BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
sfp power
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupee

Left / right height different

After i let my dealer lower my car on RDSport springs, there is a difference in frontheight. from highest point on rim straight up to the car, there is a difference of 0.7mm left/right. They did realigned it, but i noticed that my steering wheel is little bit to the left when going straight ahaid .

Is the difference in heigt due to the inpropper alignment ? Or is there someting wrong with the springs ?

Many thx
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
I installed Eibachs on my car last week and immediately noticed that the left (driver) side sits just a tad higher than the right. I know I installed everything correctly so I'm thinking that it is just the way it sits. Maybe someone with stock springs can confirm? I know the left side of the car is lighter than the right without the driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

do you really mean 0.7mm? That's the thickness of your finger nail.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Actually thinner than that .

I could bet my house no car is going to have less tolerance than that. If you meant 7mm (roughly 1/4"), it'd still not be bad at all IMO, especially on the driver's side. A normal driver would collapse the suspension that much, balancing the car out. Furthermore, depending where the dimensions were measured from, it could be bodywork differences in there too. A heavy driver can lower the car 1/4" easily, and shouldn't affect your steering. I'd get the car aligned before doing anything else. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
I had my dealer do an alignment and give me the ride heights on my car a couple of weeks ago. In my garage, there was a 6mm difference from side-to-side at the rear and at the front. On the alignment rack, it was within 1 mm - essentially zero. If the car isn't sitting on something perfectly flat, the measurements are meaningless.
Appreciate 0