BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Quirks and Irks

05-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #23
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
@toddwalton damn. I was looking forward to that. Don't know much about the coding stuff. Is it easy?
Yes, takes about 30 minutes in one of those body shops you find in a rental industrial park. They plug a laptop into the computer port under the drivers dash, run some code, and make any tweaks you want. They'll give you a menu of what's available. The guy near me who does mine sent me these options for the X7:

Good afternoon. Great to hear from you and congrats on the X7!! Attached is a list of options for your vehicle. We'll continue to add more updates in the coming months.

Some of the available options for G07 now include:
dvd/video in motion
auto start stop memory
tailgate closing
disabling interior alarm sensor
disabling seatbelt chimes
disabling seatbelt reminders in the cluster
disabling the obd alarm
set seat memory to remember last setting

We charge $170 for the service. This quote includes UNLIMITED CODING options - as many or as few items as you would like. Also includes free recoding as long as you own your vehicle. You'll get free recoding as more items become available as well.

Perfectly safe, on the up and up, there is a coding section on several BMW forums and the people there can tell you who is reliable in your area. Its also something you can do on your own with a special cable and your own laptop, but I don't mess with that, I just get a local expert to do it.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2019, 12:05 AM   #24
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
@toddwalton damn. I was looking forward to that. Don't know much about the coding stuff. Is it easy?
Yes, takes about 30 minutes in one of those body shops you find in a rental industrial park. They plug a laptop into the computer port under the drivers dash, run some code, and make any tweaks you want. They'll give you a menu of what's available. The guy near me who does mine sent me these options for the X7:

Good afternoon. Great to hear from you and congrats on the X7!! Attached is a list of options for your vehicle. We'll continue to add more updates in the coming months.

Some of the available options for G07 now include:
dvd/video in motion
auto start stop memory
tailgate closing
disabling interior alarm sensor
disabling seatbelt chimes
disabling seatbelt reminders in the cluster
disabling the obd alarm
set seat memory to remember last setting

We charge $170 for the service. This quote includes UNLIMITED CODING options - as many or as few items as you would like. Also includes free recoding as long as you own your vehicle. You'll get free recoding as more items become available as well.

Perfectly safe, on the up and up, there is a coding section on several BMW forums and the people there can tell you who is reliable in your area. Its also something you can do on your own with a special cable and your own laptop, but I don't mess with that, I just get a local expert to do it.
If you wait a bit longer the BimmerCode app will most likely have all of these and be cheaper. It is extremely simple to do with that.
      05-10-2019, 06:06 AM   #25
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[/QUOTE]
If you wait a bit longer the BimmerCode app will most likely have all of these and be cheaper. It is extremely simple to do with that.[/QUOTE]

Is it just not out yet for the x7?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #26
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

If you wait a bit longer the BimmerCode app will most likely have all of these and be cheaper. It is extremely simple to do with that.[/QUOTE]

Is it just not out yet for the x7?[/QUOTE]
It lists X7 coding options, just not all of the ones above like Video in Motion.
      05-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #27
fdeschouwe
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 5.0M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
If you wait a bit longer the BimmerCode app will most likely have all of these and be cheaper. It is extremely simple to do with that.
Is it just not out yet for the x7?[/QUOTE]
It lists X7 coding options, just not all of the ones above like Video in Motion.[/QUOTE]
Learning alot from all of you and appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #28
fdeschouwe
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 5.0M

Garage List
Great list Todd!
I fully agree on these. FYI on the center console cupholder lid. It is simple to operate once you know about how. No pulling or sliding, just push down and the spring action does the rest. You are correct on the functionality of the compartment: sucks...LOL
If it wasn't for the way the car handles and drives I would have given up and made a U-turn back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #29
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Another gripe: the seatbelt height isn’t adjustable. I’m suuuper short and it hits me right across the neck. And there’s not a damn thing I can do about it. The GLS seatbelt can be moved up or down.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #30
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
There is one other option. There are a few well known coders in bimmerpost who can do remote coding. You can buy an ENET cable from amazon or ebay, and hook it up to your laptop. The coder can connect to your laptop with TeamViewer and do remote coding.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #31
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
No remember last position on auto start/stop - BMW used to, as a courtesy upon request, code the car so that those of us who hate the start/stop feature could have it disabled. Now they don't do it. And the button on the X7 is small, slippery, and doesn't take on the first attempt half the time.
You probably have to live with this, as this is going to be the way forward for almost all manufacturers.

This is due to the way EPA calculates fuel economy ratings.
If the system can be temporary turned off like what we have today, EPA ratings is not affected.

