forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Extended Warranty Plans

01-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
thefarns88
Rep
Drives: X7 buyer

X7 Extended Warranty Plans

Anyone have advice to share on the benefits and costs of the extended warranty/service plans available for the X7? I have seen posts on extended maintenance plans but not the warranty plans.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:27 PM   #2
Bollywoodkid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarns88 View Post
Anyone have advice to share on the benefits and costs of the extended warranty/service plans available for the X7? I have seen posts on extended maintenance plans but not the warranty plans.
I would like to know As well
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Opinions will vary on the need for extended warranties, regardless of the car or manufacturer. At the end of the day, it is all about managing the risk associated with the "potential" of something big/expensive breaking during your ownership once the original factory warranty is gone. A few things to consider:

1) How long do you plan to keep the car and how many miles do you drive? If you typically replace cars in less than 4yrs/50k miles, an extended warranty is not worth the extra cost.

2) Cost. Buying an extended warranty from the dealer will always be more expensive than an aftermarket warranty. But the coverage for the dealer warranty is not always better than an aftermarket warranty. Although, the dealer extended warranty will almost always be cheaper if you buy it when the car is new vice buying a dealer warranty for a car with a few years and miles on the clock.

3) Reliability. Not all models are as reliable as others. Typically, the higher end models (like the 7 and 8 series, with the big engines and newest tech) break more than the "bread & butter" models like the 3&4 series. Unfortunately, some of the expensive items that can break are not always covered by the extended warranties, dealer or aftermarket. Not saying that BMWs are unreliable in general, but reliability does vary from model to model within the brand. That said, the X7 40i seems to be doing well from what I have seen IMHO. But even then, the model is still relatively young. A modern BMW reliability "good news" story would be the F8X M3/M4 (which I own), which was released in late 2014. The overall reliability of this $80k+ premium BMW performance sports car has already exceeded many reliability expecatations of previous M-models, even my own (knock on wood...).

4) Coverage. No extended warranty, dealer or aftermarket, will match the original 4yr/50k mile bumper to bumper warranty. The devil is in the details (i.e. the fine print). Many people are surprised at what is not covered only when it is too late. Fortunately, most extended warranty companies make the list of what is covered readily available so that you can make an informed decision. Just make sure you actually read (and understand) what is covered and what isn't.

5) What "extras" come with the extended warranty? The good ones, including aftermarket warranties, will come with features like roadside assistance (which typically expires from BMW when the 4yr/50k mile expires). Also, the good ones will allow you to use any SAE certified shop, which means the dealer is still an option to get your car fixed. Keep in mind also that some extended warranty coverage has a $$ cap on how much they will payout for an extended warranty repair. The cap can be a yearly cap, cap per repair, cap for the duration of the extended warranty period, or some combination of all three. Another fine print item is what type of parts will be used for the repair. Genuine BMW parts will be best, but the most expensive. OE/OEM would be optimal as OE/OEM manufactures make the same parts for BMW, but no BMW logo (which means the parts are less expensive, but same BMW quality), and then there are aftermarket parts where quality can be hit or miss (but usually a miss and you should in general avoid if you plan on keeping the car).

IMHO, I don't think the extended warranties are worth it, especially if you don't keep cars long. And I am the type that likes to keep cars well past the original factory warranty. If I were to get one, it would be an aftermarket one to avoid the somewhat ridiculous markup from the dealer. Also keep in mind that the dealer extended warranties are not BMW warranties. BMW contracts out those extended warranties using other warranty companies, just like aftermarket warranty companies.

In my case, I usually aggressively pay off my cars when I can (within 5 years) so if a repair is required, the $$ hit is a bit less since I most likely won't have a car payment - on average I keep my cars 10yrs/125k miles. I also maintain my cars above and beyond the factory maintenance requirements and I DIY when I can, even while still under the original factory warranty. Lastly, I have a good/reliable independent shop I can use for those repairs I can't/won't tackle on my own when the car is out of warranty so I can save some $$ on the repair over going to the dealer. YMMV when it comes to how involved you want to be with maintaining/fixing your car and how much you are willing to pay for maintaining/fixing your car.

