BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Lotus F1 reveals first photos of chassis

10-15-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
Lotus F1 reveals first photos of chassis

This week the team has released the first photos of the team's chassis. The car is designed by Lotus F1 chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne and the team's technical partners and is already heading into the windtunnel with a scale model of its first Formula 1 car. The Malaysian team is currently based in the UK but plans to set up a factory in Malaysia too at some point.
Attached Images

10-15-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

those pics are of the wind tunnel scale model.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVlad View Post
This week the team has released the first photos of the team's chassis. The car is designed by Lotus F1 chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne and the team's technical partners and is already heading into the windtunnel with a scale model of its first Formula 1 car. The Malaysian team is currently based in the UK but plans to set up a factory in Malaysia too at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
those pics are of the wind tunnel scale model.
Thank you, captain obvious . . . the OP clearly stated scale model . . .
      10-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

10-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List

back to topic...its good to see lotus have an early start to develop the 2010 car...
hopefully they will have the rules "intrepret" to their advantage (like Brawn)....

I wanna see Lotus on the podium again!
      10-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliesen View Post
Thank you, captain obvious . . . the OP clearly stated scale model . . .
yes --- I read "Lotus F1 reveals first photos of chassis" .... and was expecting photos of a 'scale model' ... good job thanks

and how is this 'Malaysian' team a 'Lotus' .... when they were being sued for the name rights by the Chapman family??
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep

Lotus Cars (ie, the Elise/Exige/etc) is now owned by Proton, a Malaysian based company. Proton is an investor in this new team. Colin Chapman's family would appear not to have a leg to stand on, in my opinion. There is also a "Classic Team Lotus" that owns the rights to all of the old Lotus racing trademarks, which is not involved in this F1 attempt.
      10-18-2009, 05:11 AM   #8
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lotus Cars (ie, the Elise/Exige/etc) is now owned by Proton, a Malaysian based company. Proton is an investor in this new team. Colin Chapman's family would appear not to have a leg to stand on, in my opinion. There is also a "Classic Team Lotus" that owns the rights to all of the old Lotus racing trademarks, which is not involved in this F1 attempt.
its a good thing that it's "in your opinion" ... cause thats the same as J.R.R. Tolkien's Family vs. New Line Cinema & Friends ..... as well as Jimi Hendrix Family vs. whatever label was trying not to pay them.

The Lotus name should be, at the least.. sanctioned by the Chapman family and if the courts see it "in my opinion" .... you and your corporate Proton buddies wont have a leg to stand on ...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

The spirit is different, these "Lotus F1" guys will probably be backbenchers till management decides that they cannot afford it anymore. It is a opening a needless chapter in Lotus's glorious history.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #10
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:

The Lotus name should be, at the least.. sanctioned by the Chapman family and if the courts see it "in my opinion" .... you and your corporate Proton buddies wont have a leg to stand on ...
There might be a case in this. Just to bring it up, when BMW announced intentions to buy RR, the name Rolls Royce and the Symbol were property of the engine company (and were to be licensed for a cheap 40 million pounds) but the Spirit of Ecstasy and the shape of the radiator were property of Rolls Royce Motors, the Car company (then owned by VW). They had to be bought back with arrangement.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep

Quote:
its a good thing that it's "in your opinion" ... cause thats the same as J.R.R. Tolkien's Family vs. New Line Cinema & Friends ..... as well as Jimi Hendrix Family vs. whatever label was trying not to pay them.

Chill out, man - you asked a question, I gave you an answer. Sorry I took my own time to do a google search you could have done yourself to get an answer to a question you were too lazy to find on your own.

And frankly, I don't see this as anywhere near the same thing as the Tolkien or Hendrix family issues - in those cases, people were making money from using things those gentlemen actually CREATED. This new team is not trying to run the Lotus 49 or one of the JPS cars - so Chapman had NOTHING to do with the work being done to field a car in 2010. If you're upset at the use of the name, then you should also be upset that McLaren is using that name - after all, Bruce has passed on and isn't involved today.

Bottom line is, the rights to use the Lotus name belong to different people today than it did before - and they're using it. If you don't like it, root against them, but it won't change the legal aspect.

And for the record - I don't agree with them using Lotus myself, as they are attempting to cash in on the legacy. But that doesn't mean it's not LEGAL for them to do so . . . .
      10-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Chill out, man - you asked a question, I gave you an answer. Sorry I took my own time to do a google search you could have done yourself to get an answer to a question you were too lazy to find on your own.

And frankly, I don't see this as anywhere near the same thing as the Tolkien or Hendrix family issues - in those cases, people were making money from using things those gentlemen actually CREATED. This new team is not trying to run the Lotus 49 or one of the JPS cars - so Chapman had NOTHING to do with the work being done to field a car in 2010. If you're upset at the use of the name, then you should also be upset that McLaren is using that name - after all, Bruce has passed on and isn't involved today.

Bottom line is, the rights to use the Lotus name belong to different people today than it did before - and they're using it. If you don't like it, root against them, but it won't change the legal aspect.

And for the record - I don't agree with them using Lotus myself, as they are attempting to cash in on the legacy. But that doesn't mean it's not LEGAL for them to do so . . . .

wtf??
u r a konfusing chap
u approach with a snarky 'captain obvious' post .... then argue against my points but in the end agree ??? .... i guess hippocratic insolence still has a place?

btw, the initial 'question' was retorical and meant as a sign of dismay .... but u googled & learned something .... so this worthless thread stands corrected.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep

Quote:
wtf??
u r a konfusing chap
u approach with a snarky 'captain obvious' post .... then argue against my points but in the end agree ??? .... i guess hippocratic insolence still has a place?

btw, the initial 'question' was retorical and meant as a sign of dismay .... but u googled & learned something .... so this worthless thread stands corrected.
You are incapable of using proper grammar and spelling, and you say I'm confusing? I'm not a doctor, nor is this a medical discussion, so I have no idea what hippocratic anything has to do with it.

My point is, legally right does not always equate to morally right - legally, they have every right to use the Lotus name, they bought it. Morally, it's a bit more murky because there is no real direct link to the original Lotus F1 team. Your so-called rhetorical question brought up the legal aspect, so I responded that way.

You then cite legal cases that are completely different to the question of the Lotus name, and really cannot be used as precedent.

So in the end, yes, I agree with your opinion that they shouldn't use Lotus, and disagree that it is a legal issue - and your supporting arguments are total crap.
      10-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S6 + 2017 340 M sport

Quote:
You are incapable of using proper grammar and spelling, and you say I'm confusing? I'm not a doctor, nor is this a medical discussion, so I have no idea what hippocratic anything has to do with it.

My point is, legally right does not always equate to morally right - legally, they have every right to use the Lotus name, they bought it. Morally, it's a bit more murky because there is no real direct link to the original Lotus F1 team. Your so-called rhetorical question brought up the legal aspect, so I responded that way.

You then cite legal cases that are completely different to the question of the Lotus name, and really cannot be used as precedent.

So in the end, yes, I agree with your opinion that they shouldn't use Lotus, and disagree that it is a legal issue - and your supporting arguments are total crap.
owned
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #15
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
and your supporting arguments are total crap.
yes ... yes ... i see your point .... well said .... i retire
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #16
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
yes ... yes ... i see your point .... well said .... i retire
He did own you... So just shut up now