BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum auto lighting and wiping system malfunction

06-06-2023, 07:10 PM   #1
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 40i

auto lighting and wiping system malfunction

My 22 40i started to having this message yesterday.

auto lighting and wiping system malfunction

Had anyone had the same issue?
Yesterday it was raining and the wiper started to sense the rain and do the wiping. Then all of a sudden this message pops. The wiper won’t turn off even when no rain if I set it to auto.

Called the dealer and the first available date is 6/23 which is ridiculous. For loaner option it would be 7/6 which would impact my plan for the 7/4 trip.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 01:09 AM   #2
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Where in CO are you? You may want to look at some other dealerships. BMW of Denver Downtown usually has a very short lead time on no-loaner service appointments - they could probably get you in on Friday or Saturday. Their lead time on loaners has been longer but it's probably worth calling them to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDDD0919 View Post
The wiper won’t turn off even when no rain if I set it to auto. ... it would be 7/6 which would impact my plan for the 7/4 trip. ... Any suggestions?
Use manual wipers during the trip? ;)
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2023, 01:44 PM   #3
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
Where in CO are you? You may want to look at some other dealerships. BMW of Denver Downtown usually has a very short lead time on no-loaner service appointments - they could probably get you in on Friday or Saturday. Their lead time on loaners has been longer but it's probably worth calling them to ask.

Use manual wipers during the trip?
I live at DTC area. I will give BMW Denver a call and see.

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 11:26 AM   #4
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Use manual wipers during the trip?
Checked in with BMW Denver today. They say it's probably the installation on my windshield replacement which was done by Safelite is not properly done. Now since the replacement of windshield is not done at BMW dealership, they won't cover the repair under warranty.

Now I need to take the car to Safelite shop to figure this out.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 04:57 PM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDDD0919 View Post
Checked in with BMW Denver today. They say it's probably the installation on my windshield replacement which was done by Safelite is not properly done. Now since the replacement of windshield is not done at BMW dealership, they won't cover the repair under warranty.

Now I need to take the car to Safelite shop to figure this out.
There's an SIB on Wiper motor Thermal Protection which might apply to your vehicle.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...33163-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 05:43 PM   #6
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

That SIB doesn't seem relevant, it's about the wipers reducing operation due to the motor overheating... the opposite of his issue. It seems very plausible that the rain-light sensor is not working properly due to an improper windshield installation.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 06:08 PM   #7
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That SIB doesn't seem relevant, it's about the wipers reducing operation due to the motor overheating... the opposite of his issue. It seems very plausible that the rain-light sensor is not working properly due to an improper windshield installation.
The shop says the KAFAS camera bracket in the windshield is broken and the rain sensor bracket is missing and attached with windshield glue. It will unfortunately need a new windshield due to the improper install.

WTF??!!

Now I need to take it to Safelite on Monday and see what they say about it.
Appreciate 0