03-13-2024, 03:44 PM   #1
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Setting Daylight Time

My vehicle is still not on Daylight Savings Time. I thought it would change automatically. I went into the time menu to change it but got the message "That Function is Not Available". I suspect I am missing something obvious and would appreciate any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:08 PM   #2
FlyEagle1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 Alpina XB7 Green

Not sure if you have already tried this method?

I had the same issue. Did you go inside the Home Screen settings? For me I just touched the time display in the upper right hand corner of the main Home Screen near the wifi symbol, then I toggled to set automatically. Presto done.
Appreciate 1
rjabend369.50
      03-13-2024, 05:55 PM   #3
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyEagle1 View Post
I had the same issue. Did you go inside the Home Screen settings? For me I just touched the time display in the upper right hand corner of the main Home Screen near the wifi symbol, then I toggled to set automatically. Presto done.
Thanks for the suggestion! I had even tried a reset but as you suggested, toggling the Auto Time Setting did the trick. The system should change on its own with GPS reception and Auto-Time set. I suspect a bug.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:07 PM   #4
77SU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i; 2022 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
My vehicle is still not on Daylight Savings Time. I thought it would change automatically. I went into the time menu to change it but got the message "That Function is Not Available". I suspect I am missing something obvious and would appreciate any suggestions.
I've gotten the message, but it's been while the car was in motion. Once in park, I can change the settings. Which brings up the reason I have to do this more than twice a year. I was under the impression the Auto Time Setting would take care of the time changes going back and forth between Central and Eastern time zones, but the car doesn't change on its own. So I go into the settings during our trips and manually change the Chicago to/from New York time zones. Have I missed an automatic setting somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:48 PM   #5
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77SU View Post
I've gotten the message, but it's been while the car was in motion. Once in park, I can change the settings. Which brings up the reason I have to do this more than twice a year. I was under the impression the Auto Time Setting would take care of the time changes going back and forth between Central and Eastern time zones, but the car doesn't change on its own. So I go into the settings during our trips and manually change the Chicago to/from New York time zones. Have I missed an automatic setting somewhere?
I would bet it was intended that the Auto-Time-Setting switch was to automatically set times based on changing time zones, DST, etc. I think it is just another software flub but I welcome suggestions otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 07:22 PM   #6
TahoeDust
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan Pathfinder

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I had even tried a reset but as you suggested, toggling the Auto Time Setting did the trick. The system should change on its own with GPS reception and Auto-Time set. I suspect a bug.

Thanks again!
I had this same issue when changing time zones . Had to toggle the auto time setting to get it to update the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 08:16 PM   #7
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

I have the same issue. Looks like a bug.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 05:03 AM   #8
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Hello,

DISCLAIMER: The solution/tutorial down below is for the North American region only and so other regions may have a different experience.

For some dumb, yet odd reason, you need to be logged in with your profile id in order to enable the "automatic date and time" setting in iDrive 8, 8.5, and newer generations of iDrive 7

Guest profiles cannot enable that setting, which may explain the "function is not available" message. To make it worse, you cannot even manually change the time either....?????
NOTE: This can easily be seen in new inventory and showroom cars; not only is the time off, but you cannot enable the auto time setting and it will be greyed out and trying to enable the setting will give you a "function not available" message -______-

oh and to make it even worse... (sigh), when enabling the auto date/time setting, there are times when the time and location will be way off and the only fix that I've seen is to disable the auto date/time setting and then manually choosing the time location (e.g., choosing the Los Angeles Time zone for those residing in southern cali) - I've noticed this mainly with iDrive 8.5

Anyways, please make sure you are logged in with your profile id, which requires going through the myBMW app and scanning the QR code and all that.
NOTE: Your profile id may have a status reading "limited" and if this occurs, you then have to select your vehicle on the app and then continue on with the "accept terms and conditions" and "finish" and once your profile id has a status reading "ALL GOOD", you will then be finished and you can then enable the auto time/date setting

Ok so to recap:
1. Make sure you are logged in with your profile id in the car and it has a status reading "ALL GOOD"
2. If your profile status in the car reads "Limited", that means you need to finish the set up via the myBMW app
3. If you enable the auto date/time setting and it gives you the wrong time and time zone, the only fix I've come across is to disable the auto time setting and then manually changing the time zone, which will then give you the correct time.
(e.g., Southern California (socal) residents will have their time zone as Los Angeles)
4. If none of the above works, I would suggest trying to reset the iDrive system - this can be done by pressing and holding the volume button for 30 seconds with the engine running - this is the equivalence of turning your phone off and then back on.
5. Make sure your system is up to date

Hopefully this works and please let me (us) know if you have any additional questions!

PS - Driving with the Guest Profile pretty much limits what you can do in terms of settings and functionality. That said, I've noticed that with the most recent iDrive 8.5 update, it limits you even more (e.g., you can no longer save something like a radio station to presets or favorite). It seems they are really forcing people to use the app and have a profile (To be brutally honest, I drive a 2021 330i with iDrive 7 and the only thing I use the myBMW app for is to Remote Start my vehicle - I always carry my key when using my car. That said, I'm NOT saying the app is bad (its actually pretty good), but I use it on the daily for one thing only lol)

PSS - If you think iDrive 8 and 8.5 is bad? In my honest opinion, iDrive 9 in the new X1 and X2 is even worse.... and not only is there no iDrive controller in either model (touchscreen or voice only), but the screen is relatively small, glitches a lot, and I find myself having to take my eyes off the road more and more to use that thing.

I think iDrive 7 is still the best iDrive that I've experienced - I also find iDrive 6 and later gen iDrive 5 systems to be relatively unproblematic and easy to use.

Anyways, stay safe my BMW brothers and sisters! <3
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 08:20 AM   #9
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Thanks for the detailed rundown. I started to set up my Profile ID but it is already set-up with an "ALL Good" indication and I still had the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:05 PM   #10
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed rundown. I started to set up my Profile ID but it is already set-up with an "ALL Good" indication and I still had the problem.
Hmmmmm - are you able to change it manually (incl. Time Zone and date)?

I assume your iDrive is up to date with the most recent software update?

Last resort would be to either call the genius hotline (corporate) number or have your service center take a look at it.

Mannn - the way things are going? I imagine folks will eventually run out of patience and just tape their phone on to the iDrive screen lmao

Anyways, keep us posted and let us know if the problem corrects itself or if you come across another alternative solution!

Stay safe BMW brothas and sistas!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:16 PM   #11
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post
Hmmmmm - are you able to change it manually (incl. Time Zone and date)?

I assume your iDrive is up to date with the most recent software update? Yes

Last resort would be to either call the genius hotline (corporate) number or have your service center take a look at it. They ain't Geniuses

Mannn - the way things are going? I imagine folks will eventually run out of patience and just tape their phone on to the iDrive screen lmao

Anyways, keep us posted and let us know if the problem corrects itself or if you come across another alternative solution! Thanks again & Will Keep Everyone Posted

Stay safe BMW brothas and sistas!
Thanks for your inputs.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 02:31 PM   #12
BayBMWX7
Rep
Drives: BMW G07 X7 2024

Setting my 2024 to auto time zone would show me a wayyy off location and time. I had to disable it and set the time zone manually. Sad that such a basic feature is not working.
Appreciate 0