BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Anyone cross shopping the X7 vs. the Lincoln Aviator ?

04-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Anyone cross shopping the X7 vs. the Lincoln Aviator ?

Would love to hear how people are thinking about pros / cons
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
swenzi
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 Escalad / 17 Panamera Turbo

I have considered it, the new Aviator does look enticing, exterior much better looking than the Navigator and same nice interiors. I believe it is about $20k less than the X7? But I am concerned about the 3rd row leg room as I believe it is shorter than the X7. Will check out both at the NYC auto show next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkmec View Post
Would love to hear how people are thinking about pros / cons
You might be laughing, but I'm actually planning on getting both next February when our leases expire.

I'm currently driving a 2017 Audi Q7 and my mother is driving a 2017 Lincoln MKZ Black Label Hybrid - so we already have a foot in the door with Lincoln.

We are planning on leasing both vehicles again for 3 years and I'm planning on driving the Aviator for the second year of the lease and have her drive the X7 during that period. The reason for that is the fact that she drives 15K miles/year due to her business and I'm only driving less than 5K miles/year due to my short commute. By switching, we can balance out the mileage.

I'm convinced that the Aviator is going to be a home run for Lincoln.

The most interesting part for me about the Aviator is going to be its Plug-in Hybrid power train.

450 HP and 600 lb.-ft is nothing to sneeze at and the option to drive short distances without any gas at all (basically covering my entire short commute) is also very attractive - and all without compromising performance. Although we already own a hybrid, this will be something totally different.

There are a few other features I like on the Aviator - like available ventilated seats for the second row captain's chairs and the front comfort seats which are pretty unique. Of course, I would never make the claim that the Aviator would be the better vehicle compared to the X7 which it probably won't be but I will make the claim that the Aviator is going to be something special. With a sticker below $90K combined with Lincoln's competitive lease deals, it will be difficult - especially for non-European brands - to beat the whole package.

At least I'm not aware of any other 3-row plug-in hybrid for less than $90K that comes with all the bells and whistles - including 450HP and 600 lb.-ft. of torque.

I'm pretty picky about what I'm driving and the fact alone that I'm willing to switch my potential X7 with the Aviator for a year tells a lot. I'm not considering it to be a downgrade - I would simply consider it a different style.

Last edited by 760Lifan; 04-12-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swenzi View Post
I have considered it, the new Aviator does look enticing, exterior much better looking than the Navigator and same nice interiors. I believe it is about $20k less than the X7? But I am concerned about the 3rd row leg room as I believe it is shorter than the X7. Will check out both at the NYC auto show next week.
Quote:

I measured the aviator at the la auto show and looked at the specs. From what I recall of the cargo space behind row 3z. Aviator is bigger , the opening is wider and the distance between 3rd row and back of the vehicle is superior.

3rd row of aviator has slightly less legroom. 31" be 33"

Overall length is 199 vs 203 with aviator comparable in interior space vs x7 with a smaller exterior package.

Aviator is 400 hp 3.0L. Bmw is 335hp but I think the bmw engine is way under rated.

Price: aviators starting price is like 52k but that's for rwd and can get into 80k plus range. Based on the build I looked at, similarly equipped aviator was less than but not enough to go aviator over x7.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

We were considering the Aviator also but decided to go for the X7 after we saw the Aviator in person at the Auto show. There are a couple of reasons why we went with X7 over the Aviator.

1. Size - My wife was driving a 2015 Escalade and wanted something comparable in size and believe it or not the X7 is very comparable. The Aviator is smaller and when you see it in person it looks really small when compared to an Escalade or X7. I know dimension wise not a big difference but when you see it in person you will know what I am talking about.

2. Price- You have to get the reserve trim on the Aviator or the car has cheap black plastic cladding on it that I personally hate. Once you get to that trim level you are within 5k of a well equipped X740i.
They don't show that version when they advertise the car but if you go to the configuration and build it you will see what I am talking about. If you plan on getting a black car it will not look so bad

3. German cars age better. I find that after a few years Lincoln's look dated. The previous model X5 still looks relevant & good to me while the previous model Navigator looks like it belongs in a museum.