Here is a recent real world example from my experience involving my wife's 2013 X3 28i. Originally purchased as a CPO car with 35k miles 3 years ago, it now has 65k+ miles. The CPO warranty expired back in Apr 2019 and the car was paid off in May 2019. Original car payment was ~$450/mo. I considered an aftermarket extended warranty for the X3, but ultimately decided not to get it for the reasons I stated above. A few months ago, both rear wheel bearings died, requiring replacement (and beyond my DIY abilities for repair). Each side was a ~$450 repair (parts & labor) using OEM parts and a reputable independent mechanic shop - which also has a similar repair warranty comparable to the dealer. So while the $900 bill sucked at the time, it was offset by the fact I have not had any car payments on my wife's X3 for several months (and no other material issues with the car). Also, reading the fine print of the aftermarket warranty I was considering revealed that wheel bearings were specifically NOT covered (which is apparently common for several other aftermarket warranty plans I looked at as well). So in this case, I came out ahead. But to be fair, people have also reported that their extended warranties have paid for themselves with repairs as well. While many have not needed to use their extended warranties at all.

So there is no one right answer. Just arm yourself with as much info so that you can make an informed decision that satisfies the level of "risk" you want to take with ownership past the original factory bumper to bumper warranty.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 01-27-2020 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 19
      01-27-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
gdurhamski
gdurham
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 2020, 17 Porsche Turbo S, 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Opinions will vary on the need for extended warranties, regardless of the car or manufacturer. At the end of the day, it is all about managing the risk associated with the "potential" of something big/expensive breaking during your ownership once the original factory warranty is gone. A few things to consider:

1) How long do you plan to keep the car and how many miles do you drive? If you typically replace cars in less than 4yrs/50k miles, an extended warranty is not worth the extra cost.

2) Cost. Buying an extended warranty from the dealer will always be more expensive than an aftermarket warranty. But the coverage for the dealer warranty is not always better than an aftermarket warranty. Although, the dealer extended warranty will almost always be cheaper if you buy it when the car is new vice buying a dealer warranty for a car with a few years and miles on the clock.

3) Reliability. Not all models are as reliable as others. Typically, the higher end models (like the 7 and 8 series, with the big engines and newest tech) break more than the "bread & butter" models like the 3&4 series. Unfortunately, some of the expensive items that can break are not always covered by the extended warranties, dealer or aftermarket. Not saying that BMWs are unreliable in general, but reliability does vary from model to model within the brand. That said, the X7 40i seems to be doing well from what I have seen IMHO. But even then, the model is still relatively young. A modern BMW reliability "good news" story would be the F8X M3/M4 (which I own), which was released in late 2014. The overall reliability of this $80k+ premium BMW performance sports car has already exceeded many reliability expecatations of previous M-models, even my own (knock on wood...).

4) Coverage. No extended warranty, dealer or aftermarket, will match the original 4yr/50k mile bumper to bumper warranty. The devil is in the details (i.e. the fine print). Many people are surprised at what is not covered only when it is too late. Fortunately, most extended warranty companies make the list of what is covered readily available so that you can make an informed decision. Just make sure you actually read (and understand) what is covered and what isn't.

5) What "extras" come with the extended warranty? The good ones, including aftermarket warranties, will come with features like roadside assistance (which typically expires from BMW when the 4yr/50k mile expires). Also, the good ones will allow you to use any SAE certified shop, which means the dealer is still an option to get your car fixed. Keep in mind also that some extended warranty coverage has a $$ cap on how much they will payout for an extended warranty repair. The cap can be a yearly cap, cap per repair, cap for the duration of the extended warranty period, or some combination of all three. Another fine print item is what type of parts will be used for the repair. Genuine BMW parts will be best, but the most expensive. OE/OEM would be optimal as OE/OEM manufactures make the same parts for BMW, but no BMW logo (which means the parts are less expensive, but same BMW quality), and then there are aftermarket parts where quality can be hit or miss (but usually a miss and you should in general avoid if you plan on keeping the car).

IMHO, I don't think the extended warranties are worth it, especially if you don't keep cars long. And I am the type that likes to keep cars well past the original factory warranty. If I were to get one, it would be an aftermarket one to avoid the somewhat ridiculous markup from the dealer. Also keep in mind that the dealer extended warranties are not BMW warranties. BMW contracts out those extended warranties using other warranty companies, just like aftermarket warranty companies.

