BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Report: BMW X7 to be Announced at Spartanburg Event on March 28

03-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #133
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
I would imagine this is a bigger vehicle and a 7 seater that would make much more sense than what they are trying to "shove" as a 7 seater today with X5...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #134
M5Pilot
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

'Bout $&@#-ing time!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #135
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I never understood how people come up with these estimates. Yeah, BMW is really going to create a 93k 7-Seater to go up against the GL that costs only 63k. A better estimate is it's going to be probably around 67 or 68k which is falls in line with other BMW/Mercedes competitive models, BMW being a bit more expensive.
Now that's amusing. I invite you to go find an MB GL that stickers at 63K anywhere and see what the car actually has in it. No leather, no sunroof, no satellite radio, no nav, black or white only, no back up camera or safety options of any kind. Its like the $43k 335i with nothing in it. We have a 2011 GL 350 that stickered at $73550 and we skipped many useful options to keep the cost reasonable.
You missed the point. The person I quoted assumed that the STOCK price was going to cost the same as a M5. I didn't say it couldn't get that high, of course it will once you tack on options but there's no point in comparing prices with options, it varies too much which is why I used base/stock prices.

Besides, whats stopping anyone from ordering and waiting for a base model?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #136
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls
Quote:
Quote:
I never understood how people come up with these estimates. Yeah, BMW is really going to create a 93k 7-Seater to go up against the GL that costs only 63k. A better estimate is it's going to be probably around 67 or 68k which is falls in line with other BMW/Mercedes competitive models, BMW being a bit more expensive.
Now that's amusing. I invite you to go find an MB GL that stickers at 63K anywhere and see what the car actually has in it. No leather, no sunroof, no satellite radio, no nav, black or white only, no back up camera or safety options of any kind. Its like the $43k 335i with nothing in it. We have a 2011 GL 350 that stickered at $73550 and we skipped many useful options to keep the cost reasonable.
You missed the point. The person I quoted assumed that the STOCK price was going to cost the same as a M5. I didn't say it couldn't get that high, of course it will once you tack on options but there's no point in comparing prices with options, it varies too much which is why I used base/stock prices.

I think you missed the point. Given the real world prices of the gl series, and also the Lexus LX which bases at 83 k, a price approaching M5 territory is much more likely than a suv in the 60's,
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #137
darksilkx1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:

Take a look at the full BMW USA product lineup page on the US site, you will not find a lower and higher series line (e.g 3 and 5, 5 and 7, or X3 and X5) with overlapping MSRP price points. A base X5 50i is 68k. You will probably not see an X7 priced at the 67 or 68k you quoted. You will probably see something with the base model priced closer to a 740i which is 74k (assuming it actually comes with a V6 and they don't decide to make a V8 the base engine). Of course we all know how easily you can add 10k plus in BMW options - and you are already north of 80 grand. I can very easily see the base price on a V8 model of the X7 starting close to the 90 grand of an M5 after all, a Range Rover HSE starts at 89k and a supercharged at 100k. You can bet that is one of the benchmarks BMW is looking at. If that isn't the point, they would instead be building an X5 LWB.

Last edited by darksilkx1; 03-24-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #138
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
100% correct. My wife's X5 with the N55 was about $63k and if I recall correctly, the "starting point" was $47k or so?

You see this thought process of "wishful thinking" all the time from the armchair buyers who obviously never buy these cars. There are people on the M3/M4 boards who think the $67k M4 base is reasonable when basic math says the $75k will be a stripper and tax/tag gets you to $80k. The same nonsense seems rampant in the Macan crowd as well.....except for the one guy who actually did order one at > $90k!

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #139
P1et
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: my wife's cars

The US market can probably use something like this. Won't be too popular in Europe though...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #140
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Take a look at the full BMW USA product lineup page on the US site, you will not find a lower and higher series line (e.g 3 and 5, 5 and 7, or X3 and X5) with overlapping MSRP price points. A base X5 50i is 68k. You will probably not see an X7 priced at the 67 or 68k you quoted. You will probably see something with the base model priced closer to a 740i which is 74k (assuming it actually comes with a V6 and they don't decide to make a V8 the base engine). Of course we all know how easily you can add 10k plus in BMW options - and you are already north of 80 grand. I can very easily see the base price on a V8 model of the X7 starting close to the 90 grand of an M5 after all, a Range Rover HSE starts at 89k and a supercharged at 100k. You can bet that is one of the benchmarks BMW is looking at. If that isn't the point, they would instead be building an X5 LWB.
The 68k I estimated was optimistic and was in line with what the GL was starting at. I could see 70k starting but no way would a X7 start at M5 prices and that much higher than the GL starting price.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #141
ChilliWilli
Chillin' like a villain
Rep
Drives: Like i stole it

Also glad to hear of the jobs that will yield from this. In the meantime...

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #142
330indy
CCA member
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 + e92

Just saw on PBS' NBR the X4 will be built in Spartanburg as well.
3 pedals all, Redline fluids
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #143
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
The US market can probably use something like this. Won't be too popular in Europe though...
Depends on where in Europe you're thinking about, plenty of Mercedes GL and Range Rovers in Russia, you also see a lot of Range Rovers in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #144
P1et
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: my wife's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
Depends on where in Europe you're thinking about, plenty of Mercedes GL and Range Rovers in Russia, you also see a lot of Range Rovers in the UK.
I agree with you there. But in Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Belgium (where I'm from), France, Italy, Spain, etc. you probably won't see many GLs, X7s, and the like. My parents live in Amsterdam and my dad drives a new F15. Driving that around in the Netherlands is nothing but a hassle, unless you stick to the motorways.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #145
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Don't forget live from Spatanburg tomorrow.

http://www.audiosolutionsusa.com/bmw-032814.html

http://www.autonews.com/article/201....manufacturing#