BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Beware no AC vents in third row unless you get cold weather package.

11-25-2019, 09:30 PM   #45
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

can anyone with a 2020 confirm that this is still true? A dealer just told me that there are 3rd row vents just no controls back there w/o the cold weather package.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #46
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post
can anyone with a 2020 confirm that this is still true? A dealer just told me that there are 3rd row vents just no controls back there w/o the cold weather package.
I just took delivery of a custom build a week ago. I did not get the cold weather package and there are no vents in the 3rd row with the exception of floor vents.

I had this discussion with the sales guy and I thought it was ludicrous that any place with seats didn't have vents.

No vents in 3rd row unless you order the cold weather package! DUMB!!! DUMB!!! DUMB!!!
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      01-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #47
RSouthern
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpoint View Post
Recently bought a new X7 in NH and fortunately picked up on the fact you need to order the CWP for rear ventilation ducts. This is extremely important for us as we have two large dogs who ride back there all the time. Winters are in Florida so we really need AC back there.
Right after picking the car up we couldn’t get the rear ventilation to work. Checking the owners manual it turns out the rear seats have to be up for the third row ventilation to work???????
What idiot engineer came up with this idea?? I called our Sales guy and he had no idea about this- nor did any body at the dealership.
The Service Manager put in a request to BMW to see if there is an over ride. The response was “ that’s just the way it is”
I am rip shit - never would have bought the car if I’d known about this.
Has anybody found a way to over ride this crazy system????

We hadn't realized this limitation existed either, nor did our sales team. We brought home the X7 last Friday and found out on Sunday when we went for a "family drive".

Have you been able to speak with someone from BMW (not the dealership?) There may be a customer care hotline or similar to make them aware of this serious problem. We also have 2 big dogs (Bernese and Pyrnees) and the ability of the 2nd row vents to blow enough cold air to the 3rd row area is insufficient!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #48
thefarns88
Rep
Drives: X7 buyer

By CWP do you mean third row ventilation exists only if the Cold weather Package is ordered? On BMW ordering guide it lists that as the ZCW package.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 04:04 AM   #49
MilesAway
Rep
Drives: XC90

I’d love to know how the lack of a third row vent has actually turned out? I understand the frustration several of you expressed, just wondering if in real world use it has made a difference (complaints from the third row on hot days?). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #50
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
I’d love to know how the lack of a third row vent has actually turned out? I understand the frustration several of you expressed, just wondering if in real world use it has made a difference (complaints from the third row on hot days?). Thanks!
On hot days, or more accurately, any time the sun is coming in strongly through a rear or side window, can be in the winter too, the kids need more airflow in the third row.

Can we get them the airflow that they need? Yes. Does it make the front and especially second row passengers uncomfortably cold due to fan velocity and temperature as a result? Yes.

And that's with the captain's chairs in the second row. It would be even worse with the bench as it would block the center aisle and the air vents in the second row from doing the heavy lifting.

I'll never forgive BMW for this. At the time of launch, all the X7's in the showrooms had the cold weather package and none of the 5-6 salespeople I spoke to at the 5-6 different dealerships while sitting in 5-6 different showroom models mentioned that the third row air vents I was seeing weren't standard on the car. Where I live we don't get a lot of snow, I don't need a cold weather package. If they called it a warm weather package, or maybe a torture your kids and in-laws package, different story.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #51
MilesAway
Rep
Drives: XC90

Thanks! Was looking for things to chop from my build - I guess that's not going to be one of them! Back to the spreadsheet ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #52
G39x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

I have the CWP on order for my x7, so no worries here, but I don't get why they didn't include vents in the 3rd row. I might understand if the vents are running off a separate condenser like the GLS.

This is similar to when I was traveling with my family in a Prius in the winter. The rear passengers do get floor vents, but you would have to turn up the heat considerably for them to get comfortable. This was the same issue in summer. The saving grace for that vehicle was the rear seats were rarely used.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #53
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by G39x View Post
I have the CWP on order for my x7, so no worries here, but I don't get why they didn't include vents in the 3rd row. I might understand if the vents are running off a separate condenser like the GLS.

This is similar to when I was traveling with my family in a Prius in the winter. The rear passengers do get floor vents, but you would have to turn up the heat considerably for them to get comfortable. This was the same issue in summer. The saving grace for that vehicle was the rear seats were rarely used.
There is a separate AC system for the 3rd row when you order the cold weather package.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #54
G39x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
There is a separate AC system for the 3rd row when you order the cold weather package.
Do you know if each row has a separate AC system or is it just 2 compressors? I know this is getting more technical, but wanted to know if we actually have a way for a true "zone."
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #55
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by G39x View Post
Do you know if each row has a separate AC system or is it just 2 compressors? I know this is getting more technical, but wanted to know if we actually have a way for a true "zone."
It's just two, a big one in the engine bay for first and second row, and a small one behind the wheel well area on drive side (behind 3rd row seats) for the third row a/c.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 06:33 AM   #56
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpoint View Post
Checking the owners manual it turns out the rear seats have to be up for the third row ventilation to work???????
What idiot engineer came up with this idea?? I called our Sales guy and he had no idea about this- nor did any body at the dealership.
The Service Manager put in a request to BMW to see if there is an over ride. The response was “ that’s just the way it is”
I am rip shit - never would have bought the car if I’d known about this.
Has anybody found a way to over ride this crazy system????
This is from a 2019 post. Has this issue been resolved? I'm planning to get the 5-zone automatic climate control because my dog will be in the 3rd row area...but I'm planning to fold the seats down to create a space for my dog. However, according to the quoted post...the seats have to be up in order for the 3rd row ventilation to work?!!! Is that still the case?

Last edited by Brigitte; 06-30-2022 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 07:25 AM   #57
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
This is from a 2019 post. Has this issue been resolved? I'm planning to get the 5-zone automatic climate control because my dog will be in the 3rd row area...but I'm planning to fold the seats down to create a space for my dog. However, according to the quoted post...the seats have to be up in order for the 3rd row ventilation to work?!!! Is that still the case?
There was an OTA update that allowed it somewhere around 3/2020. All good now.
      06-30-2022, 07:39 AM   #58
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
There was an OTA update that allowed it somewhere around 3/2020. All good now.
Thanks. So it was a software issue!

Last edited by Brigitte; 06-30-2022 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0