BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum New video: X7 vs GLS review by The Straight Pipes

12-30-2019, 06:33 PM   #23
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Any bold color like that purple does not work with that cerium gray
Cerium gray doesn't work period. I don't understand why BMW insists on using it, looks more like copper and gets water stains easily.
To this day, I have no idea why BMW decided to abandon the body-coloured side mirrors and replaced it with black or cerium grey to match the grilles. This was a change for the sake of making a change and was no way required.
Yes, at least when Audi does it, its part of a package. Black window trim gets black mirrors, aluminum/chrome trim gets aluminum mirrors, and body colored mirrors can be optioned. This is a much better way to do it.
      12-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #24
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
They didn’t dive into interior quality at all. That’s where every single Merc falls flat compared to BMW and Audi.

Sit in the GLS and you’ll see more hard plastic in the cabin, notably on the lower half of the doors. The plastic beneath the seats isn’t flush with the leather either. The Bimmer, even without Individual pkg, uses higher quality materials and is better built. Let’s not forget that every GLS on a dealer lot has Mb Tex whereas BMW rarely stocks cars with fake leather.

Merc interiors are overrated. The designs are tacky especially at night, and the quality isn’t there.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Just because most people don't opt for leather in MB doesn't make them inferior to BMW. If you build out a MB with designo options it would be neck and neck with BMW individual. MB sells what people want and for most they don't even know the difference between MB Tex and real leather and therefore don't care even when it's explained. MB does a great job marketing MB Tex and I can tell you after owning a 13 GL and now a 17 GLS with MB Tex it serves its purpose just as Sensatec does for BMW. I haul all sorts of things in my GLS from lumber to 260+ pounds of dog. Things I would never consider doing in any of my BMW's with
real leather. My Benz sees the service center once a year with no complaints and most of my BMWs go in with a laundry list of issues. To have a quality product doesn't mean it needs to have all soft touch materials and Merino leather and crystal shift knobs. With that said, I will always have BMW's for my dailies and would get another GLS for my other needs as in 6 years of having one it has been a quality performer for me. The X7 might be but it doesn't have the track record of the GL(S). True car enthusiast can find shortfalls in any build by any manufacturer. Different folks, different strokes.
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 5
clee1982796.00
chrisk03153.00
LT43.00
      12-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #25
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
+1

My wife's 3 yr old C-coupe has more creaks than my 5+ yr old 4-series which as twice the mileage.
This! I like the look of the new MB interiors, but they are not built well, not like the older ones that were rock solid.

In the past 3 months I have had a GLC, and two GLS's as rentals. All of them with less than 4000 miles, one GLS has 1000. They all had creaks and annoying noises.

I had two X7's as loaners when my 750 had service, once 4.0 one 5.0 and both with the same mileage as the Mercs were solid.

I do think though without the better leather packages the X7 is not as nice on the inside, I mean not bad but definitely not up to the price paid. The 5.0 had upgraded interior with the leather Dash, it was much more like my 7 and super nice.

I was surprised at how nice that thing could corner, I took some fast ones, it will be our upgrade for the X5.
      12-30-2019, 08:00 PM   #26
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
They didn’t dive into interior quality at all. That’s where every single Merc falls flat compared to BMW and Audi.

Sit in the GLS and you’ll see more hard plastic in the cabin, notably on the lower half of the doors. The plastic beneath the seats isn’t flush with the leather either. The Bimmer, even without Individual pkg, uses higher quality materials and is better built. Let’s not forget that every GLS on a dealer lot has Mb Tex whereas BMW rarely stocks cars with fake leather.

Merc interiors are overrated. The designs are tacky especially at night, and the quality isn’t there.
Completely agree that the GLS interiors are a let down from what was promised. We stepped away from getting one for that very reason and lack of other option choices (AMG package only available on the 580's in the US, all 450's get the black plastic wheel arches).
This will work itself out over time as the GLS63 will have a proper set of exclusive Nappa interior options and then all will.