In my case, I usually aggressively pay off my cars when I can (within 5 years) so if a repair is required, the $$ hit is a bit less since I most likely won't have a car payment - on average I keep my cars 10yrs/125k miles. I also maintain my cars above and beyond the factory maintenance requirements and I DIY when I can, even while still under the original factory warranty. Lastly, I have a good/reliable independent shop I can use for those repairs I can't/won't tackle on my own when the car is out of warranty so I can save some $$ on the repair over going to the dealer. YMMV when it comes to how involved you want to be with maintaining/fixing your car and how much you are willing to pay for maintaining/fixing your car.

Here is a recent real world example from my experience involving my wife's 2013 X3 28i. Originally purchased as a CPO car with 35k miles 3 years ago, it now has 65k+ miles. The CPO warranty expired back in Apr 2019 and the car was paid off in May 2019. Original car payment was ~$450/mo. I considered an aftermarket extended warranty for the X3, but ultimately decided not to get it for the reasons I stated above. A few months ago, both rear wheel bearings died, requiring replacement (and beyond my DIY abilities for repair). Each side was a ~$450 repair (parts & labor) using OEM parts and a reputable independent mechanic shop - which also has a similar repair warranty comparable to the dealer. So while the $900 bill sucked at the time, it was offset by the fact I have not had any car payments on my wife's X3 for several months (and no other material issues with the car). Also, reading the fine print of the aftermarket warranty I was considering revealed that wheel bearings were specifically NOT covered (which is apparently common for several other aftermarket warranty plans I looked at as well). So in this case, I came out ahead. But to be fair, people have also reported that their extended warranties have paid for themselves with repairs as well. While many have not needed to use their extended warranties at all.

So there is no one right answer. Just arm yourself with as much info so that you can make an informed decision that satisfies the level of "risk" you want to take with ownership past the original factory bumper to bumper warranty.
talked with the dealer. These are retail prices

Ultimate + 5yr/75,000 mile $3,600, 6yr/100,000 mile $4,800, 7 yr/125,000 mile is $5,600

Extended warranty 6 yr/100,000 mile bumper to bumper is $4,800.

Tire & wheel for 5 yr is $1,800.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

So does the 6 year/100k miles warranty mean in addition to the 4 year factory warranty or does that mean only 2 years extra?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
gdurhamski
gdurham
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 2020, 17 Porsche Turbo S, 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
So does the 6 year/100k miles warranty mean in addition to the 4 year factory warranty or does that mean only 2 years extra?
2 years additional after the original 4 year/50k
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #7
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdurhamski View Post
Quote:
$200/month warranty. Ouch.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:05 PM   #8
Bollywoodkid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've heard BMW offers a $799 unlimate warranty plan?
Anyone know where and how I can get it on my lease?
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      07-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

I am planning on keeping my X7 for 7-10 years...so being quoted from my BMW dealer as I'm planning on picking up the vehicle...

5/75 5150
5/100 5600
6/75 5950
6/100 6550
7/75 6700
7/100 7850

These are bumper to bumper warranties which will mimic the factory warranty.

They are significantly more than the prices a few posts above. Anyone know the best dealer to purchase this from price wise. I'm looking at the 7/75. Thanks much!
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollywoodkid View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've heard BMW offers a $799 unlimate warranty plan?
Anyone know where and how I can get it on my lease?
Yes they do. It covers all your scheduled maintenance minus brakes and wipers for an additional 2 years.

I just bought the 1 years care+ maintenance package which includes brakes and wipers. This will carry for a total of 4 years on the full maintenance. I usually change brakes on year 4. And with M brakes it was definitely worth it. It's at lest a $700 to $1000 in total maintenance cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
Chicago Beemer
Private
Rep

I have taken both Extended Warranty as well as Maintenance

Extended Warranty covers up to 100k
Extended Maintenance also covers all including brakes and wipers until 100k
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #12
bmwx7lover
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X7

Extended Maintenance

Chicago Beemer - Please let me know the cost for extended maintenance for 100K miles.

