poster mentioned taking his apart to see what configuration he had in his vehicle.

My question is simply this: What are "ALL" the different configurations/Options for "ONLY" the Harman Kardon" stereo systems in "ALL" versions of the BMW X7. It's as simple as that!

Yet, the "Official" BMW ordering guide lists the exact same "Option" number for both the "Upgraded" Premium" and "Executive" packages that's listed as "Standard" equipment in the 50i. However, the 50i lists the "specifications"for a totally different audio system for the "EXACT" same option (#688), that's also specified in the"Premium" and Executive" packages for the 40i. Here's the rub... the online configurator describes two totally different audio systems between the 688 option on the 40i and the 50i.

How in the hell can a manufacturer list the exact same "Option" # for the X7 40i and X7 50i but each has totally different configurations.

Why would BMW use the same "Option" # for two totally different options? The online configurator describes two different audio systems for the same option number.

Attached is the Ordering guide. See for yourself. Look for option "688" on both the 40i and 50i. The 40i lists the "688" as an upgraded option while the 50i lists option "688" as standard equipment. Then go to the US BMW website here. https://www.bmwusa.com/ and build an X7 40i with the premium or executive package. Look at the description for the Harman Kardon audio system under the package description.

Next, build an X7 50i and look at the "Standard" features and take note of what's described for the "Standard" Harman Kardon audio system. TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT SYSTEMS! Yet, both the 40i and 50i build sheets say they are the same "688" option.

Confused yet?

I just want the facts! No one seems to be able to come up with documented factual information on these systems. The previous poster was probably just making light of how he might take his apart to find out what he has in his configuration.

I said it was "Ridiculous" that BMW, either intentionally or by lack of attention to detail, can't make this clear to prospective purchasers or dealers! A 100K plus car and a potential customer can't even find out what's what from the dealer or the manufacturer! That's what I'm calling "Ridiculous"!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2020 BMW X7 (G07) Rel 2019-05-22 - OrderingGuide.pdf (478.9 KB, 136 views)
Appreciate 0