But I wouldn't generalize this. I find the interior quality of the S-Class much better than the 7 Series (non-individual). MB Nappa leather quality is better than BMW and I find a lot of BMW interior designs pretty pedestrian (on higher-end models). BMW has improved their interiors but they are not known in Germany for great build quality. That recognition goes to Porsche and some extend, Audi.

I do think the X7 is well executed on their interiors and feel more upscale than the MB SUV's. Other than that, both models have their Pros/Cons...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #27
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogFixer01 View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges. Just because most people don't opt for leather in MB doesn't make them inferior to BMW. If you build out a MB with designo options it would be neck and neck with BMW individual. MB sells what people want and for most they don't even know the difference between MB Tex and real leather and therefore don't care even when it's explained. MB does a great job marketing MB Tex and I can tell you after owning a 13 GL and now a 17 GLS with MB Tex it serves its purpose just as Sensatec does for BMW. I haul all sorts of things in my GLS from lumber to 260+ pounds of dog. Things I would never consider doing in any of my BMW's with
real leather. My Benz sees the service center once a year with no complaints and most of my BMWs go in with a laundry list of issues. To have a quality product doesn't mean it needs to have all soft touch materials and Merino leather and crystal shift knobs. With that said, I will always have BMW's for my dailies and would get another GLS for my other needs as in 6 years of having one it has been a quality performer for me. The X7 might be but it doesn't have the track record of the GL(S). True car enthusiast can find shortfalls in any build by any manufacturer. Different folks, different strokes.
The new GLS doesn't have a lot of Designo/Exclusive Nappa choices yet so the car is a bit handicapped in the luxury department.

One thing to keep in mind is that leather is starting to get a lot of pushback in Germany as an animal-based non-sustainable material, so car manufacturers get dinged for not offering synthetic options even in their high-end cars.
Just the the Porsche Taycan, the upcoming EQ cars will have non-leather options in their S-Class level cars.
MB also has a new MB-Tex material that is like non-textured Nappa.

That said, I am a sucker for great leather interiors and love full leather options with zero plastic anywhere
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #28
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:
The new GLS doesn't have a lot of Designo/Exclusive Nappa choices yet so the car is a bit handicapped in the luxury department.

One thing to keep in mind is that leather is starting to get a lot of pushback in Germany as an animal-based non-sustainable material, so car manufacturers get dinged for not offering synthetic options even in their high-end cars.
Just the the Porsche Taycan, the upcoming EQ cars will have non-leather options in their S-Class level cars.
MB also has a new MB-Tex material that is like non-textured Nappa.

That said, I am a sucker for great leather interiors and love full leather options with zero plastic anywhere
I am with ya on the real leather and no plastic. Was just merely stating everything has its place and I have never any issues with MB Tex looking bad or anyone ever calling me a cheap ass for having fake leather... 🤣 that's the biggest thing I miss currently going from my X5M with full Merino to my M340... the interior appointments... 😏
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-30-2019, 09:13 PM   #29
jav335i_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They didn't dive into interior quality at all. That's where every single Merc falls flat compared to BMW and Audi.

Sit in the GLS and you'll see more hard plastic in the cabin, notably on the lower half of the doors. The plastic beneath the seats isn't flush with the leather either. The Bimmer, even without Individual pkg, uses higher quality materials and is better built. Let's not forget that every GLS on a dealer lot has Mb Tex whereas BMW rarely stocks cars with fake leather.

