BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 21” all-season winter performance?

11-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

21” all-season winter performance?

I’m getting ready to order a X7 40i with the 21” double-spoke bi-color orbit grey (all-season runflat) configuration. I’m in Colorado and do a lot of winter/snow driving in the mountains. I’ve never had a car with all-season runflats, so wondering if someone can comment on their experience in similar winter driving conditions? I’m also wondering which tire/product I’m likely to get with the car? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
I’m getting ready to order a X7 40i with the 21” double-spoke bi-color orbit grey (all-season runflat) configuration. I’m in Colorado and do a lot of winter/snow driving in the mountains. I’ve never had a car with all-season runflats, so wondering if someone can comment on their experience in similar winter driving conditions? I’m also wondering which tire/product I’m likely to get with the car? Thanks!
I'll be going into the first winter season here in Mass on the 21" with all-season runflats so I can update a bit later.

But in the meanwhile, I've driven plenty of all-season runflats in winter on xDrive cars. I have not had any issues doing city or interstate driving, given appropriate speeds and smoothness of acceleration-deceleration.

I usually go to Vermont for ski-trips, so I have also done some hillier routes, though probably not as much as you. I have yet to get stranded going up or down inclines in snow. I've never tried to go up or down icy roadway, so cannot comment there. But anything short of full studs and I think you're asking for trouble on ice.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

I put about 500 highway miles on that exact setup in temps ranging from 35-60 and they were quiet and sticky. Can’t speak to snow and ice performance just yet however
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

I was just about to start a thread on this topic having just found out that to put 21" Blizzak's on my 40i its going to set me back close to $3,000. Anyone else have the Continental Cross Contact all-seasons?

So I'm going to give it a go this winter in all seasons, hoping the AWD is enough to make things safe. Worst case, I'll just use my 4 Series which has Nokian winter tires though that sounds counter-intuitive as its RWD.

Last edited by toddwalton; 11-11-2019 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
I put about 500 highway miles on that exact setup in temps ranging from 35-60 and they were quiet and sticky. Can’t speak to snow and ice performance just yet however
35-60 is not winter! Unless minus 😂
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      11-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
I have winters on mine, however 2 years ago I had a chance to drive in exactly same conditions as n exactly same cars but all season vs winters, simply I went to dealer for service and I dropped my sedan all wheel drive with winters and few min later I drive back on all seasons. So technically same road conditions. I was quite surprised how much worst the handling was, I am in MN so we have winters and in first years in MN I drive an all seasons and thought all is great, until I switched to winters,
Technically with winters you can break harder and accelerate faster and make more sharp turns.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #7
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

There are lots of good Youtube videos of winter tires vs. 4WD vs. all season tires. Bottom line, there really is no replacement for winter tires if you live somewhere that gets snow or ice. And even without snow or ice, at temperatures below about 7C (45F) non-winter tires harden up like a hockey puck.

Do a search and take a look at the various videos. This one is one of my favorites. Very eye-opening.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
your winter is the one i want to hear about. let us know after you get some silly cold/snow dump
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #9
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
your winter is the one i want to hear about. let us know after you get some silly cold/snow dump
We already have -12c in MN and so far the beast is running well. I have done some high speeds, faster turns and no signs of bad performance, have not driven on the snow yet
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

All season = no season
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      11-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
All season = no season
Yes, and you'll hear lots of people in the know talk about "all season" tires with the term of "three season" tires, not suitable for any area that gets snow and/or ice.

Last edited by Wild Blue; 11-14-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #12
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Yes, and you'll hear lots of people in the know talk about "all season" tires with the term of "three season" tires, not suitable for any area that gets snow and/or icel..
yeah you know I find them perfect for people who need to get through some snow/ice on occasion and can do so very carefully.. and if those same people can often wait out the snow for the plows and salt to do their thing. they've come a long way but I don't feel invincible in them, by any stretch, when there's snow on the ground.

basing this on my most recent experiences last winter on Conti lx sport run flats on an x5, 20"
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      11-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #13
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
yeah you know I find them perfect for people who need to get through some snow/ice on occasion and can do so very carefully.. and if those same people can often wait out the snow for the plows and salt to do their thing. they've come a long way but I don't feel invincible in them, by any stretch, when there's snow on the ground.

basing this on my most recent experiences last winter on Conti lx sport run flats on an x5, 20"
I swear by snow tires on my other cars, but I am not going to spend $3,000 for a set for an X7 that has 2 1/2 years left on a lease.