4. Prestige and exclusivity- there will be a lot of Aviators around town being that the starting price is 20k cheaper.

5. The interior of the X7 looks more modern and sleek to me. The Aviator interior is nice also but I find the center informant screen is not integrated well with the dash and really don't like the push button gear selector.

One thing that made me thinking hard about the Aviator was the plug in version with 450Hp. I am sure it will be really fun to drive and also nice to have 30+ miles of electric only driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
One thing that made me thinking hard about the Aviator was the plug in version with 450Hp. I am sure it will be really fun to drive and also nice to have 30+ miles of electric only driving.
That's why I'm playing with the crazy idea of getting both.

The X7 as luxurious option and the Aviator as 3-row sportscar...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
swenzi
Private
Rep

Quote:
We were considering the Aviator also but decided to go for the X7 after we saw the Aviator in person at the Auto show. There are a couple of reasons why we went with X7 over the Aviator.

1. Size - My wife was driving a 2015 Escalade and wanted something comparable in size and believe it or not the X7 is very comparable. The Aviator is smaller and when you see it in person it looks really small when compared to an Escalade or X7. I know dimension wise not a big difference but when you see it in person you will know what I am talking about.

2. Price- You have to get the reserve trim on the Aviator or the car has cheap black plastic cladding on it that I personally hate. Once you get to that trim level you are within 5k of a well equipped X740i.
They don't show that version when they advertise the car but if you go to the configuration and build it you will see what I am talking about. If you plan on getting a black car it will not look so bad

3. German cars age better. I find that after a few years Lincoln's look dated. The previous model X5 still looks relevant & good to me while the previous model Navigator looks like it belongs in a museum.

4. Prestige and exclusivity- there will be a lot of Aviators around town being that the starting price is 20k cheaper.

5. The interior of the X7 looks more modern and sleek to me. The Aviator interior is nice also but I find the center informant screen is not integrated well with the dash and really don't like the push button gear selector.

All excellent points. The hybrid model would also be my choice if going the Aviator route.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

I will be cross shopping them. X7 40i at approx $100k msrp and Aviator black label non hybrid at approx $82k i believe. Wifes lease still has a few months on it so we are waiting for aviator to show up in dealerships then we will go with the one we like more/works better for her. By that time all X7’s should be readily available at 10% off. Because the lease deals presented to me so far have been laughable but i get it. Its still “new” for another few weeks until supply meets demand which i think its at about that point
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #9
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
I measured the aviator at the la auto show and looked at the specs. From what I recall of the cargo space behind row 3z. Aviator is bigger , the opening is wider and the distance between 3rd row and back of the vehicle is superior.

Overall length is 199 vs 203 with aviator comparable in interior space vs x7 with a smaller exterior package.

Aviator is 400 hp 3.0L. Bmw is 335hp but I think the bmw engine is way under rated.

Price: aviators starting price is like 52k but that's for rwd and can get into 80k plus range. Based on the build I looked at, similarly equipped aviator was less than but not enough to go aviator over x7.
I agree. I thought about starting this thread about 2 weeks ago. I found that equipping the Aviator with all the high end safety features and other high end options to only be about $12-14k cheaper. At that point I said “screw it”. For $12k more I’ll take a Bmw over a ford product any day (I’m unjustly biased against Fords anyway) . I think the aviator might even look look better from the exterior, but there will be a ton of them around lightly equipped. So, in the end I’m sure the BMW is a far better ride l, safer, and I doubt it will match the x7 tow capacity. For +12k, I’ll go with the BMW. Kudos to ford though It looks like a nice suv and I’d prefer it to the whale Navigator.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
760Lifan
Major
Rep

I've owned Lincolns now for more than a decade and the fact alone that this thread even exists on this forum is a success for them in itself.
Appreciate 4
      04-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #11
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post