Merc interiors are overrated. The designs are tacky especially at night, and the quality isn't there.
But you'll get everyone who sees any Mercedes' interior and think it's high quality and better than BMW/Audi because it has overly bright ambient lighting and dual screens. The design may be pretty but sit in any current Mercedes and it's easy to tell that it's better than any comparable BMW.
+1

My wife's 3 yr old C-coupe has more creaks than my 5+ yr old 4-series which as twice the mileage.
I work at a Mercedes dealership, and all of the preowned GLE, and GLS' have a really weird creaking sound when you're pulling in a parking lot with an incline. I've noticed it on some of the new ones too, it'd like their structural rigidity isn't there...
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3539.50
Al Pinã1838.50
      12-30-2019, 09:45 PM   #30
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:

... and that's why X7 is selling so well especially in SoCal.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      12-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #31
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
I'm not comparing apples to oranges. You can go to both dealerships tomorrow and see for yourself. The X7s in stock have higher quality interiors than the GLS'. Same for the X5, X3, 3-series, 5-series, and so on. Comparison tests and reviews also make note of what I'm saying.

Your tangent on reliability has nothing to do with material and build quality either. I agree I was probably a bit harsh. Merc interiors are obviously nice, they're just a notch below the competition.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:15 PM   #32
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

A tank shouldn't be painted in pink or violet... Just saying
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:08 AM   #33
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
A tank shouldn't be painted in pink or violet... Just saying
it's Ametrin Metallic and is a deep purplish red, the color is actually deeper than the video portrays.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
bmr760139.00
      12-31-2019, 03:21 AM   #34
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Cerium gray doesn't work period. I don't understand why BMW insists on using it, looks more like copper and gets water stains easily.
Totally agree. It's cool they tried something different but it doesn't work with most sporty colours and considering the cars it comes in that a bit silly.

Still it costs for a black pack delete so maybe that's the plan all along at BMW
      12-31-2019, 04:20 AM   #35
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Very very good comparison review
      12-31-2019, 05:09 AM   #36
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post

Can anyone comment on the problems they were having with the X7 lane-drifting too much using adaptive at highway speeds?
Weather. Period. During moderate to heavy rain my lane keep goes all over the place. Nothing like how it behaves on a clear day.
      12-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #37
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not comparing apples to oranges. You can go to both dealerships tomorrow and see for yourself. The X7s in stock have higher quality interiors than the GLS'. Same for the X5, X3, 3-series, 5-series, and so on. Comparison tests and reviews also make note of what I'm saying.

Your tangent on reliability has nothing to do with material and build quality either. I agree I was probably a bit harsh. Merc interiors are obviously nice, they're just a notch below the competition.
The point I was making is that you are claiming the MB is inferior because it has MB tex and therefore low quality compared to real leather regardless of the grade in BMW. On that level you are comparing apples to oranges as you're comparing real leather to "fake" leather. The very definition of quality is the standard of measurement amongst like things. MB Tex and leather are not alike. The truth in it is, if you were to compare MB Tex to other man made "leathers" it's probably superior to others as MB has been making it for 20-ish years which makes it a high quality product. Your comparison of "stock vehicles" is valid on most levels but again is all subjective to the person and their opinion.

Not sure how my "tangent" on reliability has nothing to do with quality of build as reliability is a direct representation of product quality. I can think of two issues requiring unscheduled service in almost six years of having a GL(S). I had that many issues with my M340 in the first week of driving it. It's just something I, as many others probably have, learned to accept with driving a BMW.

In the end, I'm not looking to argue over opinions. It's obvious you have a dislike for Merc and the articles you read solidify that for you. I have had nothing but success with them and know many others who have as well. They all serve a different purpose. I get this is a BMW forum but keep in mind there are many others out there with the exact opposite opinion as you along with reviews that will slant the other way.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
clee1982796.00
      12-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #38
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav335i_ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They didn't dive into interior quality at all. That's where every single Merc falls flat compared to BMW and Audi.

Sit in the GLS and you'll see more hard plastic in the cabin, notably on the lower half of the doors. The plastic beneath the seats isn't flush with the leather either. The Bimmer, even without Individual pkg, uses higher quality materials and is better built. Let's not forget that every GLS on a dealer lot has Mb Tex whereas BMW rarely stocks cars with fake leather.

