BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) [Racing Series]--->F1

04-13-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lightbulb [Racing Series]--->F1

i find the sport of f1 to be fascinating from the drivers to the machinery but always thought about what it takes to become an f1 driver. is it something that can be trained for or just natural skill?

do you think f1 is more car or driver skilled based? imo i think if you give a solid car like redbull to a moderate driver he will not be too bad and with practice and solid car will be great.

can the guys that race in le mans (gt2, gt3, prototypes, etc) transition to f1 easily?

PS: with the recent senna movie that came out, does his cousin bruno senna (i believe that is the name) intend to bein f1 in future?

i know there are some hardcore f1 fans on here and im looking forward to reading your responses.
      04-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
i find the sport of f1 to be fascinating from the drivers to the machinery but always thought about what it takes to become an f1 driver. is it something that can be trained for or just natural skill?
Years of training and natural skill.

Quote:
do you think f1 is more car or driver skilled based? imo i think if you give a solid car like redbull to a moderate driver he will not be too bad and with practice and solid car will be great.
You definitely need to be driving for one of the top teams to have a chance to win a championship in F1.

As far as driver skill vs solid car, look at Redbull. Vettel seems to be much quicker in the RB7 than Webber. Although some would argue Vettels car get a little more attention.

Lets just say some of the drivers are little more gifted than others on the grid.

Quote:
can the guys that race in le mans (gt2, gt3, prototypes, etc) transition to f1 easily?
Yes, guys can make the transition to F1 from other series. Paul di Resta is currently giving it a go in the Force India car. His background is in DTM, where he was quite successful.

Quote:
PS: with the recent senna movie that came out, does his cousin bruno senna (i believe that is the name) intend to bein f1 in future?
Aryton nephew Bruno Senna had a 1 year stint in F1 last year. He raced for Hispania Racing. There cars are far from competitive. Some believe he deserves another chance, who knows if he will get one.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Most drivers started go-karting (not the electric one like K1) when they're like 8 years old or so...then move on to junior formula series (like SV in Formula BMW), then keep advancing in various series and finally GP2 or become test drivers/reserve drivers for F1 teams. But most important of all, make sure you shine in those junior series because many scouts are watching.

To win a championship, you need to be in a big team, consistent car, you're mentally strong, and some luck too. However, smaller teams are more concerned about the sponsors you bring to the team...
      04-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

both but the driver's skill will always show, take for instance kamui kobayashi
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
As stated before, without the right car or team, you won't win a championship. JPM stated, while he was in F1, that all the drivers, given the same car, would be within 1-2 seconds of each other.

If you want to raise a kid to get into F1... unless he/she is really talented, prepare to shell out a ton of money... Paul Stoddart and Flavio Briatore used to have a knack for picking talent.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Yes, guys can make the transition to F1 from other series. Paul di Resta is currently giving it a go in the Force India car. His background is in DTM, where he was quite successful.
This is not always the case however. Di Resta actually has a history of single seat racing and Karting. He choose to go DTM inbetween, but he is not new to single seat racing.

It depends a lot on which series you are coming from. F1 really requires the driver to be in peak condition in every possible way. Mental, physical, mental while under physical fatigue and stress. Not to mention, you have to be able to at least fit into the cars. There really isn't much room in the cockpit.
      04-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Bruno Senna is currently a test driver for Lotus Renault.
      04-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #8
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
This is not always the case however. Di Resta actually has a history of single seat racing and Karting. He choose to go DTM inbetween, but he is not new to single seat racing.
He was a team mate of Vettel back in the day and was quicker than him. But he has been in DTM for the past 4 years, so I would call it a transition. Plus F1 competition is like no other single seater racing out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Being an F1 driver is kinda like being an Olympic athlete. You need to get spotted by a talent scout at about 8 - 10 years old and then you are put into a training program for the next 10 years of your life in hopes of making it. They go for raw talent first.

Was it last year or the year before at the Canadian GP that Ferrari signed that 9 year old carting champion into their training program?

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
Brown
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

both but the driver's skill will always show, take for instance kamui kobayashi

Microsoft Office 2010 Microsoft Office 2007
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #11
johanness
Banned