forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Tanzanite blue owner question

02-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #1
seamusad
Rep
Drives: bmw x7

Tanzanite blue owner question

For those few of you who opted for tanzanite blue, any regrets?
It is my wife's favorite color, and I am on the verge of ordering an M50i in tanzanite with the cerium trim and v-spoke cerium wheels. I have seen the paint of other models and it's beautiful. It does, however, seem to have an almost excessive metallic element when in bright sunlight. I am also a bit concerned about how the paint will age. Will it look unusually poor with the inevitable swirls and scratches.
Finally, I'm also not in love with the cerium trim or the shadowline paired with the tanzanite. Why did BMW insist on so much non-body color trim?
It's not an inexpensive truck so I am hoping to avoid any regrets.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Depending on how you cosmetically maintain your vehicle - hand wash or running it through brushless car wash to detailing - dark metallic colors will pick up fine swirls over time. Even your dealer will create swirls from prepping your vehicle for delivery.

Get it ceramic coated (protect clear coat and paint with hydrophobic qualities) with or without PPF (for rock chips and road debuts) and it'll stay pristine for 5+ years. Also ceramic will prevent the cerium trim from always looking dirty with water spots or getting discolored.

Appreciate 1
MomoM3984.00
      02-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusad View Post
For those few of you who opted for tanzanite blue, any regrets?
It is my wife's favorite color, and I am on the verge of ordering an M50i in tanzanite with the cerium trim and v-spoke cerium wheels. I have seen the paint of other models and it's beautiful. It does, however, seem to have an almost excessive metallic element when in bright sunlight. I am also a bit concerned about how the paint will age. Will it look unusually poor with the inevitable swirls and scratches.
Finally, I'm also not in love with the cerium trim or the shadowline paired with the tanzanite. Why did BMW insist on so much non-body color trim?
It's not an inexpensive truck so I am hoping to avoid any regrets.
Agree on Ceramic Coat. They will do a paint correction prior to because even the factory isn’t perfect. PPF on the front if you want rock chip protection.

If you take care of it, like anything it will look good. Add the Ceramic and it will always look good.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

We picked up our Tanzanite Blue 40i last week and have no regrets. I love Carbon Black but this is my wife's car which I will drive about (30-40% of it's total miles) and she wanted something a bit more blue because her last two cars where white and my car is black. I think it will be similar to maintain like any other car - maybe even a touch easier than a true black car. My last three BMWs were black (one Jet and two Black Saphire) so I am used to dark colors. We also have a garage which helps a lot in the northeast.

As for the color I think it's a great color. It does change a bit in different lights from a very dark blue, almost purple at times in the garage, to a sparkling blue in strong sunlight. Beautiful color. We also have the M Sport package with shadow line trim which I love.

I have no idea why it costs $1,950 though - especially when on the lower priced cars it's the same charge but they also have to pay for metallic colors like CB that are fee on the X7. Clearly it didn't bother me enough to not get it though. We ordered ours too. There were very few TBs at dealerships.

Also, I think it would look great with the Cerium trim too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #5
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTJ99 View Post
We picked up our Tanzanite Blue 40i last week and have no regrets. I love Carbon Black but this is my wife's car which I will drive about (30-40% of it's total miles) and she wanted something a bit more blue because her last two cars where white and my car is black. I think it will be similar to maintain like any other car - maybe even a touch easier than a true black car. My last three BMWs were black (one Jet and two Black Saphire) so I am used to dark colors. We also have a garage which helps a lot in the northeast.

As for the color I think it's a great color. It does change a bit in different lights from a very dark blue, almost purple at times in the garage, to a sparkling blue in strong sunlight. Beautiful color. We also have the M Sport package with shadow line trim which I love.

I have not idea why it costs $1,950 though - especially when on the lower priced cars it's the same charge but they also have to pay for metallic colors like CB that are fee on the X7. Clearly it didn't bother me enough to not get it though. We ordered ours too. There were very few TBs at dealerships.

Also, I think it would look great with the Cerium trim too.

It’s what i ordered. The only other color I like more we can’t get in Azurite Black.

