BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2nd Row Captain Seats on X7 moves Extremely Slow

11-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

2nd Row Captain Seats on X7 moves Extremely Slow

On my X7, I ordered 2nd row captain seats. When I push the 2nd row seat-back forward to allow people get to 3rd row, the captain seat (even the front seat) move forward automatically, but extremely, extremely.. slow.

Does anyone know if there is an update to this?

It is 2019 X7 with Software version 07/2019.39

Thank you..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:39 AM   #2
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirwaise View Post
On my X7, I ordered 2nd row captain seats. When I push the 2nd row seat-back forward to allow people get to 3rd row, the captain seat (even the front seat) move forward automatically, but extremely, extremely.. slow.

Does anyone know if there is an update to this?

It is 2019 X7 with Software version 07/2019.39

Thank you..
Those seats are slow. Have you checked videos online to see if yours move slower than other X7s?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Yes, slowwwwww seat movement has been one of the top complaints about the X7, from day 1. Disappointing to those who use the 3rd row.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1298.50
      11-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Those seats are slow. Have you checked videos online to see if yours move slower than other X7s?
No but I will check. I was hoping there will be a software update to speed this up some.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirwaise View Post
No but I will check. I was hoping there will be a software update to speed this up some.
I'll say the chances of a software patch to change are slim-to-none, assuming it's DC motors that power the mechanism, taking answers from https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-motor-s-speed-increase:

Increasing speed of a DC motor[1]:
Flux control method: Speed of a DC motor is inversely proportional to the flux per pole. So, if we decrease the field flux, the speed will be increased. However, this methods puts a limit to maximum speed as weakening of flux beyond the limit will adversely affect the commutation.
To increase speed with this method, you have to add a rheostat in series with the field winding of a shunt motor. If you increase the resistance in field winding, field flux will be reduced and consequently, speed will be increased.
For a DC series motor, you can use a rheostat in parallel with the field winding. When you decrease the parallel resistance of the field winding, current in the field branch will be divided, reducing the field flux. Thus speed will be increased.
Voltage control method: Speed of a DC motor is directly proportional to the applied voltage. Hence, you can easily increase the speed if you increase the applied voltage. This is similar for shunt as well as series dc motors. But please, make sure to check out how much of voltage your motor can handle.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

JFU thanks. I guess no easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Yes, slowwwwww seat movement has been one of the top complaints about the X7, from day 1. Disappointing to those who use the 3rd row.
Yup.

Everything I predicted would bother my family has bothered my family:

1. Slowness of second row to allow access to the third row when beginning a trip, four passengers standing around awkwardly, first row passengers feeling rude if they sit down while everyone else is standing there waiting.

2. Pissed off second row passengers who have to leave the car and wait almost 50 seconds to allow someone to jump in the third row in the middle of a trip.

3. Uncomfortable first row passengers whose seats inexplicably lurch forward when the second row is triggered.

4. Don't even ask me about when all of this happens in the pouring rain.

5. Don't even ask me about the lack of standard air vents in the third row.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Yup.

Everything I predicted would bother my family has bothered my family:

1. Slowness of second row to allow access to the third row when beginning a trip, four passengers standing around awkwardly, first row passengers feeling rude if they sit down while everyone else is standing there waiting.

2. Pissed off second row passengers who have to leave the car and wait almost 50 seconds to allow someone to jump in the third row in the middle of a trip.

3. Uncomfortable first row passengers whose seats inexplicably lurch forward when the second row is triggered.

4. Don't even ask me about when all of this happens in the pouring rain.

5. Don't even ask me about the lack of standard air vents in the third row.
Yep! I rarely carry passengers other than my wife. Every now and then we might have two or 3 guests but that's rare.

If I had a family and had to use the 3rd row seats I probably wouldn't have bought this vehicle for that very reason.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1298.50
      11-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
Young04
Captain
Rep

The slow second row seats is one of the biggest reasons why I ordered mine with captain's chairs. My kids are still in car seats so I'll take off the armrests and that provides easy access to the third row.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Young, my kids are now 6 and 11, we do the same as you, but when other guests, family members or even our dog Max has to to 3rd row the slow slow slow movement of seats is very uncomfortable and disappointing... It's just not normal to wait that long..... I don't know what this German carmaker was thinking...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #11
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post

If I had a family and had to use the 3rd row seats I probably wouldn't have bought this vehicle for that very reason.
Ironic, no?

We had a prior gen 2015 X5 and my kids look at me like "Dad, why did you buy a car whose second row we can't just slam back in 2 seconds like we did with the other one?"

I fully love the one-button "max passengers" and "max cargo" buttons, that's genius. But that should have been it. For 'regular' use the second row should have a "quick release" fully manual lever that's just like the X5 was. Throw the middle seat forward and back, toss that thing around like a rag doll, takes an instant.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The slow second row seats is one of the biggest reasons why I ordered mine with captain's chairs. My kids are still in car seats so I'll take off the armrests and that provides easy access to the third row.
I have Captain's too, did it just for that reason, but guess what:

While your kids can get back to the third row through the 5" of space between the two chairs, you and your wife can't. And you need to in order to buckle them in. Not to mention that plastic cupholder on the floor that will surely shatter if one of you steps on it accidentally.

