BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Anyone tint their X7?

05-01-2020, 02:23 AM   #23
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frinckster View Post
Hmmm.. didn't think of that or did not notice any difference on my instrument panel. My old car was 2019 X3 which my wife drives now did not notice that autodimming on her vehicle since it was tinted last year. Prolly it's the same sensors that the x7 has but luckily I did not notice anything dimming.

I have a good 45-1hr drove from the tint shop to my house and did not notice anything weird on my instrument panel, except the small bubles on the screen which is because the tint has ti cure for 2-3days.
Go park in the shade somewhere and wait a few seconds while looking at the screens. They get way to dark in my opinion. They're still readable but should be much brighter. It takes a couple of seconds for the screens to dim.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #24
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Hmmm.. didn't think of that or did not notice any difference on my instrument panel. My old car was 2019 X3 which my wife drives now did not notice that autodimming on her vehicle since it was tinted last year. Prolly it's the same sensors that the x7 has but luckily I did not notice anything dimming.

I have a good 45-1hr drove from the tint shop to my house and did not notice anything weird on my instrument panel, except the small bubles on the screen which is because the tint has ti cure for 2-3days.
Go park in the shade somewhere and wait a few seconds while looking at the screens. They get way to dark in my opinion. They're still readable but should be much brighter. It takes a couple of seconds for the screens to dim.
Are your headlights on auto mode ?
Try both ways and see which one helps
      05-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #25
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw x3, BMW X7 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes they are on auto mode. I will try again next time I go out.
      05-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #26
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Even if the headlights are off the screens are still way to dim in the shade for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #27
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Even if the headlights are off the screens are still way to dim in the shade for my liking.
This was when I pulled in a car garage today. I did not notice any change on my instrument panel.
Attached Images

05-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #28
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This was when I pulled in a car garage today. I did not notice any change on my instrument panel.
Try turning your headlights off and see what it looks like. If I drive down a road with lots of trees shading the vehicle but still not dark enough for the headlights to automatically turn on it's way dimmer than it needs to be.

Being in a parking garage would essentially be the same as driving in the dark with headlights on. It's fine during the night time with headlights on.

Since you live in Florida you may not have any neighborhoods with lots of trees and shade to drive around in. Therefore, you will probably never see the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #29
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Try turning your headlights off and see what it looks like. If I drive down a road with lots of trees shading the vehicle but still not dark enough for the headlights to automatically turn on it's way dimmer than it needs to be.

Being in a parking garage would essentially be the same as driving in the dark with headlights on. It's fine during the night time with headlights on.

Since you live in Florida you may not have any neighborhoods with lots of trees and shade to drive around in. Therefore, you will probably never see the issue.
Probably not, it did not bother me. I'm not sure if it has something to do with it, I also tinted my windshiled with Airblue 80. I noticed this time the headlight turned on just right after I entered the car garage were as usually it does not turn on the headlight when I go to car garage midday.
      05-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #30
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep

This are the 2 comparisons I did after leaving the car parking garage. 1st pic. I turned off the auto headlight and the second one I turned back the auto headlight on. In comparison I did not noticed any change on the brightness.
Attached Images

05-02-2020, 09:54 PM   #31
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This are the 2 comparisons I did after leaving the car parking garage. 1st pic. I turned off the auto headlight and the second one I turned back the auto headlight on. In comparison I did not noticed any change on the brightness.
Interesting. What model year vehicle and what iDrive version are you on? Your profile shows that you are driving a 2019 X3.

I'm seeing it on my 2020 X7 on iDrive Software version 03/2020.31. I'll try and remember to get some photos.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #32
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

So ..... picked up my X7 today, no real scientific tests but my screens do not dim that much that its a problem for me.

I have 50% tints and yes they do dim a little but I would expect this as the interior is slightly darker. I certainly dont see it as a problem.

The software is 03/2020.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #33
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. What model year vehicle and what iDrive version are you on? Your profile shows that you are driving a 2019 X3.

I'm seeing it on my 2020 X7 on iDrive Software version 03/2020.31. I'll try and remember to get some photos.
Hey Mitch57, my wife drives the X3 now (I will update my profile soon). I have a 2019 x7 and my idrive version is still 07/2019. I tried checking the OTA update but there is nothing to update. I tried to check BMW service for an update but the are refusing it and says that updates are OTA.
      05-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #34
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
So ..... picked up my X7 today, no real scientific tests but my screens do not dim that much that its a problem for me.