It changes colors, looks blue, black, purple. Stunning.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
seamusad
Rep

Thanks all for the feedback. We're moving forward with the order. I was even able to obtain some photos of a build with identical exterior options. I think my wife will be happy. Hope the paint choice doesn't delay the delivery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all for the feedback. We're moving forward with the order. I was even able to obtain some photos of a build with identical exterior options. I think my wife will be happy. Hope the paint choice doesn't delay the delivery.
It will. It delayed mine. Ordered 12/26 and went into production yesterday. They said it was the color. Could be Bs who knows.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #8
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

I ordered mine (white) on 12/30 and it went into production last week so even if yours was delayed it doesn’t look by much. Not sure if non-color options can also cause delays, mine is almost fully loaded (no night vision)
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #9
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
I ordered mine (white) on 12/30 and it went into production last week so even if yours was delayed it doesn’t look by much. Not sure if non-color options can also cause delays, mine is almost fully loaded (no night vision)
Same I ordered everything except night vision (didn’t make sense for where I live). Every other option.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:59 PM   #10
max78
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLE, Honda CR-V

Quote:

This may be also helpful
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #11
Art-CK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i '12 M6 Cab '11 X5M

Garage List
Thanks for sharing, very helpful video! I have Tanzanite on order, with the shadow line, but mine is waiting for April production changeover. Wife wants to get full Tartufo leather which I was told will be available starting in April. This wait is killing me!
2011 X5M - Alpine White & Black
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #12
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We custom ordered our TB x40i on 12/31 and it only took 26 days from order to delivery so the paint shouldn't hold it up. Your dealer's allocation spot is really one of the biggest drivers.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #13
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We custom ordered our TB x40i on 12/31 and it only took 26 days from order to delivery so the paint shouldn't hold it up. Your dealer's allocation spot is really one of the biggest drivers.
Yeah I didn’t believe the color story quite frankly.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #14
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max78 View Post

This may be also helpful
So glad I picked TB what a gorgeous color. My other favorite is Azurite Black.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
So glad I picked TB what a gorgeous color. My other favorite is Azurite Black.

It's been rainy and gloomy for the past two weeks in the Northeast and I haven't even had a chance to see it in full sun yet!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #16
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's been rainy and gloomy for the past two weeks in the Northeast and I haven't even had a chance to see it in full sun yet!
Get ready because it’s awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Having seen the X7 Tanzanite Blue II in person, it's simply stunning. So much so, that it's actually giving me second thoughts on ordering my Mineral White. But I'm sticking with MW.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #18
djxilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550xi, 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-CK View Post
Thanks for sharing, very helpful video! I have Tanzanite on order, with the shadow line, but mine is waiting for April production changeover. Wife wants to get full Tartufo leather which I was told will be available starting in April. This wait is killing me!
Any more details you can share about the April changeover? Where did you hear about this?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #19
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Pic of mine in partial sun. Color really pops in the sun but overall it's a nice deep navy blue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #20
seamusad
Rep

Quote:
I think you are right. I had not considered that. I'm ordering this week if I can finalize my desired discount. I wonder if they will be candid about any potential delays related to their allocation.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #21
Art-CK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i '12 M6 Cab '11 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxilo View Post
Any more details you can share about the April changeover? Where did you hear about this?
I'm in Toronto and all of the dealers here are saying full merino in Tartufo will become available starting with April production. May just be limited to Canadian market. I placed my order and waiting to finalize once full details are available. BMW blog also has article on this. https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/02/02/new-bmw-individual-leathers-and-trims-added-to-x5-x6-and-x7-configurators/
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #22
djxilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550xi, 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-CK View Post
I'm in Toronto and all of the dealers here are saying full merino in Tartufo will become available starting with April production. May just be limited to Canadian market. I placed my order and waiting to finalize once full details are available. BMW blog also has article on this. https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/02/02/new-bmw-individual-leathers-and-trims-added-to-x5-x6-and-x7-configurators/
Ahh thanks for sharing. Been holding off on purchasing in anticipation of the changes per the BMW blog. Hopefully the US gets the updates as well!
Appreciate 0