I'm afraid that until kids are 7+ and can be trusted to buckle themselves it's not going to save any time, best to buy the bench seat and not give up the seventh passenger capacity IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
Young04
Captain
Rep

Quote:

While your kids can get back to the third row through the 5" of space between the two chairs, you and your wife can't. And you need to in order to buckle them in. Not to mention that plastic cupholder on the floor that will surely shatter if one of you steps on it accidentally.

I'm afraid that until kids are 7+ and can be trusted to buckle themselves it's not going to save any time, best to buy the bench seat and not give up the seventh passenger capacity IMO.
From what I saw, adults should easily be able to fit through the space between the captain's chairs once the armrests are removed. Looking at pictures online, it seems like it's more than 5 inches without the armrests.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #14
Young04
Captain
Rep

Quote:

In fact, another forum member posted about this and posted pictures. From the bottom picture, looks like an adult can fit through the space easily.

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1610814
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #15
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
In fact, another forum member posted about this and posted pictures. From the bottom picture, looks like an adult can fit through the space easily.
I'm aware, I'm actually the first poster who discussed the concept with BMW tech and got the illustration of the mechanism from a local service department.

The space is about 5". And then you have to torque your body in contortions to reach the seatbelts as you try not to step on the drink tray or whack your little one across the face accidentally. In the end its just not worth the bother.

The X7 is a great car, but when you use the third row you just need to be patient. That's sort of the long and short of it.
Appreciate 1
Young04685.50
      11-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #16
Young04
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm aware, I'm actually the first poster who discussed the concept with BMW tech and got the illustration of the mechanism from a local service department.

The space is about 5". And then you have to torque your body in contortions to reach the seatbelts as you try not to step on the drink tray or whack your little one across the face accidentally. In the end its just not worth the bother.

The X7 is a great car, but when you use the third row you just need to be patient. That's sort of the long and short of it.
It's going to be interesting watching my ungainly mother in law trying to get back to the third row. She's damaged all sorts of stuff getting back to the third row of our Pacifica van (which is comparatively much easier).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
It's going to be interesting watching my ungainly mother in law trying to get back to the third row. She's damaged all sorts of stuff getting back to the third row of our Pacifica van (which is comparatively much easier).
You don't make your MIL sit in the trunk? Geez, you're a better man than I.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #18
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
You don't make your MIL sit in the trunk? Geez, you're a better man than I.

Ha ha ha ha, awesome.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      11-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #19
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
I’m so glad I got the bench seat for this very reason. We have 3 kids and only use the 3rd row on trips longer than 30 mins or if it’s an absolute must. I won’t even go into how many times the impatient kids fight over whether one of them pressed the button or not all the while the front seats are moving all over the place( AND DONT GO BACK TO THEIR ORIGINAL POSITIONS!)

Honestly if I needed to use the 3rd row more often, I probably would’ve gotten rid of this vehicle after only 2 months bc of this feature. If I’m not mistaken, the new gls is just as bad with this feature as well. My old gls had an amazing seat mechanism that allowed super quick 3rd row access
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #20
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

Quote:

Since you have captain seats on second row, how do you access third row when carseats are attached? I notice that only bench seat on second row has the ease to fold with carseats attached. Am I missing something with the captain seats?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #21
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzillar View Post
Since you have captain seats on second row, how do you access third row when carseats are attached?
You don’t.

Well, if you have latch forward-facing car seats that aren’t too thick perhaps you can get away with it but in reality they would smash into the back of the first row when the second row is triggered. Latch tethers are on the floor so you can’t secure them that way if you want to move the second row.

My son’s full-back booster in the second row needs to come out every time we access the third row (shoulder belt is on the pillar) so we tend to put him and his booster into the third row to begin with on those occasions. Third row has airbags unlike the X5 so we feel comfortable with that.

The world has been looking for an SUV with minivan-like functionality and the X7 comes so close. The passthrough of the second row to the third would have been the answer, but this car was really designed for 6 adults, no children.

Last edited by toddwalton; 11-23-2019 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #22
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

Quote:
You don’t.

Well, if you have latch forward-facing car seats that aren’t too thick perhaps you can get away with it but in reality they would smash into the back of the first row when the second row is triggered. Latch tethers are on the floor so you can’t secure them that way if you want to move the second row.

My son’s full-back booster in the second row needs to come out every time we access the third row (shoulder belt is on the pillar) so we tend to put him and his booster into the third row to begin with on those occasions. Third row has airbags unlike the X5 so we feel comfortable with that.

The world has been looking for an SUV with minivan-like functionality and the X7 comes so close. The passthrough of the second row to the third would have been the answer, but this car was really designed for 6 adults, no children.
Thanks, this really blows. My 6 seats model X is great for 2 full back carseats for my 7 and 5 yo. My wife has decided to replace her gl450 with x7 m50i and tartufo which can only be ordered with 6 seats... I'm back to drawing board.
Appreciate 0