E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > New 7424xp and polishes / wax- whats left to get?

04-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

New 7424xp and polishes / wax- whats left to get?

Hey guys,
I finally went out and got some decent stuff to do my JB 335i.
The car has minor hairlines all over the place and is a slight bit dulled on the roof.
I used to do my black C5 vette myself but I had a Wen unit back then and it was a struggle.
Heres what I got (let me know if I need something else besides the usual I already have Adams Wash, detail spray, several buckets with the bottom screens, and MF Towels)

The Uber Porter Cable 7424XP with Menzerna Polishes 16 oz Kit:
http://detailersdomain.com/carcarepr...ekits/432.html

5 Pack: Uber Foam Pad 5.5 inch:
http://detailersdomain.com/carcarepr...5inch/543.html

P21S 100% Carnauba Paste Wax:
http://detailersdomain.com/carcarepr...bawax/545.html

So, did I do ok or should I have gone with some Black specific stuff?
The intent is to start out with a fairly abrasive compounding then med polish, fine polish, then 4 or 5 coats of wax over the course of a couple weeks.

I thought about clay but never really used it before and am doing things the way my dad taught me mixed with what I've read on all the forums.
Oh, I didn't go with Flex because I just don't trust myself. I did my Vette many times and did happen to burn an edge one time- that never happened again- argh.. so just being extra cautious this time around.

Thanks for any feedback!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

good job not going with the flex, you would've ruined your paint. The PC UDM series is excellent and you have all the right tools. i would definitely recommend claying the car, surface prep is 80% of the final shine imho. i would pick up a good spray detailer and some sealant as well, i know a couple companies make black specific products but a high grade carnauba will do you well. i personally like petes 53 by CG, dodo juice SN, or Cg wet butter. Menzerna makes great products although i usually prefer using Chemical Guys, just my taste. black is always tough to work with. just do some test spots in the SHADE, see how it looks after a wipe down, if the marring is to your satisfaction, use the same techniques and repeat results are attainable. it's going to take a lot of hands on work to learn the proper techniques.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevC View Post
...i personally like petes 53 by CG, dodo juice SN, or Cg wet butter...
How do you like the Dodo Juice? I just ordered some Blue Velvet to try.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I would pick up some clay. Others might not agree but I think it does a great job of getting the paint extra clean people polishing.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

First off you've got a lot of good stuff already, I would recommend that you clay though, it's easy and a worthwhile step if you're doing a full polish.

I own this kit for claying: http://detailersdomain.com/mm5/merch...FineClayBarKit

For polishing, don't assume you need the most aggresive polish, start with a 2x2 foot section on the car with a medium polish, if that takes out the swirls there's no need to use an aggressive polish, you'd just be wasting time and product. If a medium polish doesn't work then more on to something more aggressive.

As far as the wax goes you're fine with what you got, though 4-5 coats is overkill, 2 coats will do just fine, you're really not going to get much extra benefit beyond that.

Everyone has their own preferences as far as which waxes they like, I've used Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro and Supernatural on my car, I liked both, I'm going to do a side by side next time to see if I think the SN is worth the extra money. If you want some extra protection consider doing a sealant first. I personally like 1Z glanz because it's so easy to use but lots of people like Menzerna Powerlock and Blackfire Wet Diamond as well.

Good luck and post pics when you're done.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

+1000 on the overkill of 5 coats of wax. Frankly bonding diminishes with each coat where after a couple you are really waxing the wax. Remember though most carnubas only last 8 to 10 weeks tops so you would want to add another coat roughly every 2 months.

You should clay your finish prior to polishing, it's no brainer and a fine clay bar is a good place to start. You should do the wet baggy test to see how much embedded contaminants are on your paint. Basically with the finish wet put your hand inside a baggy and lightly run your hand/finger tips over the surface, you will feel the gunk, if it's very apparent then you might need a high quality clay bar if you barely feel the gunk you could get away with an OTC clay cleaner like mothers or clay magic. Just do not spare the lube whichever you use get it slippery. Polish after start on the worst appearing section with your meduim polish on a small section and see if the results are good for you, if not try the heavier compound. You could save time that way. Before you wax you'll want to do an IPA wipedown to get all the oils and residue from the polish off so the wax will bond to a clean surface. Have fun and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Bobble and I are very much on the same page, just to clarify one point he made. IPA = Rubbing Alchohol. fill a spray bottle 50/50 with distilled watter and rubbing alhocol, both can be purchased cheaply at a drug store. As he said, just makes sure your paint is 100% clean and ready for wax/sealant
Appreciate 0