However, if the system can be permanently turned off, then EPA would test the fuel economy with the system on, and also with the system off, and then take an average of the two numbers for the official fuel economy ratings. This would make a significant drop in the fuel economy and no manufacturers would want to do this.

The only way around this is to do unofficial coding. And don't worry about "voiding warranties". BMW coding has been going on for years with all other models, I don't think I have come across any cases of warranties being voided.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #32
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks nosnoop

Makes sense. I just never thought it really helped efficiency. But maybe I should try it out at least and get used to it. The Jeep I am driving now has it and it's just annoying. You can really feel it in that car. But you can always turn it off at least.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #33
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeschouwe View Post
Is it just not out yet for the x7?
It lists X7 coding options, just not all of the ones above like Video in Motion.[/QUOTE]
Learning alot from all of you and appreciate the feedback.[/QUOTE]

The only useful ones to code right now with BimmerCode are the ASS and the seat belt chime for the front driver and passenger seats.Just make sure you order the UniCarScan adapter from Germany.It is the one the App developer recommends and worked perfectly coding my X7.

https://www.obd-2.de/shop/profi-diag...umber=UCSI2000
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:51 PM   #34
akap007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Again, there should be no reason to have to map the temperature sync function. There actually is an easy "hidden" shortcut for temperature sync. Press down on the A/C part of the "Menu / A/C" button. Or if you press up on the Menu part of the same button, you can do it digitally via iDrive.

I've tried doing this but it doesn't work for me. Am I supposed to hold the A/C button down for a few seconds cause that still doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 12:05 AM   #35
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecraze View Post
"the a/c sync buttom which I use frequently as I always transport kids, is embetted in the a/c menu. In my 7series it was a button on the main panel."

I have a 2019 X5 and was able to map the a/c sync to one of the programmable 8 buttons on the dash. I assume the X7 can do the same.
Yup.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 12:08 AM   #36
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeschouwe View Post
- the second row entertainment equipment is only android compatible when it comes to mirroring or playback capability. I was able to make it work but for a $2.200 option it's unacceptable to not have it seamlessly work with Apple products.
How were you able to make it work with apple??
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 12:13 AM   #37
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The second row seat movement to get to the third is really poorly designed. Takes way too long to ever use it. Captains chairs arguably are better for this reason with kids, provided you don’t have more than four. I’m pulling off the armrests, because waiting for the automated process involving the second and first row seats is just not a realistic option ever.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #38
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by akap007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue
There actually is an easy "hidden" shortcut for temperature sync. Press down on the A/C part of the "Menu / A/C" button.
I've tried doing this but it doesn't work for me. Am I supposed to hold the A/C button down for a few seconds cause that still doesn't work.
Hmmmm... full disclosure, I haven't tried this in the X7, but it's a little trick in the G05, so it should work in the X7 as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #39
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
The second row seat movement to get to the third is really poorly designed. Takes way too long to ever use it. Captains chairs arguably are better for this reason with kids, provided you don’t have more than four. I’m pulling off the armrests, because waiting for the automated process involving the second and first row seats is just not a realistic option ever.
Can't really disagree with you there. 2nd row seat controls in general are a weakness in the X7.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #40
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmmm... full disclosure, I haven't tried this in the X7, but it's a little trick in the G05, so it should work in the X7 as well.
I’ve tried it and it works for me. Stays on “sync” until a passenger changes their temp.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      05-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #41
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Quote:
I’ve tried it and it works for me. Stays on “sync” until a passenger changes their temp.
Yeah, that's not a trick at all, it's misinformation. It does not work that way in X5 nor X7. It'll light up to show you it's in sync, but pushing the AC button won't sync it.

The easiest way is to just say "hey BMW, sync climate"
      05-15-2019, 09:06 PM   #42
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Yeah, that's not a trick at all, it's misinformation. It does not work that way in X5 nor X7. It'll light up to show you it's in sync, but pushing the AC button won't sync it.

The easiest way is to just assign 1-8 shortcut button #1 to "Sync" and there you go, you have a Sync button just like the old days.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:36 AM   #43
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post

The easiest way is to just assign 1-8 shortcut button #1 to "Sync" and there you go, you have a Sync button just like the old days.
Except it's not the good ole days anymore and technology especially with voice control has moved on past 2007.

If you think finding and pushing a button is easier than saying "BMW sync climate", then go for it

Last edited by wrickem; 05-16-2019 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 04:39 AM   #44
rickytan3
Registered
Rep
Drives: f15 x6

My 2nd row behind driver side stopped adjusting forward or backwards.

I get the seat not locked warning, how do I lock the seat? Its driving me nuts and the dealer can't figure it out eitiher. Have to wait 1 week for an appointment.

BTW this is a brand new just driven off the lot issue
Appreciate 0