So if anyone has driven on snow plowed roads in the X7 on the standard 21” Continental all seasons please let me know, I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on their performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #14
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I swear by snow tires on my other cars, but I am not going to spend $3,000 for a set for an X7 that has 2 1/2 years left on a lease.

So if anyone has driven on snow plowed roads in the X7 on the standard 21” Continental all seasons please let me know, I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on their performance.
They’ll be fine for snow plowed roads. These things are designed to not be a liability in any season. For the vehicle to thrive in the slop, winters are needed
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:33 AM   #15
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
This is my dilemma but have 3yrs left on my lease, have performance tires and live in NY.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:10 AM   #16
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
This is my dilemma but have 3yrs left on my lease, have performance tires and live in NY.
If I were you, I would most definitely not drive on summer tires where you are in the wintertime.

The reality is that you'll be fine on all seasons where you are (most cars in NY do this - I assume you're downstate). Even on performance tires, if it is just cold out with no snow/ice on the ground, you'll be able to get around ok. I personally wouldn't do that, but I know people that do (sports cars with summer tires that they only drive in the winter if there is no snow/ice on the ground). However, summer tires on snow/ice will be a death trap. You'll be sliding around the snow/ice like you're on hockey pucks. You'll feel like you have almost zero control.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:48 AM   #17
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Changed to winter tires on my M5C couple of days ago. It's my daily driver with kids pickups and drop offs and it's a no brainer safety wise. If anyone has performance tires, either shift to winter tires or at least All seasons. X7's are family haulers and one bad incident can be a huge mistake. Performance tires, at least the rears will give up in around 10k miles. So save them for lease returns and use all season or winter tires during the lease period.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #18
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Quote:
If I were you, I would most definitely not drive on summer tires where you are in the wintertime.

The reality is that you'll be fine on all seasons where you are (most cars in NY do this - I assume you're downstate). Even on performance tires, if it is just cold out with no snow/ice on the ground, you'll be able to get around ok. I personally wouldn't do that, but I know people that do (sports cars with summer tires that they only drive in the winter if there is no snow/ice on the ground). However, summer tires on snow/ice will be a death trap. You'll be sliding around the snow/ice like you're on hockey pucks. You'll feel like you have almost zero control.
I wouldn't drive in snow or ice. But, if I decide not to buy snow tires, worst case would be driving in the cold. I would not drive below 32 degrees. They are predicting a warm winter here, 40-50 often. I'm on Long Island.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 06:07 AM   #19
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't drive in snow or ice. But, if I decide not to buy snow tires, worst case would be driving in the cold. I would not drive below 32 degrees. They are predicting a warm winter here, 40-50 often. I'm on Long Island.
Please go all season minimum dude. But if you’re going through that trouble go winter and have an unstoppable vehicle.

Sport tires on a 6k lb vehicle out East no bueno. Don’t learn that the hard way
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #20
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
What would you drive in the snow?

If there is any chance you would encounter ice (freeze up of rain the evening before, etc.), I would echo what everyone else has said here at least do all-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #21
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Please go all season minimum dude. But if you're going through that trouble go winter and have an unstoppable vehicle.

Sport tires on a 6k lb vehicle out East no bueno. Don't learn that the hard way
Agreed! I used my 911 4s as third car in the garage all year round on performance tires but never in snow. But one night on my way back on turnpike, snow started which wasn't predicted. That was one horrible drive in the night and I could barely do 20-30 miles an hour. I was all over the place and shit scared. It was the longest drive of my life. If the car is for pleasure and not a daily driver then it's a different story but don't predict weather in your favor. It's dangerous for you, your family and others on the road and it's not worth it. At least look for All seasons if you can't afford Winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #22
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Never in a million years will I drive summer/performance tires in cold weather, snow or slush.

Made that mistake before and waited longer than I should have to switch to my winter-set and the lightest of flurries turned my car's tires into ice skates.
Appreciate 0