I agree. I thought about starting this thread about 2 weeks ago. I found that equipping the Aviator with all the high end safety features and other high end options to only be about $12-14k cheaper. At that point I said “screw it”. For $12k more I’ll take a Bmw over a ford product any day (I’m unjustly biased against Fords anyway) . I think the aviator might even look look better from the exterior, but there will be a ton of them around lightly equipped. So, in the end I’m sure the BMW is a far better ride l, safer, and I doubt it will match the x7 tow capacity. For +12k, I’ll go with the BMW. Kudos to ford though It looks like a nice suv and I’d prefer it to the whale Navigator.
If I wanted to save money I'd just get an Explorer with the 400hp engine and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure BMW will be there?
https://www.autoshowny.com/wp-conten...410LR_4.12.pdf

https://www.autoshowny.com/about/floor-plans/#level-3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #13
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkmec View Post
Quote:
Are you sure BMW will be there?
https://www.autoshowny.com/wp-conten...410LR_4.12.pdf

https://www.autoshowny.com/about/floor-plans/#level-3
Hopefully BMW makes a better showing in NYC. In Houston they had a very minimal presence at the show in January, they had no corporate presence only a local dealership bringing cars to the convention center. They also did not have an X7 to show so I hade wait until the dealer started taking delivery of the X7s in March to see one. I was disappointed because I really wanted to see the Aviator and the X7 in the same place.

You would think with BMW launching a brand-new vehicle they would make sure to have it at every car show especially in Houston the 4th largest city in the US with a huge market. I just don't get BMW marketing to me this was a big mistake.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #14
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

I am actually cross shopping the x7 and navigator
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #15
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Speaking about NYC: Lincoln is going to launch their "Baby-Aviator" there, the Lincoln Corsair.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #16
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Everyone has a right to spend their money on any brand they like and I grew up prepping cars for a Lincoln/Mercury dealership but I have to say that I would be very reluctant to buy a Lincoln product. As a brand, Lincoln has been limping along for a number of years and even though they appear to be getting back on track I would need to see several more years of success before I would buy one of their products. IMO there are many better choices available. While I'm certain I would never buy a Cadillac product either, I would rather buy one of their cars before a Lincoln simply because they've had some recent success with their product lines. Resale values is another concern with Lincoln. Just my opinion and I know it isn't worth much to someone about to plunk down some serious cash to buy a Lincoln.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #17
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
I am actually cross shopping the x7 and navigator
In my opinion unless you need the extra space and people capacity I would go with the X7 every time. The X7 is superior to the navigator in every other category.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      04-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #18
swenzi
Private
Rep

Wow, that would be shocking to me (maybe not to someone else) that BMW would skip NYC autoshow....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #19
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
In my opinion unless you need the extra space and people capacity I would go with the X7 every time. The X7 is superior to the navigator in every other category.
My big worry with the x7 is lack of cargo volume behind third row, which is likely less than what we have in our qx60 now. I totally agree with your statement
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #20
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Agreed. I was shopping both. The Navigator felt luxurious and plush in some respects, but it also had some cheap plastic-feeling bits, and the overdone chrome accents on the outside just looked so cheap to me. And it’s a truck platform, so, while I didn’t drive it, you just know it’s a big floating bouncing truck feel. I drove a Yukon Denali the past 5 years. It wasn’t a bad car. But my goodness, my X7 feels like an M3 race car in comparison in terms of handling, acceleration, feel for the road, and every other driving metric. No competition.

Looks, performance, etc. Navigator has a size advantage, but not even by that much. Easy call here.
      04-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #21
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Quote:
My big worry with the x7 is lack of cargo volume behind third row, which is likely less than what we have in our qx60 now. I totally agree with your statement
I would not get too caught up in the numbers far the cargo area. Honestly unless you go with a suburban or an extended Navigator all these three row SUVs have little room behind the third row that is useful. I can tell you this on paper my 2015 Escalade has more cargo area but in usable floor space for luggage my X7 is more accommodating behind the third row . I can place a case of water behind my third row where I could not place a case of water in my Escalade without folding down the third row.

If you only occasionally need the extra luggage space consider getting the towing package and getting a hitch mount luggage box.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #22
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep

I just saw the Aviator in person (not allowed to drive it). Beautiful vehicle. Loved the interior but sadly the 3rd row disappointed. The 3rd row seats were very low to the point where my knees felt like they were going into my chest. I am not very tall 5'9" and it was a non-starter. I am going to check out the X7 on Friday, and I hoping the 3rd row is more functional. If not, I might just throw in the towel and buy a Navigator.

EDIT -- There was a 2019 Ford Explorer next to the Aviator and the 3rd row seats were much roomier in the Explorer as they were not as low to the ground.
Appreciate 0