BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #45
dustinst22
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH007 View Post
I just simply explain to them that i will not pay it, they want to sell cars.

If you just stand up and say thats the way it is, i will buy the car RIGHT NOW if you give me what i want. They hardly ever turn you down.

Another good tactic i like to use is the internet. I get online and email 2 to 4 dealers, get quotes from all of them. Then i take the lowest quote and give it to all the other dealers, I tell them if they can beat it, i will buy from them.

They will usually do what you want. Even if you want to order an exact car, you just start with the quotes, and then whoever is the lowest, just go in, sign the papers, and order your car from them.

Or when i really feel like getting dirty, i go and find the newest salesman i can, with little or no sales...he will ALWAYS cut you a deal, because he is trying to build a repuation and sell his first cars....its a mean thing to do, but oh well. They'll get over it. (This is the approach i used for my 335i coupe, I got it for 1000 under MSRP, special ordered, with Euro Delivery, it was great)
Good tactics. Keep in mind guys, you can find out the actual dealer cost of the car online. Invoice is not the actual cost of the car. So when you're refusing to pay the destination (which is a real cost to the dealer), you're not really taking off the destination cost which is a real cost. All they're doing is taking it off somewhere else where they had already jacked up the price. I am in sales, and the best sales technique is to make the customer think they're not paying for something -- hook, line, and sinker

How much you can negotiate completely depends on the demand of the car. For instance, my Ford F150 I bought at 4 K below invoice! On the flip side of the coin, a few years ago you could not purchase a Mini Cooper S for below MSRP, no matter how much you "negotiated". The dealer would just tell you to "EAD" because the car was in extremely high demand.

Simple economics -- supply and demand determine price. Before you negotiate, understand what the supply and demand of that model are.

I don't know how much we'll be able to negotiate this car honestly. It will depend how in demand the 1 series is. For awhile at least, it will be very difficult to get below MSRP.

My best advice is to always use the fleet dealer if you can. That's where you'll get the best bargains.

And always get your financing somewhere else and negotiate that separately (unless the dealer has an "unbeatable" financing program, which they sometimes do). But the financing should be a completely separate negotation from the sale of the car. Dealers combine the two to confuse customers and make more money. Similar to when you purchase a home.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #46
Séve
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lips
Seve, have you actually used that stuff before? If so does it really smell like new car leather? I've tried some other things and they never smelled right to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k
Your so right. I dont think anything can mimic the real "new leather smell" I read something a few months ago that explains what that is and its really not good for you...oh well I love it. Any input Seve?
I was just being a smart ass. :biggrin: Sorry, I've personally never used it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #47
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinst22 View Post
My best advice is to always use the fleet dealer if you can. That's where you'll get the best bargains.
What's a fleet dealer and how do I know which one are fleet dealers?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 10:34 PM   #48
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Ahh, that is weak seve I already went out and bought a lifetime supply of that crap haha
      07-14-2007, 12:11 AM   #49
dustinst22
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
What's a fleet dealer and how do I know which one are fleet dealers?
The fleet dealer is the person who sells the cars in bulk, usually to large companies. They sell the cars at a very low profit margin and the fleet dealer isn't a typical "sales person" looking to rape you for every dollar.

Just ask for the fleet dealer when you go into a dealer. You can also deal with them through email many times.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2007, 07:52 AM   #50
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

You can also use an autobroker, they work well when you are looking for a new car that is hard to find i.e. a new 1 series. I used one on my 350z in 03 and it worked out great.
      07-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #51
brfbmw128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

call me simple, cheap or frugle, but; i am compltely satisfied with base-model cars...does that make me a nerd....manual tranny, floormats...out the door:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 12:01 AM   #52
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUKnight View Post
I cans ee the auto/manual split at 70/30
Mike
That's probably more realistic.

There's going to be a lot of people picking up the 128i that have never even sat it a manual.

I definitely expect the 1's to be popular with people buying them for performance but chances are even more will be bought by people who want the label and wouldn't normally pay extra for performance.

I could probably name 3 guys that I know who would buy and actually drive a manual 135i. I could name 10x as many ex-sorority girls that would pickup a 128i and most of them can't drive manual.
Appreciate 0