BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Rear Spoiler and wing damage

01-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
drbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x7 40i

Rear Spoiler and wing damage

It’s been 5 months since we bought it
My wife backed the car into our garage door and the rear spoiler got stuck into the door as it opened and ripped the spoiler wing out
We had to change the entire rear spoiler and wing assembly
Had to wait almost 2 weeks for replacement parts to come from Germany including some clips that were not available locally
The wait was painful
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
DenverMisanthrope
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i (ordered), 540i xDrive

Oof, sorry, that sucks.

My first thought was:
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Your wife and mine must be related.
      01-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Is your wife still alive?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

My wife did the same. Great job by BMW putting the garage door buttons on the mirror that the wife yanks down every time she gets in the car, was just a matter of time.

The X7 spoiler survived just fine; the garage door needed a panel replaced and it took 2 weeks to get from the garage door factory. Turns out the parts are made to order and take forever.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
My wife did the same. Great job by BMW putting the garage door buttons on the mirror that the wife yanks down every time she gets in the car, was just a matter of time.

The X7 spoiler survived just fine; the garage door needed a panel replaced and it took 2 weeks to get from the garage door factory. Turns out the parts are made to order and take forever.
I never had the opener on the mirror. Still waiting for my X7. Is it hard to use? Does the mirror move every time you open or close the garage door? It does seem like a stupid place for it.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:10 AM   #7
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

I never had the opener on the mirror. Still waiting for my X7. Is it hard to use? Does the mirror move every time you open or close the garage door? It does seem like a stupid place for it.
BMW has been putting the garage door opener buttons on the mirrors on most of their models for a long time now (mid level and higher models it is standard equipment in the US market). My experience has been no issues at all with regards to using the buttons and not moving the mirror - it really is a no-brainer.

That said, the comment above about the wife "yanking" on the mirror and hitting the garage opener buttons on the mirror I think is a typical example of the differences of attention to detail between men and women when it comes to car stuff . My wife is no different. When it comes to cars, my wife's attention to detail and situational awareness sucks compared to mine. At our last house, my wife somehow managed to hit the side of the garage while backing out one time, with no obstructions in the way. Yet in our current house, with a smaller and much tighter garage, I can back in with near pin point accuracy on a daily basis (she parks outside now ).

We each have our strengths and weaknesses.....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:16 AM   #8
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

Quote:
I've never had that problem with mine, and yes the rear view mirror is about the only thing we have to manually adjust when we change drivers. The problem I have with the garage door opener is that it seems to have the shortest range of any vehicle I've ever owned. Maybe it's just more "directional". Every other vehicle I've had, I can open the garage door as I'm driving up, still on the street. With the X7, if I miss the tiny sweet spot from the street, I have to wait till I'm basically right in front of and angled towards the garage door.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:50 AM   #9
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH62 View Post
The problem I have with the garage door opener is that it seems to have the shortest range of any vehicle I've ever owned. Maybe it's just more "directional". Every other vehicle I've had, I can open the garage door as I'm driving up, still on the street. With the X7, if I miss the tiny sweet spot from the street, I have to wait till I'm basically right in front of and angled towards the garage door.
I can open our garage door from a comfortable distance but if you use Apple CarPlay you have another way to open the door via the touchscreen. And it usually pops up further away from the house so the door is wide open when I reach the garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #10
drbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x7 40i

I would say my wife was unlucky as spoiler clipped the edge of the garage that she could not see as she backed out
Worst part it happened on New Years
She s been feeling guilty all month
I was sad for her but yet supportive of her cuz shit happens to all of us
Lesson: we wait for the garage door to be fully open or shut before we move the beast
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH62 View Post
The problem I have with the garage door opener is that it seems to have the shortest range of any vehicle I've ever owned. Maybe it's just more "directional". Every other vehicle I've had, I can open the garage door as I'm driving up, still on the street. With the X7, if I miss the tiny sweet spot from the street, I have to wait till I'm basically right in front of and angled towards the garage door.
I live in the forest surrounded by very large Ceder and Alder trees. I can open my garage door from distances greater than 700 feet away. I can't even see the garage or the house when I press the mirror button. The garage door is completely open by the time I pull into my 350 foot driveway.

Your situation is most likely a result of to much wireless/RF interference in your neighborhood.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #12
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbmw View Post
I would say my wife was unlucky as spoiler clipped the edge of the garage that she could not see as she backed out
Worst part it happened on New Years
She s been feeling guilty all month
I was sad for her but yet supportive of her cuz shit happens to all of us
Lesson: we wait for the garage door to be fully open or shut before we move the beast
It's cool you're supportive. I backed into the closed garage door once. Just didn't look. Tired and no sleep. No excuses but it happens. Small scratch on the bumper and the door was fine after a little pushing and paint.

But the wife (x wife now...) wouldn't let me live it down. Every time we went somewhere she'd say "did you check the garage door".

But then one day, while I was at work, I get a frantic call. She backed out while her garage door was opening. Took out the bottom panel of the door and folded over her spoiler.

Somehow that was my fault too. I should have bought faster door openers.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #13
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:

I've had BMW's with those buttons there for 16 years and never had a problem with it, but its not a great location for the wife who yanks the mirror every time she drives the car. It was inevitable that one day she would grab it in the wrong place.

Since it's your first time with a BMW remote mirror, a helpful tip that will save you an hour of frustration:

You need the garage door's handheld remote as part of the setup process. It's not enough to hit the button on the back of your garage door's motor assembly, you need the handheld remote in the car for setup too.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

I've always had a hard time getting Homelink to link. But if you call them they will walk you through the setup process every time. Always very nice.

But thanks for the heads up. I'll start looking for one of my remote before I start.
Appreciate 0