BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Key Not Recognized - Vehicle Won't Start

01-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade ESV, M4, Range Rover

Key Not Recognized - Vehicle Won't Start

I have a 2019 X7. The key fob will lock and unlock the car by pressing the buttons but comfort access does not work. The key is also not recognized when I try to start the vehicle. I've tried both keys with the same result. When I hold the key to the steering column it doesn't pair. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #2
HC707
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Garage List
One of my 2 keys did the same thing. I changed the battery and it was working fine. Battery is CR2032.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC707 View Post
One of my 2 keys did the same thing. I changed the battery and it was working fine. Battery is CR2032.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think that's it. I have a display key and charged it fully and the vehicle won't start with that. The vehicle also won't start when I try to precondition using the display key or the app. The car also won't start when I try using the NFC keycard.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #4
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthompson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC707 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think that's it. I have a display key and charged it fully and the vehicle won't start with that. The vehicle also won't start when I try to precondition using the display key or the app. The car also won't start when I try using the NFC keycard.
How did you get a display key?
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #5
HC707
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Garage List
@Paultattoo, Jthompson's is a 2019 X7 so the display key was available. Discontinued for 2020.
Regarding mine, it was the regular keys that came with the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

You need to go into the car/settings menu and allow for preconditioning. It's in a weird place but it's something you need to turn on in I drive. Climate control- preconditioning/ ventilation remote engine start
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:18 PM   #7
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Yes, remote Start must be enabled/allowed from your car via iDrive. Next you can start the car by pressing lock button 3 times using regular FOB, or you can use your Display Key to start or you can use your BMW Connected Apps... Here is where the setting is located, there may be minor difference depending on software version..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #8
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

If you don't use the vehicle for few days and approach it with the keyfob, comfort mode will not work. You must open the vehicle via the keyfob or door handle. After starting it the next time you enter it will work as you would expect.

Is this what you experienced?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #9
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
I have a 2019 X7. The key fob will lock and unlock the car by pressing the buttons but comfort access does not work. The key is also not recognized when I try to start the vehicle. I've tried both keys with the same result. When I hold the key to the steering column it doesn't pair. Does anyone have any other ideas?
I have the same problem in the last two weeks. Not only isn’t the car recognizing me as I walk up to it, but when I try to start the car it says the key isn’t in the car. I literally have to hold the fob up against the steering column in order for it to recognize it.

Yes, I changed my battery last week, it’s not the battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #10
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
You need to go into the car/settings menu and allow for preconditioning. It's in a weird place but it's something you need to turn on in I drive. Climate control- preconditioning/ ventilation remote engine start
I've already done that. I've preconditioned before where the vehicle starts. It won't work now.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #11
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
If you don't use the vehicle for few days and approach it with the keyfob, comfort mode will not work. You must open the vehicle via the keyfob or door handle. After starting it the next time you enter it will work as you would expect.

No. The vehicle won't start at all. I used the unlock button on the remote to get in. The vehicle won't start. I've held it up to the steering column and it's not being recognized.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:

No. The vehicle won't start at all. I used the unlock button on the remote to get in. The vehicle won't start. I've held it up to the steering column and it's not being recognized.
take it back to the dealership to have it recoded?? should be free under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #13
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Quote:

take it back to the dealership to have it recoded?? should be free under warranty?
I couldn't take it back to the dealership. The vehicle wouldn't start.

I had it towed to my local dealership. The control module for comfort access and the ignition was bad. They replaced that and when they tried to get it all up and running the head unit crashed. They tried to reprogram the head unit both from the dealership and also remotely from a BMW tech and neither could get the head unit reprogrammed.

A new head unit module was ordered and should be here tomorrow. Here's to hoping this fixes the issue and there are no further problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #14
unotaz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Is there a physical key to start the car up manually in situations like this?
      01-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #15
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
Is there a physical key to start the car up manually in situations like this?
Not to my knowledge. If there is one, I'd sure like to know. I will ask my SA when I pick up my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #16
jcarmic
Rep
Drives: 2019 x7 50i Carbon Black

I've had this happen a few times. When I'm in the car, with the key it acts like I don't have it. I've found that if I place it in the charging dock near the cupholders, it'll then see it and it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:12 PM   #17
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
I couldn't take it back to the dealership. The vehicle wouldn't start.

I had it towed to my local dealership. The control module for comfort access and the ignition was bad. They replaced that and when they tried to get it all up and running the head unit crashed. They tried to reprogram the head unit both from the dealership and also remotely from a BMW tech and neither could get the head unit reprogrammed.

A new head unit module was ordered and should be here tomorrow. Here's to hoping this fixes the issue and there are no further problems.
Seems like dealers create even more problems when cars are brought in for service.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #18
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

I’m tired of my key sporadically forgetting me. I’m taking the X7 in next week to get it addressed.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #19
JM72
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3, 2016 X3, 2019 X7

Solution

Not sure whether it will be long term solution or not but I had the exact same issue in our X7. Both keys in car, holding up to the steering column etc. Would not start. Could remote start but could not drive. Keys would unlock and lock the doors etc.

Called BMW assist. They said the key sensor module was not functional. They were sending a flatbed when I decided to disconnect battery to see if it would reset. Sure enough works like a champ now.

Not sure if it even makes send to take it in unless I have another issue given the other problems that repairs could create as mentioned by others.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #20
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM72 View Post
Not sure whether it will be long term solution or not but I had the exact same issue in our X7. Both keys in car, holding up to the steering column etc. Would not start. Could remote start but could not drive. Keys would unlock and lock the doors etc.

Called BMW assist. They said the key sensor module was not functional. They were sending a flatbed when I decided to disconnect battery to see if it would reset. Sure enough works like a champ now.

Not sure if it even makes send to take it in unless I have another issue given the other problems that repairs could create as mentioned by others.
This might be what's going on with your vehicle. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...74317-9999.pdf.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 11:06 PM   #21
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM72 View Post

I have fixed several odd issues, including the car not recognizing the fob even when pressed against the icon on steering column to start the car. Fob worked remotely, as expected, but I couldn't start the car in a normal fashion in order to drive the car. Disconnected car's battery, gave it 30 seconds, reconnected car's batt, and all good to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 02:51 AM   #22
nornor67
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Same problem here on X7. Before getting your car to dealer, just disconnect the battery in the boot of the car for half a minute or so. That did the trick for me.
Appreciate 0