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #13
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

I ended up buying a 3rd party warranty through my dealer. total of 7 year 75k coverage (so 3 yr 25k more than factory warranty). Covers all non wear and tear items with a $200 deductible. Also covers lifetime oil changes (2x per calendar year) for $2400. Warranty can be used at any repair shop, not just the dealer. But if I take it to the dealer I don't have to bother with filing claim as the dealer will do that for me. Oil change is good at 190 dealerships in the country for as long as I own the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #14
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
I ended up buying a 3rd party warranty through my dealer. total of 7 year 75k coverage (so 3 yr 25k more than factory warranty). Covers all non wear and tear items with a $200 deductible. Also covers lifetime oil changes (2x per calendar year) for $2400. Warranty can be used at any repair shop, not just the dealer. But if I take it to the dealer I don't have to bother with filing claim as the dealer will do that for me. Oil change is good at 190 dealerships in the country for as long as I own the car.
That sounds like a great program. Who is that through?
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #15
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
That sounds like a great program. Who is that through?
The extended warranty is through FESC. They don't have the greatest reviews online but I figure since the dealer has to deal with them and not me, it was worth the risk.

I asked about the BMW factory extended warranty and it was around $6k for the same 7yr/75k coverage. Although it had $0 deductible.

I was a bit hesitant to go for the 3rd party but the dealer threw in their lifetime oil change (which they were initially selling as a separate line item for $650) so I figure 2 oil changes a year is a couple hundred a year, Since I planned to keep this car 10+ years, that will be a nice little bonus, so I signed up for the Extended warranty and the free oil change.

I don't expect much to break down (knock on wood) based on past experience, so I figure the extended warranty is just there in case something major fails.

My wife's X3 is 5 years old and the only thing we had to get done was a rubber window seal when it was new (came out of the factory with defective seal), and a driver seat cover at year 3.

My previous E46 328i was very reliable in the 175k miles I put on it. Basically just regular maintenance and wear and tear parts (brakes, tires, some bushings and couple of hoses).
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #16
WhiteCoatGeek
Rep
Drives: MB AMG C63S

Quote:
talked with the dealer. These are retail prices

Ultimate + 5yr/75,000 mile $3,600, 6yr/100,000 mile $4,800, 7 yr/125,000 mile is $5,600

Extended warranty 6 yr/100,000 mile bumper to bumper is $4,800.

Tire & wheel for 5 yr is $1,800.
Do you mean that 6 yr/100K extended warranty and Ultimate + maintenance are for $4800 each (Total $9600)?

Is Tire & wheel package through BMW or third party?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #17
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Reviving this old thread. Anyone have any updates regarding cost of extended warranties through dealers or third party?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 07:07 AM   #18
dvu
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X7 40i

Does the BMW extended warranty provide you with a loaner vehicle while your car is in the shop?

Duc
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #19
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

The dealer should provide one with or without warranty. One of the many benefits of getting a car of this caliber.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #20
HatTrick71
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 xDrive40i

As some have said before everything is negotiable. The 7-year warranty started at $5999 for me, and I ended up biting when they got down to $3999. Still a lot, and not sure if it will be worth it, but with everything that can go wrong with so much automation, and as much as repairs seem to cost, it at least buys me some peace of mind for 3 extra years.

I would also add that my dealer has always provided a loaner on my previous vehicles whether the repair was under warranty or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:17 PM   #21
dvu
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick71 View Post
As some have said before everything is negotiable. The 7-year warranty started at $5999 for me, and I ended up biting when they got down to $3999. Still a lot, and not sure if it will be worth it, but with everything that can go wrong with so much automation, and as much as repairs seem to cost, it at least buys me some peace of mind for 3 extra years.

I would also add that my dealer has always provided a loaner on my previous vehicles whether the repair was under warranty or not.
That's a pretty darn good price for 7yr platinum. I think Steve Thomas BMW is quoting $6350 for 7 yr/100k. Do you mind sending me your finance person's contact info? Would like to see if they could do a similar offer for me?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:51 PM   #22
HatTrick71
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvu View Post
That's a pretty darn good price for 7yr platinum. I think Steve Thomas BMW is quoting $6350 for 7 yr/100k. Do you mind sending me your finance person's contact info? Would like to see if they could do a similar offer for me?

Thanks.
Sent you a PM. Just to clarify my warranty was 7 year, 75K miles, not 100K. I have a short commute and generally drive less than 10K miles per year.
Appreciate 0