Merc interiors are overrated. The designs are tacky especially at night, and the quality isn't there.
But you'll get everyone who sees any Mercedes' interior and think it's high quality and better than BMW/Audi because it has overly bright ambient lighting and dual screens. The design may be pretty but sit in any current Mercedes and it's easy to tell that it's better than any comparable BMW.
+1

I work at a Mercedes dealership, and all of the preowned GLE, and GLS' have a really weird creaking sound when you're pulling in a parking lot with an incline. I've noticed it on some of the new ones too, it'd like their structural rigidity isn't there...
Yep. She has The AMG-pkg and those seats creak a lot. Then there's the general creaking around the dash.

Granted we're talking about bottom of the model line up and automakers always cut somewhere. M-Tex or whatever they call their vinyl seats are, imo, a segment leader. Benz nailed it there.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:24 AM   #39
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waise View Post
You can set up how early the lane keeping assist to react. The issue has been the automatic lane keeping or Assistant Pro is a little aggressive. I haven't had a lame drift issue. But BMW is contiously updating software for better/smoother response. I got an update yesterday during oil change that in addition to other software fixes it enhances lane keeping. At least that's what the notes say.
Also read this link:
https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1673717
On my G30 the secret was to turn off "intervention" for lane departure warning. I think the lane assistant and the departure warning together create the aggressive action.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #40
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To this day, I have no idea why BMW decided to abandon the body-coloured side mirrors and replaced it with black or cerium grey to match the grilles. This was a change for the sake of making a change and was no way required.
Yes, at least when Audi does it, its part of a package. Black window trim gets black mirrors, aluminum/chrome trim gets aluminum mirrors, and body colored mirrors can be optioned. This is a much better way to do it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When "M50" isn't optioned (Cerium Grey accents) you get body colored mirrors. If you choose to get "extended shadow line trim," your mirrors will be body colored. Only $350.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #41
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
The point I was making is that you are claiming the MB is inferior because it has MB tex and therefore low quality compared to real leather regardless of the grade in BMW. On that level you are comparing apples to oranges as you're comparing real leather to "fake" leather. The very definition of quality is the standard of measurement amongst like things. MB Tex and leather are not alike. The truth in it is, if you were to compare MB Tex to other man made "leathers" it's probably superior to others as MB has been making it for 20-ish years which makes it a high quality product. Your comparison of "stock vehicles" is valid on most levels but again is all subjective to the person and their opinion.

Not sure how my "tangent" on reliability has nothing to do with quality of build as reliability is a direct representation of product quality. I can think of two issues requiring unscheduled service in almost six years of having a GL(S). I had that many issues with my M340 in the first week of driving it. It's just something I, as many others probably have, learned to accept with driving a BMW.

In the end, I'm not looking to argue over opinions. It's obvious you have a dislike for Merc and the articles you read solidify that for you. I have had nothing but success with them and know many others who have as well. They all serve a different purpose. I get this is a BMW forum but keep in mind there are many others out there with the exact opposite opinion as you along with reviews that will slant the other way.
I commented on way more than just Mb tex.

Anyhow we can agree to disagree. I get that there is an underlying BMW bias on this forum but most here would agree that Audi/Porsche are at the same level as BMW as well.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2019, 11:52 AM   #42
kevinlevrone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
That purple is hideous!
The car is hideous.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #43
DenverMisanthrope
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i (ordered), 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
The car is hideous.

You realize you're posting in the X7 forum, right? Great way to make friends.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #44
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
it's Ametrin Metallic and is a deep purplish red, the color is actually deeper than the video portrays.
This. Actually a very dark wine-red in most light, and I've never seen it as depicted in the still shot of this video lighting. Almost mistook it for black when I first saw it. Not for everyone, but like TBII, a unique option for those tired of the comprehensive range of black or white presented by BMW for the majority of their "colors," and still be a conservative, sharp looking car, especially in this color with the Extended Shadowline trim.
Appreciate 0