I have 50% tints and yes they do dim a little but I would expect this as the interior is slightly darker. I certainly dont see it as a problem.

The software is 03/2020.
Same here. Congratulations on your Ultimate driving experience!

I wish I will get an newer software than my 07/2019.
      05-04-2020, 01:54 AM   #35
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I understand your concern,
Yet are they actually functional to begin with, while beams are on Vs off?

If it's functioning properly, then you might want to adjust the screen brightness, I know I might be stating the obvious, yet give it a shot either from the iDrive or the disc dimmer switch next to the headlight switch assembly.
      05-04-2020, 01:59 AM   #36
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is interesting
Something seems off
I have a MY20 and iDrive 11.2019.50
And there's at least ~30% difference between shaded and unshaded conditions in the odometer display. This also applies to the HUD.

I'll try to take pictures in both conditions and share them
      05-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #37
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is interesting
Something seems off
I have a MY20 and iDrive 11.2019.50
And there's at least ~30% difference between shaded and unshaded conditions in the odometer display. This also applies to the HUD.

I'll try to take pictures in both conditions and share them
Probably you just need to manually adjust the brightness from the control panel or the scroll knob on the side of your dashboard. I think it's been a week now since I tinted my x7 but no issues with the brightness driving in daytime and driving inside a tunnel or parking garage. I'm still happy with the result.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      08-18-2020, 11:18 PM   #38
DSM517
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30i (loaded)

I am planning to get an X7 in March of 21, when current lease is up. I am considering tinting the windows in the front. Currently in NY you can't have less than 70% on the front windows. Since 2017 NY checks tint when you get your car inspected. Anyone from NY have theirs tinted and how much? What happened at inspection?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #39
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM517 View Post
I am planning to get an X7 in March of 21, when current lease is up. I am considering tinting the windows in the front. Currently in NY you can't have less than 70% on the front windows. Since 2017 NY checks tint when you get your car inspected. Anyone from NY have theirs tinted and how much? What happened at inspection?
I'm in NY

The air 80 will pass right at 70. If you don't want to cut it that close, go air 90.

I went with photosync 75 which measured 66. I'm assuming that is close enough and I'll be OK but haven't had inspection yet. The photosync is much better heat protection for the 4 degrees of vlt difference and I thought worth taking the risk. I'm assuming it's like speeding where if you're going 4 miles above the limit, you aren't likely to get pulled over.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #40
DSM517
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
I'm in NY

The air 80 will pass right at 70. If you don't want to cut it that close, go air 90.

I went with photosync 75 which measured 66. I'm assuming that is close enough and I'll be OK but haven't had inspection yet. The photosync is much better heat protection for the 4 degrees of vlt difference and I thought worth taking the risk. I'm assuming it's like speeding where if you're going 4 miles above the limit, you aren't likely to get pulled over.
That sounds good. Where in NY are you? I know where I live they ticket for everything when parked? I was borrowing my friend's Bentley, he did not have the front plate on, I parked for less than 20 minutes and came back with a ticket for no front plate. That's why I am worried about the tint as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #41
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
When you say front windows, are you referring to the windshield or the driver/passenger front door windows?

The driver/passenger front door windows come from the factory with 70% (min) light transmission. So they are already slightly tinted (although the type of tint they use does not really block any heat)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #42
DSM517
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
When you say front windows, are you referring to the windshield or the driver/passenger front door windows?

The driver/passenger front door windows come from the factory with 70% (min) light transmission. So they are already slightly tinted (although the type of tint they use does not really block any heat)
I am referring to the driver/passenger front windows.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #43
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
I am referring to the driver/passenger front windows.
Those are already roughly 70% tinted from the factory so if your local laws prohibit anything darker then you likely can't install any tint on those windows.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #44
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I'm in NYC.

The front windows are not 70. They were in the 90s. I had them measured. Can't remember exact. It was low 90s. The back was in the 20s

That's why photosync 75 came out to 66.

I'm giving vlt.
Appreciate 0